Model Y

Wireless charging

Can you charge AirPods pro in Model Y wirelessly?

Comments

• Any info would be appreciated!
  • Only if your willing to hold the charging case up in the target charging area on a sloped incline while driving.
  • Iphone 12 mini will not reliably charge wirelessly with or without a case. I plan to attach their charging disk to the pad and use that. Not sure why it won’t charge without a lot of manipulation
  • > @2manycars said:
    > Iphone 12 mini will not reliably charge wirelessly with or without a case. I plan to attach their charging disk to the pad and use that. Not sure why it won’t charge without a lot of manipulation

Agreed, having the same issue with my 12 mini. Going to replace the charging pad with the one I saw from Jeda.
  • I’m thinking about attaching the apple MagSafe piece to the charging pad or mounting it directly behind the cup holder. Hopefully neither location will create a problem.

I wondered if behind the cup holder could be an issue because it’s where you would place the card key if you needed it to start

Conversely I am concerned with attaching it to the charge pad due to possible heat buildup.

Love the car also love the more compact mini phone.
  • I wonder why I can’t find the “sweet spot” for my phone. Seems silly to have to remove the charge pad from my Y in order to replace it with a new one. Also wonder how difficult it would be to remove the original charging pad
  • @YohY

Yes, I lay my AirPod Pros in the right side as my phone is in the left and both charge at the same time.
  • Has anyone else have the issue of placing your phone on the wireless charger, it will charge for about 10sec then it would just stop charging completely?
  • The wireless charger on the Y is indeed weak. Lots of threads about this. I posted a thread on this over a week ago you might search for. I took mine directly to the service center where they kindly took a look at it. Couple of thoughts:
    I think it might take 5-10 sec to 'turn on' when you place a phone on it. This might be a power saving feature which would seem reasonable. This gave me the impression that the thing did not work as my home wireless charger is 'always on' and instantly lights up my phone. Thus, when I quickly placed my phone on the Y's wireless charger, I assumed it was not working. First try without your case just to troubleshoot. Leave it on the charger for at least ten sec. Turn the screen off first so you will know when it begins to charge. If that works, then try with the case.

Perhaps I'll try doing some diagnostics with a coil of wire and an oscilloscope to see if it is 'off' until it senses an object on the pad. I'll let you know.
  • I just purchased the iPhone 12 Pro and the MagSafe cover. It charges on my wireless charger without a problem. It does not charge as fast as a hardwired setup but I get a 100% charge after an hour or so.
  • My my 12 mini doesn’t charge unless I place it exactly right then it stops in a few seconds
  • My mini stopped charging wirelessly all together in the car and at home. I did a reset all on my phone and now it charges wirelessly in the car as well as everywhere else

Don’t know why but it is working