Model 3

I need new tires soon and I'm getting conflicting recommendations.

Hi All, hope you don't mind the new thread cause I know there's been a few tire threads but I had a specific question around the Crossclimates. I have a RWD and hitting 16k miles at about 2-3/32nds so I'll need new ones before ( a generally mild) Winter in Delaware. I was looking at the Crossclimate 2 cause Costco has a sale, but the man working there cringed when I mentioned them. He said they're loud and basically a winter tire they're trying to pass off as all-weather. He said any directional tire will be too loud for a Tesla. I haven't been thrilled with the stock tires, but they haven't been terrible.
Price isn't too much of an issue as I'm a firm believer that tires aren't something you should cheap out on. I expect ~$1,000. Tire tread mileage isn't TOO vital, but I'd like at least 30k.
On top of all this, Tire Rack recommends the Crossclimates. Who do I believe?

Comments

• If you're looking for a good winter tire, Blizzaks are probably the best. All season should go with Michelin. Yes they are expensive but they wont wear out on you in 16k miles. If you are light on your pedals, they should last you like 50k miles.
  • Never heard of Crossclimates. I am in CT and have gone through 6 winters with my Model S and never once put snow tires on it. I also have stuck to the Michelin Primacys that the car came with. BTW if you are at 2/32, you are now at the legal limit for the tires to be road worthy.
  • Michelin’s and Blizzaks lasted me just over 30k miles. The only outlier tire I’ve had is the XIce which I rode on for 12 months straight. They were taken out by a pothole at 58k miles. Unlike other winter tires, they had decent summer traction.
    I understand balking at the unconventional appearance of the Cross Climates, because that was my reaction. Several people have been very happy with them here, though. I’ve never heard that directional tires were an issue. News to me. My last go to AS tire was the Pilot A/S 3 +, for the 3 and S. No complaints.
  • My god i just looked at the Michelin Primacys. Reviews on their website from people who claim they lasted less than 20k miles on their Tesla vehicles. Does everyone floor it out of every stopsign & stoplight?
  • “Does everyone floor it out of every stopsign & stoplight?”

I can’t speak for everyone... but yes.
  • Ya, that's the problem with reviews, you don't know the context/how they drove. I have always gotten at least 36,000 miles out of a set of Primacys.
  • Problem with people that parrot reviews is they read a few and jump to "everyone".
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > My god i just looked at the Michelin Primacys. Reviews on their website from people who claim they lasted less than 20k miles on their Tesla vehicles. Does everyone floor it out of every stopsign & stoplight?

🙂 can you blame people who floor it?

Michelin has honored their mileage warranty on my tires, so they were not a bad deal at all.
  • @vmulla_98067114

I cant blame anyone. Did they actually give you new tires for free? That seems like a free pass to abuse your tires.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > @vmulla_98067114
    >
    > I cant blame anyone. Did they actually give you new tires for free? That seems like a free pass to abuse your tires.

They didn't give free tires, but they did prorate the cost of new Michelin tires by taking into account my tire wear against their rated mileage. Its a good move on Michelin, it gives customers like me a good reason to stay loyal. It makes good sense - these are tires Tesla picked for the car, they are reasonably priced and are backed by a mileage warranty.
    As far as 'licence to abuse the tires' is concerned, there's always going to be that chance. But it's likely those folks are going to be repeat customers.
  • Michelin tires on the original RWD Performance S could barely make 12k miles in the rear. RWD and P variants come with a cost. The fronts last about twice as long.
  • You should run Nitrogen in your tires. Too soon?
  • > @"Magic 8 Ball" said:
    > You should run Nitrogen in your tires. Too soon?

never too soon :D
  • Good point vmulla.
  • Because nitrogen doesn't follow the laws of physics.
  • Blizzaks are a good snow tire, I had them on my Volt, but they are loud.
  • One more thing about snow tires at Costco, they don't warranty them.
  • Yeah, but Costco puts in Nitrogen for free, so there is that. 😁
  • Thanks everyone! I'm looking for a nice All Season, so I'll check out the recommendations. I don't floor it often, but I have fun. I'm surprised my stock 18in tires wore out so fast ~16k, but I've heard factory installed tires are very different from normal tires.
  • Factory installed tires are normal tires, no different than what we buy when we go to the tire shop.
  • I've heard conflicting information about tires being different based on whether they were provided on a new car vs tire shop.
  • The great unsolved tire conspiracy, game on.
  • http://oncars.blogspot.com/2011/11/why-new-car-tires-wear-out-so-fast.html

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/oem-tires-vs-store-bought-tires.128033/

Easy to find both sides of the argument. Probably not worth going down that rabbit hole.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > I've heard conflicting information about tires being different based on whether they were provided on a new car vs tire shop.

@Bighorn,

I know there are different versions of primacy mxm4s. There are atleast 4 different part numbers for tires with the same name and measurements; and not all of them have acoustic foam. Some of these part numbers have lower tire wear warranties (30k vs 45k), you'll have to dig into the details of the tire spec sheet to figure it out.

Here's the info I gathered when I replaced my tires in 2018.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/142968/update-tire-replacement-research-primacy-mxm4-18-costco-tires-now-have-acoustic-tech/p1
  • I've had Blizzaks on both my previous sedans and while yes they are definitely loud, the grip and traction in snowy conditions is unmatched. If thats what you're looking for that is.