Model 3

Where is the Sentry Clips Viewer?

I upgraded to 2020.36.10. Now when I get in the car I see the pop up message that there x number of Sentry events, But pressing on the message does nothing. Before it brought up the Sentry playback menu. I just rebooted the car to see if that would help but I will not be able to test it again until tomorrow.

But that brings me to my question - how do I bring up the sentry viewer from the screen when the Events message isn't showing. I cannot find anything in the menus to open the Sentry/Dashcam playback screen.

Comments

• When you’re in Park, tap the Tesla cam icon and it will drop down menu that includes “launch viewer.” Tap that.
  • Sometimes the viewer opens and sometimes not... Might be related to USB drive or recording state. Not sure yet.
  • All I have is sentry clips to view. For the past 2 months, my dash cam has not recorded my trips. Only records sentry and anything I save. I’ve been through 5 updates hoping the next one would correct it but still nothing. I’ve tried everything except service which seems like that’s what it’s going to take. I just kept hoping it was a bug.
  • I discovered that something happened to my usb drive. I noticed a warning triangle on the display today and when I touched it, it opened the log which said the dashcam drive was unavailable but my usb music was just fine. My SSD drive is 2 partitions, one for Video and one for Music. I plugged the drive into a PC and the music partition opened just fine but the video partition said it was damaged. I ran a repair on the damaged partition and everything is fine again. So it seems the reason tapping on the Sentry message wasn't working is because the drive was damaged and the video could not be loaded. Sentry was still seeing events, it just wasn't able to record any video because the drive was corrupt.

The drive seems to have gotten corrupted during my 2020.36.10 update. If I wasn't using multiple partitions I would have been able to reformat the drive in the car to fix the problem. But the PC fix was simple and I didnt lose any of the videos already on the drive running the repair.

Thanks for the help with how to locate the viewer.
  • @rdovale_98071393

Im not aware of the dash cam constantly recording while driving. I am however aware that there is a "record on honk" function or similarly worded that will record a segment if you honk the horn.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > @rdovale_98071393
    >
    > Im not aware of the dash cam constantly recording while driving. I am however aware that there is a "record on honk" function or similarly worded that will record a segment if you honk the horn.

If the DashCam is enabled it will keep the last hour of driving video in the Recent folder. If save on honk is enabled it will copy the last 10 minutes into the Saved folder any time you honk.
  • Gotcha i should check my flash drive then i've had it in for over a week.
  • Also check if your dashcam and sentry are on. Both icons on the top right of the screen. Sentry is a dashed circle with a red dot if its on and dashcam is a camera icon with a red dot if its on. If no red dots just press the icon to turn them on. Save on honk I think is in the security/safety menu.

One thing I did discover. If your usb drive is too big it will save too much video and the Viewer will take forever to load. You better off with 100 GB or less for your Video drive. I had a terabyte and the more video it kept the longer the viewer took to open. I was up to about 250 GB and it was taking 2+ minutes for the viewer to open.
  • Sentry is on, i turned it on in the car and the app says its active. The red dot was present when i got out this morning. But i will definitely check and see if there are any videos in the flash drive
  • Everything is enabled there’s definitely an issue. I tried everything to fix it. I haven’t had time to get with service especially if I have to go to the service center being 2 hours away.
  • I am sure the answer is yes, but back to basics.

Have you reformatted the drive using the Tesla itself (to test) and rebooting the car?
  • > @rdovale_98071393 said:
    > Everything is enabled there’s definitely an issue. I tried everything to fix it. I haven’t had time to get with service especially if I have to go to the service center being 2 hours away.

Do you have a warning triangle near the Sentry Icon? If you do, tap it and see if your logs show a warning about the USB drive.
  • Leaving work today i saw a notification on the screen as soon as i got in, 7 events that day. I also found dashcam footage totaling 45 minutes saved in there. So cool! I watched every person who walked by my car today. Couple of the videos skipped slightly so i probably need a faster thumb drive, that one is a few years old.
  • Make sure you clean up your sentry clips. Too many and the player will be slow to respond. If all you have on your drive is Video (No music) and you don't need any of the saved videos the fastest thing to do is format the stick from the security menu. If you have videos you want to save then don't format it!
  • No warning sign
  • Watched each one and deleted them.