Model 3

What happened to my Model 3 today?

This is regarding my 2018 Model 3, with 4,000 miles, recent HW upgrade:

I was in my apartment and my phone notified my my Model 3 alarm went off. So I went downstairs to check on it, and it was fine; however I could not get into the car. Both bluetooth and keycard failed to allow me in the vehicle. So, I decided to walk around to the other side of the car, and both passenger doors worked.

Once I got in the car, I scooted over to the driver seat. I noticed the driver door was non-functional (both door opening and window controls). I could not roll down the passenger window from the driver side panel, but I could from the passenger panel.

The cars computer was functioning but presented 3 or 4 error messages including "acceleration and top speed reduced", and "Steering assist reduced". All kinds of other warning indicators were present.

The car would not operate (shifting into drive was not possible). Attempts to reset it via pressing in both scroll wheels for 10-20 sec did not work. In fact the scroll wheels were totally non-functional as they did not adjust volume.

The AC was not functioning and the lights in both the mirrors and the roof of the car would not turn on.

I called service and after a 1-hr wait, they came and did factory reboot, tried jumping it, and then ended up towing it to the service center.

Just want to know if anyone can give me any insight here. Haven't heard back from service yet, they got the car around closing time.

Comments

• Best bet: Bad 12V battery. There's been a batch of these. On the other hand, there are other wiring errors. It'll be fixed under warranty, I'm sure.
  • > @Tronguy said:
    > Best bet: Bad 12V battery. There's been a batch of these. On the other hand, there are other wiring errors. It'll be fixed under warranty, I'm sure.

Well that's re-assuring. Hopefully nothing major and once it's resolved it won't be an issue moving forward. I can't help but wonder about something like this happening while traveling or not at home.

Is the 12V battery responsible for specific functions such as those I mentioned (AC, left side doors, overhead lights), but not others? To be totally honest I didn't even know there was a 12V battery in the car, much less than it could totally make the vehicle inoperable and cause such a major inconvenience.
  • The one sidedness makes me think of something like a wiring harness or a fuse vs a 12V.
  • I'm curious how you scooted over to the driver seat from the passenger.
  • There was another thread from someone who was locked out of his car because two controllers were blown. Wouldn't be surprised if this is similar except that it's only the drivers side controller. Let us know what the final diagnosis is.
  • Even the emergency door lift was not able to open the door? Or you didn't try that?
  • Could it be a VCLEFT failure? With so many parts of the left side (more than just the door) but everything perfectly working on the right side it kind of makes me wonder if the vehicle controller left-side board self destructed somehow. Weird failure.
  • I realize it’s immaterial to the failure, but I just tried to get from the passenger side of the car into the drivers seat and wasn’t able to. I am 6’6” which may explain why I couldn’t get my legs over the console. However I can’t imagine anyone could “scoot” over to the other side.
  • If I had to, I am sure I could get from one side to the other, (probably have some foot prints where I would prefer they not be) but I would rather reach over and pull the emergency door open lever and then walk around and get in.

I agree with lessrandom, VCLEFT sounds possible. I hope jmm9 finds out soon and posts the update.
  • lbowroom
    Posted 1:23PM
    I realize it’s immaterial to the failure, but I just tried to get from the passenger side of the car into the drivers seat and wasn’t able to. I am 6’6” which may explain why I couldn’t get my legs over the console. However I can’t imagine anyone could “scoot” over to the other side.

Correct it is not. Why try other than to call the OP a liar or you want to call out his use of scoot. Really? You would really go to the trouble. Just flat out amazing. But really funny and laughable. Thank you!
  • Thanks H the comedian for your helpful insight. Bye
  • Howard has issues with plausibility or the lack thereof.
  • TabascoGuy, I believe the OP and would certainly not go out and try to crawl across my car to make a point. Really.
  • When I don’t understand something, I ask questions. Haven’t called anyone a liar. Why are you openly attacking me for my curiosity?

Maybe I’m missing something. Perhaps in some markets there is no center console. Maybe he meant reached over. Who knows? But the description didn’t make sense as written. Why wouldn’t I question it?
  • I’ve been charged $11,852.50 ($8,620.00+ $3,232.50) for a 2d time. The first time around they credited back my CC, but the 2d time it is taking a lot of useless calls to Tesla. No one is taking responsibility and no one is explaining what’s going on.
    I never ordered autopilot and self driving. I see I am not the only one with this problem.
    Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve it once and forever.
    I just called the CC and asked them to dispute the charge.
  • @lbowroom oops I may have accidentally flagged you. I didn’t think you had called anyone a liar by the way.
  • > @lbowroom said:
    Why are you openly attacking me for my curiosity?
    >
    It is never simple "curiosity" but a lame attempt to disprove, disparage or otherwise defend Telsa which is why you apparently went out to your car to try to “scoot” across from the passenger seat to the driver’s seat and reported that you couldn't. It is just so comical and then you just play the innocent card. Even more comical. I can't ever imagine doing the same but I don’t have anything to prove or disprove. Please keep going.
  • at least he was on topic. Thread derail #10,321 from howard. How about we get back to the topic.
  • So I locked myself out of my car yesterday. Thankfully I was able to get in through the sunroof. No problem right howard?
  • Joshan
    Posted 3:25PM
    at least he was on topic.

Not really per his own admission:

lbowroom
    Posted 1:23PM
    I realize it’s immaterial to the failure

Same as your post so why not practice what you preach. Can't got to defend the botherhood.
  • "Hey, I came across a model X driver yesterday who was locked out of his car because his phone as key wasn't working right." true story, right?
  • howard, you never question any possibly negative info about Tesla, but anything positive is a fanboi lying.....
  • > @howard_98305575 said:
    > Same as your post so why not practice what you preach. Can't got to defend the botherhood.

Mope, just calling out assholes as I see them. Done it to the "brotherhood" also, last I checked I got told to F off last week by M8B, but hey keep spouting lies, it's all you got.
  • Quit picking on Howard, he has issues.

#savehoward
  • Hey, H the comedian why don't you answer why you bothered with Volt if you are so over green mission and EVs in general?