Model 3

Switching to reverse while rolling forward under 5 mph

Around 25% of the time I arrive home and attempt to reverse into my garage, my 2020 model 3 on v2020.36.10 does not engage reverse but beeps without any reason to not enter reverse. The other 75% of the time it works. I am very sure I am under 5 mph when I do this. In this fail case I have to completely stop with foot on the brake and enter R. Anybody experience this or have insight into the scenario I describe? This behavior has been happening over many recent software updates.

Comments

  • Works for me 100% but I am usually 3 MPH or less. Have you looked at the screen to see if there is a message with the beep? You can also look in the logs to see if there are any messages. Other than a message I suspect you are moving too fast for the motor change.
  • Me too, most times it works, occasionally not.
  • I wonder if it matter of how fast you were travelling immediately before. I could see it be the case if that the car had recently been starte,d like you just came out of your garage, that there is no limitation on F and R changes under 5mph. However, if you are just decelerating from a faster speed in F to not allow it thinking you may have just had a panic stop on the highway and mistakenly tapped the stalk.
  • I do this every time I come home to back into my driveway. Only had it complain one tine and It was definitely my highest speed.
  • If you slow down to the point the car goes into hold mode you will be asked to put your foot on the brake before it will let you shift into reverse. Could this be what’s happening to you? That is the only scenario I have encountered when shifting from one direction to the other when under 5 mph.
  • Happens to me too. Apparently when I come home after a longer or faster drive, I regularly have to park, then press the brake pedal and go into reverse. After slow driving in town I can usually go into reverse straight away, just by lifting the gear stalk.

    Looks like a defect to me, fortunately relatively harmless, but a bit embarrassing when another car is waiting for you to clear the street.
  • I did a couple of tests this morning and I think I found the issue haha. It is less than 5 mph. Not less than equal to 5 mph. :-) Thanks all.
  • > @richjohnson905_98642252 said:
    > I did a couple of tests this morning and I think I found the issue haha. It is less than 5 mph. Not less than equal to 5 mph. :-) Thanks all.

    LOL it does say "Less than 5 MPH" in the manual.
Sign In or Register to comment.