Model 3

Just downloaded. Same release notes as previous, no chance yet to test drive. As a “dot” update, will be interesting to see the refinements. Anyone else had a chance to drive with it yet?

Comments

• We’re you on 36.10 before?
  • Downloading as we type
  • Yes. 36.10 before
  • With 36.10 my car is not slowing down in curvy roads. Auto steer is not able to keep up. I hope they fixed it in 36.11.
  • I can vouch for that. It occurs encountering a sharp curve at high speed. The car makes the curve but it is uncomfortable. I take over to avoid those situations. I am also waiting for them to fix this.
  • Has anyone else seen anything new with this release?
  • When approaching a flashing yellow warning light, it momentarily starts to slow down and shows a very brief message on the screen (to quick to read). My guess is that it thinks it is a traffic light turning yellow before red and then decides it isn't.
  • Seemed like turning into an exit lane is not at sharp as before, with 30.10. More like a human would do it.
  • 30.10 is downgrade in terms of local roads sharp turns. Tried it out yesterday on the same curve I check the function all the time and it took it way too fast went ape shit and braked hard then almost disengaged. Not pleasant experience at all.
  • @WW_spb I presume you mean 36.10. I agree and this is something they need to fix quickly IMO. I see the problem when the car is in AP at 50 mph and hits a curve that needs to be taken at 35 mph.
  • Yes, sorry
  • Finally got to try 36.11 today.
    Improved handling of curve leading out of my subdivision, there’s a dogleg curve approaching a creek bridge, previously car would navigate the dogleg a bit too slowly (dropped by 10 mph), today handled it normally. Nice.
    AP and NoAP worked solid on highway. AP worked solid on local roads. Green light chime still not chiming on every green light but most.
  • Handled highway ramp curve fine. Didn’t notice anything too slow or fast.
  • I also find it takes some curve very well. It depends on the curve and speed of approach.
  • I observe a most peculiar, repeatable defect in 2020.36.10 and 2020.36.11. It occurs in a situation where I drive in the left lane of a four-lane road (two lanes in each direction) and pass a right turn-off onto a freeway (autobahn) on-ramp, which Navigate on Autopilot had planned to take. However, I had turned NoA off well before reaching the turn-off and stayed in the left lane.

When I pass the turn-off, the car begins to indicate a left-turn on its own and blinks about 7 times, similar to a lane change. I cannot stop the blinking. There is no possibility to turn left or change lanes to the left at that place. The turn-off, the one I don't want to take, is from the right lane to the right.

I have now observed this twice, every time I passed by that particular on-ramp with 2020.36.10 or .11. The position is:

48°06'11.5"N 11°45'02.4"E
    48.103184, 11.750663

I think the programmers are losing it. I have seen similar things in robotic lawn mowers and other robotic appliances. The programmers get overwhelmed by the complexity they create, resulting in utterly weird defects. It is frightening, because unlike my lawn mower robot, my car can kill me. Fortunately, blinking alone is only embarrassing, but not deadly, but how do I know what comes next?
  • You are maybe seeing the new “get out of passing lane” feature, I believe, and not a blind NoAP attempt to exit.
  • Drove some more tonight and the stopping for traffic signals and stops signs is even smoother for me. Was good before with occasional harder stops. Didn’t have a single one tonight. 👍🏼
  • > @M3phan said:
    > You are maybe seeing the new “get out of passing lane” feature, I believe, and not a blind NoAP attempt to exit.

No, because in right-hand traffic the car would have to indicate right to get out of the passing lane. My car indicated to the left, where there was only a separating barrier. No way to actually steer left.

I would like to know a way to reliably reach Tesla for a defect report with an acknowledgement of receipt and understanding, but that does not seem to exist. This in itself is a bit worrying.
  • Sounds like a local geofencing error trying to get out of the way of merging traffic from the on-ramp. I’ve never come across that error.
  • > @hgmichna said:
    > I would like to know a way to reliably reach Tesla for a defect report with an acknowledgement of receipt and understanding, but that does not seem to exist. This in itself is a bit worrying.

Not everyone can provide a proper bug report and most of the time recalling the details of an event isn't accurate. If Tesla opened up that type of reporting the miss information would exceed the any helpful information. I can image how much garbage would be sent to tesla and how much time they would waste tracking it down. IMHO What they are doing now makes the most sense.

BTW, I just re-read your description of the event and tried to match it to the intersection in your GPS coordinates and couldn't. I see a 6+ lane road being intersected by a 4 lane road. You stated you were on the 4 lane road in the left lane and all I see is you have to make a left turn.

You mentioned you cannot stop the left hand signal but you don't mention how did you try and stop it?
  • > @hgmichna said:
    > I observe a most peculiar, repeatable defect in 2020.36.10 and 2020.36.11. It occurs in a situation where I drive in the left lane of a four-lane road (two lanes in each direction) and pass a right turn-off onto a freeway (autobahn) on-ramp, which Navigate on Autopilot had planned to take. However, I had turned NoA off well before reaching the turn-off and stayed in the left lane.
    >
    > When I pass the turn-off, the car begins to indicate a left-turn on its own and blinks about 7 times, similar to a lane change. I cannot stop the blinking. There is no possibility to turn left or change lanes to the left at that place. The turn-off, the one I don't want to take, is from the right lane to the right.
    >
    > I have now observed this twice, every time I passed by that particular on-ramp with 2020.36.10 or .11. The position is:
    >
    > 48°06'11.5"N 11°45'02.4"E
    > 48.103184, 11.750663
    >
    > I think the programmers are losing it. I have seen similar things in robotic lawn mowers and other robotic appliances. The programmers get overwhelmed by the complexity they create, resulting in utterly weird defects. It is frightening, because unlike my lawn mower robot, my car can kill me. Fortunately, blinking alone is only embarrassing, but not deadly, but how do I know what comes next?

Sounds like you would feel safer in a totally manual car, like a 1970's Ford or something. If you are truly frightened then this is my suggestion.
  • You would be much happier if you immediately sold your car.
    So much excess technology is truly scary.
  • Had the car attempt to run a red light today. The road makes a sweeping left curve before coming to the light. The light was green when the first alert popped up on the screen. I indicated a acknowledgment of the green light and as I approached the light it turned yellow then red before even getting to the intersection. I kept waiting for the car to react to the yellow light but it never did. Once the light turned red the car was happily proceeding through the intersection if I hadn’t intervened. This is the second time this has happened to me but the first occasion I attributed to a timing error. I flicked the stalk at the exact same time as the light turned yellow so gave AP a pass that time. Both times I’ve filed bug reports.
    The other thing the system hasn’t learned yet is to start slowing early enough for a stop sign when approaching it above 50 mph. I have tried this several times on different local roads and it always fails. Even though there is a yellow diamond stop warning sign a hundred yards before the intersection.
    LOL, and another thing. On the rare occasion it sees a 65mph speed sign, it decides it should actually be 45mph. Not very helpful when people around here take speed limits as mere suggestions.
  • Leaving a bug report does not guarantee that Tesla will see it. I would try to alert them by email or chat.
  • > @walnotr said:
    >I indicated a acknowledgment of the green light and as I approached the light it turned yellow then red before even getting to the intersection. I kept waiting for the car to react to the yellow light but it never did.

The car didnt see a vehicle in front of you so it asked you to confirm if it was ok to proceed which you did, then your expecting the system to override your approval to proceed through the intersection. We are still at Level 2 autonomy, that's not how it currently works. You approved it, you have to adjust for changes to your approval.