General

90% Chance of Societal Collapse from Deforestation

If you’re on the west coast you’re probably stuck inside breathing HEPA air while Newsom and Trump duke it out over whether the planet is warming. Meanwhile, the US Department of Forestry says 95% of fires are human caused and none of our enlightened leaders are paying any lip service to the fact that it’s mostly business as usual for humans and developers at the WUI (Wildland/Urban Interface). Many communities being rebuilt from the 2018 fires are having overhead power lines reinstalled. Here in California the state even subsidizes fire insurance to encourage living and building in areas that will only increase fire risk by having more humans present.

Everyone talking about prescribed burns and better forest management, but with more people moving into the woods and building, it’s becoming impossible to do that. Why aren’t our leaders speaking to this issue when the science is sound? Everything about our way of life will get worse if we can’t save the forests.

The most obvious answer here that money won’t appreciate is we have to ban human activity in wildlands during high fire seasons and put a moratorium on development at the WUI, in addition to new zoning establishing an absolute perimeter for fire risk infrastructure.

But no - none of that is being discussed openly by our enlightened leaders. Instead we’re being asked to put literally everything on pause for globalism and development so the pandemics can spread and the fires and burn, but for what - the new normal? Urban sprawl is only a 70 year old design concept and we live a good chunk of our lives in cars thanks to the wisdom of that, and all we have to show for it are cities and towns at risk of total destruction.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-63657-6

Comments

• “ Urban sprawl is only a 70 year old design concept and we live a good chunk of our lives in cars thanks to the wisdom of that”

Pandemics may increase the desirability or urban sprawl.
  • I’ve said this before - the west coast wants the 7 billIon people living around the world to immigrate to their area. How can environmental responsibility and over population coexist? It can’t except in a liberal’s mind.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > “ Urban sprawl is only a 70 year old design concept and we live a good chunk of our lives in cars thanks to the wisdom of that”
    >
    > Pandemics may increase the desirability or urban sprawl.

If you’re stressed from being trapped by a pandemic and fire you can do certain things to chase the stress away. Government can subsidize it or ignore it. Some people will drink alcohol tonight or take drugs to cope. Some will exercise the stress away and wake up tomorrow feeling better than the people with hangovers. A government that subsidizes the booze and drugs but ignores the cause of stress and the people trying to do something positive about it is not “government of the people, by the people, for the people.” It’s anti-human.

That’s my point.
  • > @phil4791eng_98746796 said:
    > I’ve said this before - the west coast wants the 7 billIon people living around the world to immigrate to their area. How can environmental responsibility and over population coexist? It can’t except in a liberal’s mind.

And they’ve done studies on this before. The entire population of the world can fit comfortably inside the Texas panhandle with land to spare for every man, woman and child there but it would require ultra efficient urban planning and resource management the likes of which modern governments aren’t capable of.

Also I don’t appreciate people who try to turn a survival topic into a polemic. This isn’t a liberal or conservative issue.
  • Okay, start building the apartments for the 7 billion in the Texas panhandle and let me know how that works out. I’d like to see the traffic and sewage system for starters. Are these the same folks handling the COVID studies? Let’s be real and not live in the “studies” realm where people can have any study outcome they want.
  • > @6EQUJ5 said:
    > > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > > “ Urban sprawl is only a 70 year old design concept and we live a good chunk of our lives in cars thanks to the wisdom of that”
    > >
    > > Pandemics may increase the desirability or urban sprawl.
    >
    > If you’re stressed from being trapped by a pandemic and fire you can do certain things to chase the stress away.

I’m not. I exercise outside frequently. But i live in a somewhat rural place. If were living in a high rise apartment with perhaps a tiny balcony during a lockdown, I’d probably not have handled it as well.

My point, however, is that people going forward may desire to live less densely as a reaction, perhaps overreaction if you wish, to pandemics. Personally I don’t think our species is meant to live on top of eachother. We are tribal by nature.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > > @6EQUJ5 said:
    > > > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > > > “ Urban sprawl is only a 70 year old design concept and we live a good chunk of our lives in cars thanks to the wisdom of that”
    > > >
    > > > Pandemics may increase the desirability or urban sprawl.
    > >
    > > If you’re stressed from being trapped by a pandemic and fire you can do certain things to chase the stress away.
    >
    > I’m not. I exercise outside frequently. But i live in a somewhat rural place. If were living in a high rise apartment with perhaps a tiny balcony during a lockdown, I’d probably not have handled it as well.
    >
    > My point, however, is that people going forward may desire to live less densely as a reaction, perhaps overreaction if you wish, to pandemics. Personally I don’t think our species is meant to live on top of eachother. We are tribal by nature.

I already saw your point and moved past it which was my way of tacitly agreeing, but I’m also saying government as it exists now is encouraging sprawl and soaring real estate prices in city centers, i.e. helping people get an illusory solution to a real problem.

I don’t think we can effectively argue the merits of how humans are supposed to live without subtracting 95% of the population and erasing the industrial revolution first.
  • Fair enough.