Solar Roof

12.8 kWh Tesla Solar Glass roof only outputs MAX PEEK now is 5.0 kWh

Starting a new thread now that Tesla has been on site a few times . They did find a few ground faults which were more than likely the cause of the dropout on the 2 Inverters when it hit 7-8 kWh. The NEW problem now is that that my MAX is 5.0 kWh. Tesla is activity investigating. The 3 PowerWalls only charge to to around 10% daily. Tesla support did say they believe it's only producing about 40% of what they would expect. So at least they've admitted there is an issue. (Inverters are M4 & M8 with firmware 3.03)

Comments

• Sort of having the same issue here. It's been lees than a week so far.

Initially the system would not charge the powerwall, after calling they saw the solar supply was reading negative causing some faults. The CT is likely installed in reverse, they were able to invert it in software. Prior to the swap I was seeing up to 8.2kW (w/o the powerwall charging) . Now I get a max of 5kW, especially when the powerwall is charging (which is all the time).
  • I took Thermal Image shots via Drone and showed them either missing tiles or non working tiles (can't see how to post picts here) . Tesla was pretty thankful for the shots and will be out here again next week to check MCIs, Tiles, and strings.
  • Instantaneous *power* production is in Watts (W), or Kilowatts (kW). That's usually indicated as a theoretical maximum rating, usually not achievable anywhere but in a lab, so don't expect the nameplate rating anywhere but in ideal conditions.

The *energy* produced is power over time, and is in Watt-hours (Wh), or Kilowatt-hours (kWh).

Under ideal conditions, a 300W panel can produce 300Wh in an hour. A 10kW array can commonly produce 50kWh in a day, depending on many variables, such as weather, siting, etc.

I'm not trying to minimize your concerns about your system under-performing. It clearly has issues. I'm just trying to bring some clarity to proper unit usage.
  • I feel your pain. I have a 10.4 kW system that peaked once around 7.1 kW and never above 5.1 kW since. Production has been hovering around 28-30 kWh per day (the best I saw on the truly perfect day with the 7.1 kW peak was 43 kWh).
  • Fortunately, your contract with Tesla has a 24 month production guarantee. Be sure to continue to download all of your data, if filing a claim is appropriate.
  • > @dhelmly said:
    > I took Thermal Image shots via Drone and showed them either missing tiles or non working tiles (can't see how to post picts here) . Tesla was pretty thankful for the shots and will be out here again next week to check MCIs, Tiles, and strings.
    >

Personal drone or did you hire someone to get the shots? I'll get up there with my thermal camera and have a look, my DJI drones are currently useless due to updated airport restrictions.
  • Wow! You can't even use them below 400'?
  • thermal drone shots were taken via DJI Inspire with an optional thermal camera. Tesla emailed me today and will be out here next week.
  • We are suffering a similar issue. 12.75kW system. Going to month view we generated 1,100 kWh in June, 1,120 in July, 980 in August, 600 so far in September. We wonder if it has something to do with all the ash & dust on the panels. Hosing them off seems does not seem to make them look any cleaner.
  • jerry, What you're "suffering" from appears to be celestial mechanics. The angle of the Sun, relative to your roof pitch, changes from month to month, as does the temperature of your panels. PV likes temperatures in the low 70s, and loses efficiency as temperature rises. These are two reasons why Tesla's performance guarantee is over a running 24 month period. It smooths out inconsistencies of weather, season and a host of other variables.