Model 3

Security of 3rd party smart watch apps

I've got a garmin smart watch, which I'd love to use to control my Model 3. There are a choice of 3rd party apps that claim to replicate many of the features of my phone app.

However I'm reluctant to test them, as I dont really think that it is secure for me to put my username/password into any non Tesla produced app.

Am I being paranoid? does anyone else use any of these apps? I am guessing that if Tesla planned on providing smart watch support, it would have done so by now?

Comments

• Plenty of people use third-party Tesla apps, and all of them require your credentials. Pick an app that many others have used. I don’t know what the options are for a Garmin device.
  • 3rd party smart watches apps are, in general, no less secure than any 3rd party apps because none of them are any more secure than those who wrote the apps.
    With all of them, you're giving your Tesla credentials to some total stranger on the internet. They can do pretty much anything they want with your car once they have those credentials.
  • > @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" said:
    > 3rd party smart watches apps are, in general, no less secure than any 3rd party apps because none of them are any more secure than those who wrote the apps.
    > With all of them, you're giving your Tesla credentials to some total stranger on the internet. They can do pretty much anything they want with your car once they have those credentials.

True, but I haven't seen any reports of established third-party Tesla app developers using credentials in an unauthorized way. Have you?
  • There is a tesla app for Garmin Watch?