Model 3

No LTE and WiFi Signals in Garage

I have recently noticed that there are no LTE or WiFi signals in the garage after waking up the car. I made of appointment for this. I had chat with them and a person from Tesla also came in my house. They said it's normal. Normally, I don't get software update information on my phone. I always need to do manually on the monitor. Luckily, I got latest software update notification on my phone during the chat. I couldn't show him the problem at that time when he was there. I'm seeing no signals after he left. Is it normal for everybody's tesla model 3?

Comments

• I have bad LTE singal in my house garage but I have 2 wifi extenders in the house so my wifi signal is good .
  • Is your appointment with your home builder? If you get signal in other places the issue is not with the car.
  • The Wifi pickup by Tesla is problematic. I use my phone as a Wifi hotspot and it works fine for everything except the Tesla.

The Tesla will just not see any Wifi networks. Sits there searching and then goes back to cell signal.

If I reboot the car it will sometimes (50/50?) see the phone Wifi and connect.

It looks like Tesla either made the Wifi HW extremely sensitive so it only sees very strong Wifi signals or just cheap and it has a hard time seeing the wireless networks. Effect is the same, the Wifi connection needs work.

In this case, my guess is you will have to boost the Wifi signal in the house for the car to recognize it.

The Tesla is "hard of hearing" in regard to Wifi networks. You have to "yell".
  • Blah blah blah
  • It’s probably not the car. Your garage is a faraday cage. It blocks signals. Plus Wireless signals are crap. Way too much interference from other electronics

The Feds are pulling frequencies from the satellite companies to sell to the cell phone carriers. Once this is complete signals will get better. Your signal issues are an effect of how far you are from your cell tower/WiFi router, the type of materials your home is made of, and other electronics in your home that interference with the signals.

It’s so bad near me I have to go outside to make a phone call or it breaks up or drops the call.
  • LTE is more important than WiFi except for downloading software updates. When you use your app to connect to the car, or Tesla tries to notify your car that an update is available, theTesla server uses LTE to connect to your car, even if WiFi is available. If you have no LTE, you won’t be able to connect using the app, and you won’t receive any notifications in the app.
  • The best solution is to run an Ethernet cable to your garage and setup another router as a hotspot. If you can't do that then try WiFI extenders or powerline Ethernet.
  • I haven't tried Powerline ethernet yet but Wifi extenders are horrible unless they are purchased as a matched set to the wifi router..
  • I have a WiFi extender in my garage and it works very well. Why do you say there horrible?
  • > @wayne47 said:
    > I have a WiFi extender in my garage and it works very well. Why do you say there horrible?

Other than paired equipment, your best chances of it working is when the extender is made by the same company that makes the router and your not in an area with a lot of other wifi signals. If your in a apartment or close neighborhood too many wifi signals will kill the extenders. When they work, they 1/2 your wifi speed. But most do not work at all or constantly drop the connection. A wifi Access Point is the better solution but that does require you to wire it to your network.
  • Google Mesh works awesome with the car and is highly recommended. Solved all of my issues with the car and made everything else in the house more enjoyable over the internet.
  • I live in a single family home. I guess that helps. Bandwidth is much slower but it’s high enough ... maybe 25 Mbps, and it’s a good strong connection. Otherwise I cannot connect to my router upstairs at all. Pretty cheap to try.
  • P.S. no good way to get ethernet to my garage.
  • Lol 25 Mbit you need fiber ASAP
  • Look into the Google Mesh Wayne. You do not need ethernet in your garage.
  • As long as the extender works I am not touching it. 🙂
  • > @EVRider said:
    > LTE is more important than WiFi except for downloading software updates. When you use your app to connect to the car, or Tesla tries to notify your car that an update is available, theTesla server uses LTE to connect to your car, even if WiFi is available. If you have no LTE, you won’t be able to connect using the app, and you won’t receive any notifications in the app.

I don't think this is correct. Where I live there is no cell phone or GPS signal. As long as my Model 3 is awake and connected to my wi-fi I can communicate with it through the App and I receive updates on my App that software updates are available.
  • @evsrbtr, do you live under the rock?
  • @evsrbtr - You're correct, if the car is already connected to WiFi, you can access it through the app. I meant that if the car isn't connected to WiFi, which is the case when the car is sleeping, you won't be able to access it from the app without cellular. In other words, you can't reach the car via WiFi to tell it to wake up; the car has to initiate the connection to WiFi.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > It’s probably not the car. Your garage is a faraday cage. It blocks signals.”

Nope. Not unless they built your garage with concrete reinforced with a wire mesh. Your garage is just a matchbox of 2 x 4’s and some composite sheathing. As easy for Wifi and cell signals to penetrate as the McMansion.

If garage Wifi is weak, it’s due to location of wireless hub. Just add a signal booster to the garage.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Nope. Not unless they built your garage with concrete reinforced with a wire mesh.

Or if they used foil backed insulation, which they frequently do when they insulate unheated areas. Got it in my attic and it kills my cell and tv signals really well.