General

Spoiled by Tesla

I love my Model S, but I think it’s making me stupid. Here are some examples:

I drove my ‘93 Suburban the other day. When I reached my destination, I put it in park, got out, & walked away. Even the sound of the motor running didn’t get my attention because the Tesla often makes noises as I walk away. It was several steps before I realized what I had done.

On a trip to the lake with the ‘Burb, I was cruising down the lake 20 minutes after we launched & realized I hadn’t locked the car-Tesla always does it for me & I get a notification if something is unlocked or open. At least I had shut the car off and had the keys in my pocket.

Here’s my favorite. I got an older Crown Vic as a loaner (not from Tesla). It had one of those number keypads to unlock the doors, but no fob. I was looking all over that key ring for the unlock code. Just as I was about to go back in and ask for the code I realized that I had to actually put a metal key in the slot and turn it! My son & his gf were with me, and I still hear about it.

Please tell me I’m not the only one that’s forgotten how the rest of the world drives. I’m afraid that if this keeps up sooner or later I’ll flick the steering wheel tilt lever on the ‘Burb twice and take my hands off of the wheel.

Comments

• Hahha I feel you in that one.
  • "When I reached my destination, I put it in park, got out, & walked away. Even the sound of the motor running didn’t get my attention because the Tesla often makes noises as I walk away. It was several steps before I realized what I had done."

I'll do you one better. I stopped my truck and got out. I didn't put it in park (which is how I drive my model 3). Fortunately I was able to get back in and stop it before it crashed into anything.
  • Yep, one must be very careful with antique vehicles - and all ICE are antiques now. I did the same thing in my brother's 2018 truck. I left it running and took a few beats when I exited and closed the door that I was forgetting something, but wasn't sure what it was!
  • I kept putting my foot down looking for a clutch pedal when I first got my car. Every car I have owned for the last 40 years has had a manual transmission.
  • I haven't driven an ICEV since I got my car, not even my spouse's until he got a Tesla, too. It's interesting when people don't want to drive a Tesla because "it's too complicated". The before and after driving rituals of an ICEV are more work. I also don't like the response curve of the gas pedal.
  • A post by tesla
  • I’m a one pedal driver now and resent using the brake pedal, makes me feel like I did something wrong!
  • I once left a company vehicle running for 45 mins before I realized it. This is the one number of cause ICE fires, EV owners letting them idle too long in the parking lot...…… :-)
  • > @Ncfoothillspharmacy_98611051 said:
    > I love my Model S, but I think it’s making me stupid. Here are some examples:
    >
    > I drove my ‘93 Suburban the other day. When I reached my destination, I put it in park, got out, & walked away. Even the sound of the motor running didn’t get my attention because the Tesla often makes noises as I walk away. It was several steps before I realized what I had done.
    >
    > On a trip to the lake with the ‘Burb, I was cruising down the lake 20 minutes after we launched & realized I hadn’t locked the car-Tesla always does it for me & I get a notification if something is unlocked or open. At least I had shut the car off and had the keys in my pocket.
    >
    > Here’s my favorite. I got an older Crown Vic as a loaner (not from Tesla). It had one of those number keypads to unlock the doors, but no fob. I was looking all over that key ring for the unlock code. Just as I was about to go back in and ask for the code I realized that I had to actually put a metal key in the slot and turn it! My son & his gf were with me, and I still hear about it.
    >
    > Please tell me I’m not the only one that’s forgotten how the rest of the world drives. I’m afraid that if this keeps up sooner or later I’ll flick the steering wheel tilt lever on the ‘Burb twice and take my hands off of the wheel.
    >
    >

I don’t even put my car on park anymore, it’s goes automatically on hold with one pedal drive and I just open the door.

If I get into a ICE car it would creep out and hit a garage door