Model 3

enhanced autopilot worth it?

i know there has been a lot of discussion on this but i didn't see anything quite like my feedback, so i figure i will post. i just purchased it as an add on and after a bit of testing, I am thinking i will return it and ask for a refund. below is why, please tell me why i am wrong. thanks!

autosteer - i tried it on a very curvy highway with speed limit 55 and it worked well but i am looking over at the giant SUV in the lane next to me and i am wondering how much reaction time i have if the EAP effs up before i collide. i am thinking it is less than zero. works well 99.9% of the time is an accident in waiting. the use case that most intrigues me is stop and go highway traffic and i trust it to do that much better than i do, but that is hardly worth 4k by itself.

auto lane change - worked well but didn't stress it by requesting a lane change with a car in my blind spot. i am ok assuming that works.

park - worked ok for parallel but in a parking lot with perpendicular spots it never prompted. dunno why; i guess i wasn't positioned exactly right. i can parallel park just fine, where is the value here?

summon - tesla app played sit and spin, waiting to wake up. it is not at all unusual for me that this happens for a min or three but it still works to open the door, unlock the trunk, etc so i never sweated it. if i want to summon the car and i have to wait 5 minutes for the app to wake up then it is sooo much less useful.

it didn't help that on the day that i did this (23 sep 20) the whole tesla network crashed and i had to use my card to get it to let me drive home.

Comments

• Not sure why you had problems getting in the car with the network down. It uses Bluetooth and doesn't require a connection to Tesla. Try this. Turn on airplane mode on your phone. Then go back and enable bluetooth. You car will open just fine.

I do love auto lane change. I hit the blinker and off it goes. Never cuts anyone off.

I really haven't used auto park too much as I can park much faster than the car.

I love summon. Called the car to the front door of a restaurant during heavy rain several times.

Cant say anything about reaction time since my M3 hasn't eff'd up.
  • thanks hal2001 - i think the app was mostly working with the network down until i starting wiping things. it would unlock etc just fine but i couldn't summon. when i wiped data I guess it isn't unreasonable that it needed to connect to validate my account but then all i got was a black screen with a hex error code. "kinda the equivalent of i'm sorry jason, i'm afraid I can't do that"
  • Just tell your M3 to open the pod bay doors and your in. :-)
  • You didn’t try Navigate on AP? (Enter destination, lane changes without driver confirmation, auto on/off ramps)

Autosteer: sounds like you just need to get comfy with it. After two years I’ve never had it “eff up” and hit a vehicle next to me. On the contrary, a few times it has saved my car from a wreck when it swerved out of the way of a vehicle intruding into my lane when I didn’t see it soon enough.
  • In short. Yes it is
  • Shorter: Yes😜
  • For those of us who don't have AP I don't see it worth 7k.
  • I bought an M3 due for delivery next week and autosteer is part of the basic AP not EAP. I think I'll buy EAP anyway as Navigate-on-Autopilot and Auto Lane Changes sound good.

https://www.autopilotreview.com/tesla-autopilot-vs-enhanced-autopilot/

Autopilot – This is basic driver assistance as found in most other cars with autopilot today. It’s included with all vehicles.
    Traffic Aware Cruise Control. (TACC). This stop-and-go distance cruise control will follow other cars, stop in traffic and automatically resume.
    Automatic Steering / Lane Centering. This keeps the vehicle in the lane when used with TACC above.

Enhanced Autopilot – This is a limited-availability option ($4,000) that occasionally appears as an upgrade for existing owners which includes all the items above plus…
    Navigate-on-Autopilot. When a destination is entered, the vehicle can fully navigate itself to the destination (currently only on freeways from on-ramp to exit and with a confirmation for lane changes).
    Auto Lane Changes. When using both TACC + Automatic Steering, a driver can use the turn signal to automatically change lanes when it’s clear.
    Summon. Allows the vehicle to be summoned from its current location to another location nearby (in private parking lots, for example).
    Autopark. This allows the vehicle to park itself in both parallel and perpendicular spots.

Full Self-Driving ($8,000) – Available at time of purchase and includes all of the items above, plus…
    Traffic Light & Stop Sign Recognition. Currently alerts you at the last moment if there is a stop sign or traffic light (will not stop the vehicle) while on Autopilot.
    Automatic City Driving. Future feature, TBD what this means exactly.
  • Not worth it on resale, adding "FSD" to used Tesla gains $1,700, the market judgement on value of "FSD" features.
  • i tried navigate on AP but i assume w/ out the full AP it will only go as far as the off ramp, which it did. definitely true about comfort level being initially low and sure to rise. obviously there have been accidents w/ AP and accidents with manual driving. is there enough data to support that it is less likely to get in an accident than an average driver? assume good weather at night for the sake of argument.
  • https://electrek.co/2019/10/23/tesla-autopilot-safety-9x-safer-than-average-driving/
  • > @jbalmuth_98650088 said:
    > https://electrek.co/2019/10/23/tesla-autopilot-safety-9x-safer-than-average-driving/
    >

That's just a Tesla PR comment. Tesla's had issues with accuracy on its safety claims.

"Federal officials told Tesla again in October to stop advertising the Tesla Model 3 as the having "the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA," federal documents revealed.

The notice surfaced Wednesday by nonprofit PlainSite. The response runs 79 pages, with another 450 withheld at Tesla's request.

In its letter, NHTSA Chief Counsel Jonathan Morrison called the statement "misleading" and said it forwarded the issue to the FTC's consumer protection bureau because it wasn't the first time Tesla violated NHTSA guidelines for advertising and communicating the results of NHTSA's tests. In 2013, NHTSA took issue with Tesla's advertising of safety scores for the Model S, saying the car had earned 5.4 stars on NHTSA's rating system. NHTSA does not award more than 5 stars."

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124439_nhtsa-to-tesla-stop-claiming-your-cars-are-the-safest
  • That sounds good - on ramp to off ramp hands off so to speak. What are the terms for a refund , assuming it's not for me?
  • FISHEV - I get what you are saying but I plan to keep long term so market will determine resale at that time. In 2 years I think we will be looking at around 30 percent or more depreciation on what we buy now anyway as the tech advances.
  • > @bmickeybr_98646810 said: > FISHEV - I get what you are saying but I plan to keep long term so market will determine resale at that time."

I'd guess the used car market value of "FSD" will stay the same year to year, $1,700, not "aging" like the car.

The $1,700 value is based on actual sales so gives an idea what buying public values FSD, what an owner can recover on selling it.

The actual features, that's a subjective choice for drivers.
  • @ bmickeybr, slight correction on your description of auto lane changing with navigate on autopilot: you can set a toggle where you don’t have to confirm The lane change with the signal stalk, the car will automatically lane change on its own.
  • M3Phan - "you can set a toggle where you don’t have to confirm"

Sounds fantastic, I'll post back next week with my thoughts after I try these features out.
  • For those who don't know: FISHEV, howard, and raqball are trolls. Public Service Announcement:
    FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he maysuggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
    FISH and the troll brigade have been on a tear the last few days attempting to disrupt the forums in advance and after battery day. Suggestion: Don't engage with them, figuring out fact from fiction with them isn't worth your time.
  • > @Tronguy said:
    > For those who don't know: FISHEV, howard, and raqball are trolls. Public Service Announcement:
    > FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he maysuggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
    > FISH and the troll brigade have been on a tear the last few days attempting to disrupt the forums in advance and after battery day. Suggestion: Don't engage with them, figuring out fact from fiction with them isn't worth your time.

It is a second time you haven't mentioned me. Discrimination? :wink:
  • Because, Tanya, despite the more-or-less continuous snark from you, you tend to mention location and stuff that 3/4's convinces me that you're an actual Tesla owner. As compared to FISH, howard, and andrew, who more tightly fit the troll picture.
  • @ bmickeybr, excellent!
  • thanks to everyone for their comments, including @FISHEV. nothing wrong with a bit of skepticism. blind obedience is for cults and autocratic leaders. i think i will keep the EAP, encouraged by @M3phan's comment about it avoiding accidents and a bit of kludgy math. if i can autopilot my way through highway jam-ups, i'll guesstimate that as $10/incident and in pre pandemic times this happened roughly twice a month in my part of the world (wash dc). auto-summon may prove to be useful once a month at $5/pop. $25/month * 12 months * 10 years = 3k. another 1k for the fun of it sounds ok, i am fortunate enough to be able to afford it.
  • It was good to see EAP come available. It has the features I’d like and skips those I don’t need or can’t use. Challenge is that we are going into lockdown here for another 6 months so I don’t see my car getting much motorway use - otherwise I’d be very tempted as an early Christmas present.

Mail from Tesla, if I understood correctly, suggests that it available to 30th Sept. YMMV.

Pricing (in the UK) would align nicely to a tenner a month 3 year contract, which I’d consider. Tesla already get a tenner from me for the infotainment, which could be switched off from month to month, but it’s already priced to not be worth the effort of changing, even if the car is going to be laid up most of the time.

Starting to see how Tesla can build a future revenue model from owners.
  • andy_uk, get EAP now and use it after your lockdown. It may disappear as an option and you’ll kick yourself.
  • @M3phan That’s what’s eating me :-)

Makes perfect sense for this market IMO.

I suspect the car will be more important than ever for long distance travel this side of a vaccine (and there’s no guarantee of one arriving) so it would be good to have for next spring and summer if we get another temporary easing then.

Still got a few days to think about it...