Model 3

12v battery died with no warning

Thursday we drove the car in the morning. No errors or warnings. Everything was fine. Parked the car in the garage which is where it lives when we're not driving it. Thursday afternoon the car would not start. Screen was black. After attempting a reboot, eventually a display appeared saying "12v battery needs replacement soon". Gee...thanks for the warning! Contacted customer service. Next available appt is Sept 30. Today is the 18th. That's 12 days from now. TWELVE days without a car! Considered towing it to the nearest service station which is 100 miles from here. Their next appt is Sept 29. That's ELEVEN days from now. So I'm stuck with a dead car for almost 2 weeks. This car is driven daily. It does not sit around unused.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get this car working without having to wait 12 days for service? We've really enjoyed this car but this is ridiculous. FYI - we live in Florida and yes, it's hot in the summer. But the car spends most of its time in the garage where the max temperature is close to 90. It's probably outside on average 1-3 hours per day.

Comments

• 12V battery improvements should be coming via software update, when i do not know.
  • I would say call Roadside assistance, You are technically stranded. They may be able to help escalate.
  • If its not a warranty replacement get a battery and install it yourself. Plenty of youtube videos to show how its done. BTW How old is your Car?
  • Same thing happened to me yesterday. 11 days till the first available appointment. I sent an email to one of the guys at the local Service Center, and they moved my appointment to this coming Monday. I'm in the Southeast FL.
  • So, you may have accidentally left one of the car's interior lights on and not realized it? In your Tesla app, you can select Roadside Assistance/Car Will Not Drive.
  • > @in7_98388832 said:
    > So, you may have accidentally left one of the car's interior lights on and not realized it?

Is that even possible? Mine seem to turn off by themselves.
  • > @in7_98388832 said:
    > So, you may have accidentally left one of the car's interior lights on and not realized it? In your Tesla app, you can select Roadside Assistance/Car Will Not Drive.

My car was plugged in at the time. Luckily, I keep nothing in the car except for napkins. :smiley:
  • Not that it helps anyone who already has gone through a dead 12v, but there is a report of Tesla contacting an owner via text and sending out a Ranger to replace a 12v on an X I believe. So their being proactive now.
  • Don’t schedule an appointment if your car is not drivable. Instead request Roadside Assistance. The response is faster and they will tow your car for service. I had to wait until the 12v batteries were received. Demand has been very high for batteries and the tow company had been busy towing Tesla’s. Phoenix heat causes 12v batteries to fail every 24 months.
  • > @Atoms said:
    > Don’t schedule an appointment if your car is not drivable. Instead request Roadside Assistance. The response is faster and they will tow your car for service. I had to wait until the 12v batteries were received. Demand has been very high for batteries and the tow company had been busy towing Tesla’s. Phoenix heat causes 12v batteries to fail every 24 months.

2 years is average for any 12V in Florida.
  • seriously? I move there on Friday. If true, good to know.
  • Hope the software patch has a real impact on this. A 12V battery ought to be able to last more that 2 years.
  • Seems to be the norm no matter where you live mien failed just before the 2 year mark. This seems to be a very common issue and all at about 2 years.

Odd since I thought the main battery kept a trickle charge on the 12v. I mean this really should not be an issue at all my 2006 BMW 330xi still has the original 12v battery now pushing 15 years old. I have always kept it on a battery tender when not used for more than several days. Same goes for my lawn tractor just as old on a battery tender original 12v. I have had many motorcycle over the 50 years always on a battery tender never have I purchased a battery or had one fail (just the Tesla first ever battery to fail). So it would seem reasonable that a Tesla could trickle charge and not have these issues.

Not complaining the car is a wonderful marvel of engineering.
  • > @007bondMI6 said:
    I mean this really should not be an issue at all my 2006 BMW 330xi still has the original 12v battery now pushing 15 years old. I have always kept it on a battery tender when not used for more than several days. Same goes for my lawn tractor just as old on a battery tender original 12v. I have had many motorcycle over the 50 years always on a battery tender never have I purchased a battery or had one fail (just the Tesla first ever battery to fail). So it would seem reasonable that a Tesla could trickle charge and not have these issues.

The 12v battery in the M3 is a deep cycle, closed cell battery. They are not like your standard car/motorcycle battery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-cycle_battery
  • I have an early 2019 and I'm in South Florida. Battery died a couple of weeks back with no warning in the garage. I contacted roadside assistance and a flatbed truck was there in about 30 minutes. He was able to jump it and drive it on to the flatbed. This happened on a Saturday morning.

Monday, I was contacted in the morning letting me know the battery was replaced and ready. Gave me an Uber credit to get me to the SC and I picked up my car touchless. Just had to go to it and get in. They had my key card in the console. The battery was replaced under warranty.
  • I am knocking on the 2 year door, Car is a Dec 2018 build. Anything you can do to proactively check the health?
  • I have heard that they are not recommending replacing the batteries preemptively. I also heard there was a bad batch of batteries from a supplier. Not sure what’s true but I may ask when I have my car in next week for another issue.
  • HAL2001 interesting so should this type just be replace every few years as a maintenance item?

I mean I am ok with something like this I like to avoid issues so I don't mind replacing if that is what is normal or expected or considered normal maintenance.
  • > @Joshan said:
    > seriously? I move there on Friday. If true, good to know.

Southeast?
  • > @007bondMI6 said:
    > HAL2001 interesting so should this type just be replace every few years as a maintenance item?
    >
    > I mean I am ok with something like this I like to avoid issues so I don't mind replacing if that is what is normal or expected or considered normal maintenance.

I cant say how often the 12v battery needs attention. I would have to look it up in the Tesla manual. Most people with problems are saying ~2 years. I was merely pointing out its not the same type of battery used in cars and motorcycles so its life isn't the same. But IMHO they will not last anywhere close to 15 years like your BMW 330xi.
  • > @Joshan said:
    > SW

Phew!
  • > @"yudansha™" said:
    > > @Joshan said:
    > > SW
    >
    > Phew!

Stalker :P
  • > @"yudansha™" said:
    > > @Atoms said:
    > > Don’t schedule an appointment if your car is not drivable. Instead request Roadside Assistance. The response is faster and they will tow your car for service. I had to wait until the 12v batteries were received. Demand has been very high for batteries and the tow company had been busy towing Tesla’s. Phoenix heat causes 12v batteries to fail every 24 months.
    >
    > 2 years is average for any 12V in Florida.

> @"yudansha™" said:
    > 2 years is average for any 12V in Florida.“

Shouldn’t be the case in EV’s as these are not cranking batteries. The aux battery should last as long as the drive battery.

Most likely is that Tesla has an error in the charging system and the 12V’s are being depleted.
  • Does anyone have a boat with an electric trawling motor? They use deep cycle batteries. Maybe someone has some insight on how long they last.