General

$25,000 Car

Feeling I got with Battery Day was Tesla's hit the top of the bell shaped curve, planting their feet well into the mire. Two years ago Elon said the $25,000 car was 3 years away, yesterday he said "3 years away. With my limited math skills I computed this as 5 years, not 3.
????????????? Know that what they're doing is difficult, but on a scale of difficulty downsizing isn't all that hard. Roadster? Model S Plaid?
Equivalent to the Studebaker GT Hawk. Nice, but not necessary.

Comments

• bragging rights ARE necessary
    for EM
  • I doubt Elon made a statement that a $25K car was 3 years away several years ago. He's smart enough to state it as an aspirational goal, not a promise.

Yes, downsizing is not too difficult. Doing it with reasonable range and at a price point where it is profitable is impossible today. The new battery technology that may make it happen is best paid for and used in a vehicle like Plaid. It proves it out in low volume and can be moved down the food chain, perhaps to a $25K car in time.

Someone else may beat Tesla to that $25K car. There doesn't seem to be a rush to fill that need from other manufacturers, although there are some cheap EVs being made in China. It can work as a sub-compact, with limited range, and minimal features in an ugly package for that market. It would be a hard sell here.
  • File it next to the $35k car that never happened except for some compliance cars. Trying to sell a cheap EV right now makes no sense as the tech is such that EV's will continue to be a $10-$20k premium for the foreseeable future.

We are early in EV adoption and filling in from the top is as good a strategy as any, in fact, due to the cost differentials, the only good strategy.

VWID4 and Kona EV at $45k are the closest to being volkswagens.
  • I literally woke up this morning to articles saying "Elon Musk Promises $25,000 in 3 years"

In addition to completely ignoring that huge disclaimer before Elon Musk took the mic, no one promised anything.
  • That was literally the point of that gigantic disclaimer. That what they are presenting is NOT a promise.
  • well, at least he didnt say it was a turbo with fake engine sounds
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > File it next to the $35k car that never happened except for some compliance cars. Trying to sell a cheap EV right now makes no sense as the tech is such that EV's will continue to be a $10-$20k premium for the foreseeable future.
    >
    > We are early in EV adoption and filling in from the top is as good a strategy as any, in fact, due to the cost differentials, the only good strategy.
    >
    > VWID4 and Kona EV at $45k are the closest to being volkswagens.

I’ve got that unicorn Model 3 in my drive way. The Tesla rep at the store was surprised it even existed. she said, this is the cheapest Tesla I have seen go for.
  • > @jimglas_98269389 said:
    > bragging rights ARE necessary
    > for EM

They didn't help Studebaker or Hudson succeed.....

"........It's not the first time CEO Elon Musk has made this promise.

Back in 2018, during an interview with YouTuber Marques Brownlee, Musk said Tesla may be able to produce a $25,000 all-electric vehicle within three years. He said Tesla's comparatively small scale made it difficult for the automaker to produce lower-priced vehicles and compete on that front with larger vehicle manufacturers. ......"

This could be done today, trick is keeping your NUT small.......simplicity......unique, functional design, no nonsense, imagination and determination....... might have to be done as a stand alone division...... there
    are more efficient, easier to produce motors than what Tesla uses. Might have to purchase a motor manufacturer/startup with patents. Might have to stand away from the high power computer tech and
    HansFrei driving goals.......(dream).....at least for a while. Stand back from the million mile chassis, 200,000's par with ICE vehicles anyway.
    Bob
  • Of course it can be done. Citroên already makes an EV for $6600. Doesn’t go very fast, but another $19k should do the job.
  • Actually, I forgot that Tesla has been selling an under $25,000 car for a year or two now.
    https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/commerce/content/dam/tesla/LIFESTYLE/KIDS/TOYS/1465592-00-A_0.jpg

Not very fast, but it is an EV and a convertible! Limited seating though. Great price! Comes in 3 colors too. Order your's today:
    https://shop.tesla.com/product/tesla-model-s-for-kids?sku=1465592-00-A
  • Wassup with FUD lately?
  • Wow WhiteWind accusing TeslaTap.com of spreading FUD?
  • Nope. But good try Fake doc supporter of Fish Dad
  • Hope your having fun with M8Balls in your mouth.
  • still doing nothing but trolling.

From a practicality standpoint, a stainless steel exoskeleton type car should be made at all sizes. Not dealing with dents, scratches and paint would be terrific.
  • I wonder if that could produce a $20k car
  • > @Teslionaire said:
    > Hope your having fun with M8Balls in your mouth.

You are really showing us next level of intelligence. Go on Maxxer dig deeper for a ban.
  • The Smart Fortwo is a steel exoskeleton type construction. Sort of.
  • > @WW_spb said:
    >
    > > @Teslionaire said:
    > > Hope your having fun with M8Balls in your mouth.
    >
    > You are really showing us next level of intelligence. Go on Maxxer dig deeper for a ban.

Who cares about getting banned from an online forum, seriously? Maybe you and Magic 8 Ball can’t go through that and become depressive and start posting in craigslist your meaningless stories and start a crowdfunding to help your pitiful lives?
  • Looks like you do. I can't wait for your complete melt down 3.0
  • > @WW_spb said:
    > Looks like you do. I can't wait for your complete melt down 3.0

Hope you won’t be a crybaby and won’t have ton consult a psychiatrist when it happens to you poor man
  • Making a car small doesn't really save all that much by itself. Getting the weight down helps, but then your crash risks go up. One stated goal of Tesla is to provide some of the safest cars you can buy. That gets harder the smaller and lighter you make the car, but it can be done.

The Smart for Two EV got 58 miles of range and had 80 hp. In 2018, the last year it was made, it cost $24,550. In 2018 they sold a total of 1219 cars. No wonder they discontinued it.
  • Was I the only one that noticed the car that didn't look like any of the current offerings on the background screen during the presentation? I also don't remember him giving a timeline for it but stuff was coming in pretty fast and my wife was asking occasional technical questions.

It did appear as though a lot of the near future cars are waiting on the new cells and the Texas plants completion
  • @TT, all very good points.

Although I didn't say the Smart Fortwo was a good car, I would go so far as to say it's a cute car.
  • Mass production's sometimes a fool's goal. Can result in disaster when a downturn in the economy occurs. Trick is to keep inventory at a minimum, administrative overhead and plant fixed costs down.
    OEM's did this by outsourcing, which has its own set of problems.
    Tesla's draw in the market is product differentiation, but that's an elusive long term goal. Competition catches you eventually in kind and quality. One must make their plan and stick to it, no matter what happens, no knee jerk reactions. If the market's up, you smile,
    but don't open new plants, if the market's down, you don't idle the plant, you work sales harder. Making your plan and sticking to it, will keep your costs below your competition as they knee jerk, adding overtime shifts and plants, or idling plants. Keep calm. Just get me the product I want, when I want it. And, as my tastes are different from others, A RetroTech Turtle will do me just fine, while others find Jelly Beans to their liking. I enjoy functionality, with body styles adapted for different needs, but having no real additional cost to produce with 75 percent of the car being the same always, and just the back 25 percent (non technical part) changing, (4 door-5 passenger, 2 door-3 passenger coupe, light duty pickup, convertible, light duty stake, panel van, microbus, 4 door microbus pickup...........etc).