Model 3

Erratic braking for NO reason

We are experiencing sudden erratic braking on autopilot without no apparent reason.
We almost got rear ended in two occasions.
It happened again 3 times today. This is very dangerous! An accident waiting to happen.
I am losing confidence using the autopilot now. I will NOT recommend this vehicle to friends and family.
I hope this problem can be resolved ASAP.
Hoping to hear from Tesla.
Thanks

Comments

• This has been reported by others.
    If it happens to you again file a bug report.
    Let us know if you hear from Tesla.
  • Did these occur while approaching an over pass on a divided highway?
  • Well, usually this is caused by dark shadow like a bridge. And one can easily press the accelerator to cancel it. Also most phantom braking will only slow down a few MPH before the car realize that the shadow is not a wall.
  • Almost rear ended not the same as actually rear ended. Thanks for drama we heard it million times before. Also erotic braking sounds fun )
  • Gentle slowing is not the same as “erratic braking”

I almost got hit by 3 asteroids today (for some definition of ‘almost’), but I didn’t. I hope someone solves this problem before one of us gets hit by an asteroid.
  • I suspect the code rewrite will significantly improve these issues. The system will stitch together the feeds from all 8 cameras into a single video and then the system can analyze video segments rather than individual frames.
  • Check the sensor and camera surfaces to make sure they are clean! Also the AP distance settings may be set too close.
  • edited September 16
    > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > I suspect the code rewrite will significantly improve these issues. The system will stitch together the feeds from all 8 cameras into a single video and then the system can analyze video segments rather than individual frames.

I'm unclear how that would be any different. Using processing power to stitch together multiple feeds and then analyzing the results versus analyzing the individual feeds would seem to be a net zero. Can you elaborate? Perhaps it would mean the system doesn't analyze subjects shared between multiple cameras, cutting down on redundancy.
  • I haven't seen a lot of detail on the code rewrite. Elon stated it would be a quantum leap forward. He has also mentioned that it will essentially build a 3D representation (emulating lidar) and improved object labeling. If that is the case, the software should be able to distinguish a shadow from a physical object.
  • Albuera9,

"Phantom braking" as you describe it is a common occurrence for everyone using TACC and AP. I don't use either one because the risk to myself and others is something I can not live with. Besides I do not find either TACC or AP relaxing to use. I would just assume drive myself.

Tesla has never responded to the phantom braking issue in anyway that I am aware off. There are plenty of Tesla fanatics on this forum that do and simply down play the seriousness or deny it even happens.

My suggestion would be to file a NTSB complaint/report. This is the only way Tesla will actually address the issue.

Embarrassingly enough, I see that someone has flagged your post as abusive which is just childish but common with the Tesla fanatics on this forum.

Good luck with and stay safe.
  • I believe the current iteration makes little use of the processing capabilities. A 3D map from 2D without depth information seems difficult. Maybe they can get it with a known depth of field of the cameras, although I suspect they’re extremely wide.

That being said, I’m often impressed at what software can do and am certainly not an expert in this area. It will be interesting to watch it unfold!
  • How refreshing. Howard now suggests "My suggestion would be to file a NTSB complaint/report. This is the only way Tesla will actually address the issue."
  • I wonder how much it costs to hire a long term review of a vehicle?
  • > @howard_98305575 said:
    > Albuera9,
    >
    > "Phantom braking" as you describe it is a common occurrence for everyone using TACC and AP.

Howard that is a lie. It is a very rare occurrence for many.

> Tesla has never responded to the phantom braking issue in anyway that I am aware off. There are plenty of Tesla fanatics on this forum that do and simply down play the seriousness or deny it even happens.

Tesla responds to bug reports. Phantom Braking is a corner case and when Tesla gets the feedback data from bug reports they address it.

> My suggestion would be to file a NTSB complaint/report. This is the only way Tesla will actually address the issue.

Bullshit, they continuously improve and it requires feedback in the form of bug reports to make it happen. Trying to hold an outside agency as a hammer over their head is not the "only" way.

Howard you are digressing to making up lies now.
  • Howard and Fish two faces of the same coin.
  • Right on cue! The same little group of fanatics defends Tesla. Phantom Braking is an issue that you can and others can call a lie if you like but go ahead and do a search. Pahtom Braking is a pervasive safety problem that is being reported on all the forums and has been for years. Phantom braking needs to be addressed. Period! The NTSB is the appropriate agency to do so. If the NTSB does investigate and determines that Phantom Braking is safe then so be it but we all know that would not be the case. What exactly has you all so worried that you don't want to see the safety of a Tesla improve? Stock price?
  • Have to get all your Autopilot jabs in before the re-written software is released around the end of the year. Just like how in the past, gotta get all those production problem jabs in before they fix it, gotta get all those profitability jabs in before they start making money, gotta get all those quality control/assurance jabs in before they fix their production quality.

Each narrative has a finite life span, its always on to the next one once its fixed. Never acknowledge the improvements that eradicated the previous narrative. Part of why i dont care for the people that have this attitude.
    > Right on cue! The same little group of fanatics defends Tesla. Phantom Braking is an issue that you can and others can call a lie if you like but go ahead and do a search. Pahtom Braking is a pervasive safety problem that is being reported on all the forums and has been for years. Phantom braking needs to be addressed. Period! The NTSB is the appropriate agency to do so. If the NTSB does investigate and determines that Phantom Braking is safe then so be it but we all know that would not be the case. What exactly has you all so worried that you don't want to see the safety of a Tesla improve? Stock price?

Howard, your lie is you said it is common for everyone. I acknowledge some experience it and I have experienced it in the past at locations I no longer experience it. Tesla encourages us to file bug reports so they can address the corner case scenarios. Why are you digressing to making up pure Bullshit? Can you provide data as to how many braking events resulted in an accident, not just a scare?

You seemed more reasonable in the past but now you are making stuff up.
    > Right on cue! The same little group of trolls bashing Tesla.

Fixed your typo for you.
  • Phantom braking happened whole 2 times in 1800 miles round trip. Oh no, how did I survive such a dangerous events. I am writing to my Senator to address this life treating flaw of Audi my bad Tesla. /s
  • I have experienced phantom braking, but it is a rare occurrence. Just rest your foot on the accelerator and override it. Is it a problem? Yes. Has it actually caused accidents? Possibly, but there aren't any documented cases. Will it get fixed? I would speculate that it is addressed with the upcoming code rewrite.
  • "Pahtom Braking is a pervasive safety problem"

How so? How many deaths attributed? Are you including AEB across all vehicle makes in this statement?

Why do you always say Period! Does that give weight to your personal opinions?

"What exactly has you all so worried that you don't want to see the safety of a Tesla improve? Stock price?"

No one is worried or against improvements. Its the basis of over the air updates that Tesla provides. So clever to try turn the tables, a very common practice these days.
  • I'll just drop this here. It involves howard's magnificent road car

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/investigation-vw-and-audi-brake-systems-randomly-engaging/
  • sorry for the multiple posts.

“Most satisfying systems, according to CR members: Genesis, Lexus, Tesla.”
  • Imagine a video frame with a 360 degree view as you travel through time and space. You are capable of processing the changes in each frame and determine the relative position of each object detected in each succeeding frame and can assign a label to identify each object detected. Each label is assigned a weighted value to identify if it is passive or a threat. Add in a time component and the threat will be moving towards or away from an encounter. If moving towards, calculate whether or not evasive action is required. If not a threat, and even if it is, continue to calculate where you are relative to your environment and continue doing this at the rate of 17 trillion calculations per second. End result is the potential for a level 5 autonomous vehicle.
    This is admittedly an over simplified description of how this could work but I think the general concept is how this process will unfold.