Model Y

Question: VIN Number Increment - does it really tell build date?

Just received the text that our MY is ready for delivery (2nd attempt - rejected the 1st due to quality issues). VIN appears to be a little less than +8000 from the 1st one that I rejected.

However, when I look at the "just teslas" online site, I see 3 "demo" MYs being sold directly from Tesla with between ~2800 - 3800 miles on them. Their listed VINs appear to be later than the ones Tesla has tagged for us (the 1st rejected model and now the 2nd one).

* blue: 5YJYGDEE4LF008313 (North Carolina)
* wht: 5YJYGDEE4LF012832 (North Carolina)
* red: 5yJYGDEF2LF012594 (Arizona)

I'm assuming these are later builds as the VIN number is larger than the ones tagged for me (mine has all the same starting numbers/letters 5YJYGDEE.., but mine has a 1 rather than the 2 or 4 of the above).

Does this mean that the ones being delivered to me are an earlier build than the above ones? Anyone know how to interpret the VIN numbering scheme to help determine build date when comparing VINs?

Comments

• VINs aren’t necessarily sequential.
  • Just did a google look-up (sorry should've done before posting). I now understand the 5YJYGDEE interpretation, but am still not certain what the following number represents (4 vs 2 vs 1). Some sites refer to it as "Digit 9: Check Digit To be assigned by manufacturer pursuant to 49 CFR § 565.6(c)".

Any idea what the "check" number represents?
  • Sorry - more google'ing and now understand the "check" digit. Any way to delete a useless post such as this one that I've started? :)
  • > @knaviaux_98152555 said:
    > Sorry - more google'ing and now understand the "check" digit. Any way to delete a useless post such as this one that I've started? :)

Not useless. I thought they were sequential. Please explain what the "check" digit is and save us a Google :0)
  • A "check" digit verifies the algorithm to create the VIN is accurate and legit.