Model 3

Tesla said they 'cant find' my car.

I ordered my 2020 Model 3 Performance Midnight silver on 07/07/20 with a 4-8 week delivery estimation, and this was no issue for me as I was perfectly okay with that time frame. Now, 10 weeks and two rescheduled delivery appointments later, Tesla has told me multiple times that they 'cannot find' my car. My original delivery appointment was scheduled for last Sunday, now my account shows no VIN#, no MVPA, and no delivery appointment, as if I had gone back in time about 6 weeks. Very upset with my experience thus far.

Comments

• And what do you want us to do about it? I am sure they will make it up to you or if you are that upset don't buy.
  • @ aostvapk, flagged, this isn’t an Audi forum but you know that.
  • Seems a bit odd as they all have GPS. Aliens?
  • I dont understand. The car has not been delivered. Its like asking for a GPS tracking of your package from Amazon that has not been delivered yet. Knowing where it is will not get it to your house faster. You've got to be patient.
  • Your particular car most likely had an issue that warranted not delivering, went to another buyer or your information was incomplete. Don't fret, you will get a new VIN, etc. and a new car.
  • Years ago my friend worked at a dealer. He would tell me about cars that were damaged by the chains that hold them on the car carrier, dropped cars, things happen in shipping.

Also as other have said could be an account issue try calling the delivery center or just stop by and speak to someone.
  • Yeah, the solution here is to walk in to any physical Tesla place where there are actual people and ask them about it. Best would be a sales office. They can do things that you can't get done online. And of course as you know, trying to get a Tesla person on the phone is next to impossible unless they call you and you capture the phone number of a particular person.

Tesla loves to get cars into the hands of people towards the end of a quarter so I'd say your chances are very good given that Q3 is almost over.
  • Ask for a new car. If a store can’t find my gallon of milk I ordered I ask them to go back and find another one. Milk is milk.
  • Have you paid for the call in full? Back in Aug/sept 2018 we Had a 2-3 week window after I paid in full where Tesla claimed they couldn’t track where my car while it was in transit. Turns out they were not being truthful it was sitting at the Seattle dealer the entire time. Eventually got the car and it is great!
  • > @coleAK said:
    > we Had a 2-3 week window after I paid in full where Tesla claimed they couldn’t track where my car while it was in transit.

It is true they cannot actually "TRACK" it. They put the car in "Transport Mode" which is a form of deep sleep where it turns off everything (including GPS) to save battery in case the transport is a long duration and prevent any remote access like open/close windows or unlock.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @coleAK said:
    > > we Had a 2-3 week window after I paid in full where Tesla claimed they couldn’t track where my car while it was in transit.
    >
    > It is true they cannot actually "TRACK" it. They put the car in "Transport Mode" which is a form of deep sleep where it turns off everything (including GPS) to save battery in case the transport is a long duration and prevent any remote access like open/close windows or unlock.
    >
    Not true for my car. Calls I had with Tesla they kept telling me it was on a truck in Canada, which I know doesn’t happen for transport to Alaska. Finally I got someone at the Honolulu location where I placed my deposit to ping it, from there they found it at the Seattle dealer... sent me a screen shot of the map. After that when it left Seattle on the barge to Anchorage Seattle sent me screen shots of it along the inward passage on the water.
  • Unfortunately, nobody here can do anything about this nor would they even care if they could. It’s fair to admit that Tesla’s supply chain and distribution system is complete garbage, and with two weeks left in the quarter, it’s all part of their end-of-quarter rush.

I’m in the same boat as you regarding the much longer wait than expected. Ordered mid-July with an original 3-5 week estimate and now still have an estimate from now until the end of the month (assuming that’s even true at all). There’s really nothing else that can be done at this point except going into your closest dealer and asking them if they have any other info. I’d be willing to bet they’re all busy right now though, so good luck. I’ve kinda just accepted the fact that I got end-of-quarter shafted and it’ll get here when it gets here.
  • It is not your car until you pay for it!
  • > @dnl_gari said:
    > It’s fair to admit that Tesla’s supply chain and distribution system is complete garbage, and with two weeks left in the quarter, it’s all part of their end-of-quarter rush.

I guess Tesla has too many orders and cant keep up. I've noticed a lot more Tesla on the road here. I some ways its a good problem for Tesla. Have you looked at the in-stock lists? If you find an in-stock car within 210 miles Tesla will deliver it to you. Any missing software features on an in-stock vehicle can be added at time of purchase like FSD.
  • Have you tried looking behind the sofa? That's where I usually find things.