General

Tesla approved aftermarket rims?

Is there a source of info for Telsa-approved wheels? Are there any besides what's sold in the Tesla shop?
There are some manufacturers of aftermarket wheels/rims that say are made specifically for Tesla vehicles. Can anyone tell me about their experience? I want to know if there are any issues or compromises from installing these.
Thanks a lot.

Comments

• I bought a set of VMR wheels, they worked perfectly on my S. Look for Velocity Motor Racing.
  • "Made specifically for...……" That is an out and out pure market bit. That's just means the bolt pattern will match what is on a Tesla which is nothing "exotic". Anytime a company says "made specifically", that means they are jacking up the price for no reason other than marketing.
  • Approved by whom? If by tesla, I imagine no, but don’t let that stop you.
  • Try here:

https://tsportline.com/
  • Try HRE:

https://www.hrewheels.com/
  • @Blue

Very nice wheels but the S209 is the only one that looks like it belongs on a Tesla and that one was designed for a Lambo.

That's 100% opinion though.
  • @TabascoGuy

FWIW, you can put ANY rim on ANY car.

Since the addition of aftermarket rims is more a matter of customization than anything else, when all is said and done, it all boils down to individual taste as it's all really just a matter of personal preference.

To that end it's really not a question of whether or not it "looks like it belongs" on the car so much as it is one of whether or not the individual likes the look of a particular set of rims on their car, or rather what their "opinion" of them on their ride is, as you say.

Also, HRE offers fabrication services and will 'make' you a set of rims from scratch according to your specs if you so desire.
  • @blue "FWIW, you can put ANY rim on ANY car."

Not every rim is available in every size, as is the case with many aftermarket rims. One has to insure the diameter, offset, and, bolt pattern matches the vehicle requirements.

When I said "looks like it belongs", yes I was taking styling into consideration. I was also considering that the wheels on a Tesla will influence range, and, to a lesser degree performance. Tesla has no doubt put a lot of R&D into their wheels so I myself would not put just any aftermarket rim on mine just because it fit or looked cool.

The fabrication service is intriguing, especially if you could get a one off design that you had input on. I'm sure the price tag for that would fall into the Wowza category though.
  • @TabascoGuy

"You get what you pay for" is how, I believe, the saying goes.

Conversely, when you're paying for it, you get what you want which is why I mentioned HRE's fabrication services.

Those guys are professionals and cover all aspects of wheel fabrication down to specific weights, lateral, radial, tangential stiffness, tensile strengths and so on.

That's how you can get "every rim...in every size", ANY rim in fact.
  • HRE is fine. They are relatively near me and I typically attend their open house. The engineering they showed on the screen in 2018 was a bit alarming (boundary conditions were wrong for structural analysis of a wheel), but I assume they were just showing "something" to the general public, not a real analytical model.
  • Was it that they were showing the boundary conditions for a typical/conventional wheel or one of their innovative composites that they were using to demonstrate the differences compared too a conventional wheel?
  • They showed a distributed radial load inward across the rim. That would imply they’re analyzing their wheels against tire pressure.
  • I think that that was to show that the sum of the horizontal components of the force vector due to the normal static loads does not change the resultant state of stress in the rotating wheel relative to a direction normal to the surface of the road.

In layman's terms, they were demonstrating that the stresses put on the rim/wheel by the tire and/or its interaction with the roadway in no way affected their product's (the wheel) structural integrity.
  • edited September 23
    They had no restraints. They had no load at the hub. They had no load at the ground. It was literally a wheel with an even radial load around the rim; it's indicative of nothing. They shouldn’t have to demonstrate that the tire doesn’t affect integrity. That should go without saying.

Again, I rationalize it as “pretty pictures” for the audience, not a real condition they found important. But I did raise my eyebrow.

And I love their 3D printed wheels. I grilled the GE guy (GE makes them; HRE doesn't have a metal printer) last year. They were displaying 3D printed titanium wheels on a McLaren P1 and Ford GT.

https://i.imgur.com/YUOwOEu.jpg
  • IDK, maybe I'm not understanding you, but it occurs to me that demonstrating that the application of "an even radial load around the rim" (such as would be encountered during high "G" cornering) without affecting the rim's shape/causing deflection or warpage would effectively prove the superiority of its (the rim's) structural integrity..."?"

Since it is the 'tire' that is, ultimately, the rim's primary point of contact with the road's surface, how it (the tire) interacts with the roadway could, potentially, affect the rim's integrity (ever hit a pothole at speed?).

Perhaps it was just a display, just "pretty pictures", but I'd like to suggest a bit of caution based on the wisdom that "a picture is worth a thousand words" IF you understand what it is saying/depicting.

Titanium is suh-weet!