Model 3

Glove Box Closing Issues

So a couple weeks ago, I had FSD installed and it was mostly a success. Almost everything went as planned, but after the installation I noticed the glove box would not fully latch closed. Upon further inspection, I noticed the latch tab on the right side of the glove box would not spring out all the way.

I immediately called my SC and they sent a mobile tech out to replace the entire glovebox mechanism. The tech noted that unfortunately this issue is quite common and is due to the latch mechanism rebounding with a foam wedge-not a spring.

I wanted to see how many people have experienced this issue. This is a bit concerning as the glovebox from what I hear is quite expensive. My vehicle is 2018 M3 w/ 7,500miles, the glove box is almost never used as I use the center storage bins.

Comments

• I should also note, my vehicle is stored indoors both at home and the office. I'm hoping if this issue is relatively common Tesla revises the mechanism to utilize a spring instead of a foam wedge.
  • Haven't heard of that one before. Glad you got it sorted by the fantastic mobile service offered by Tesla.
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > Haven't heard of that one before. Glad you got it sorted by the fantastic mobile service offered by Tesla.

Yes, very happy to have caught this early. If this is indeed a common issue, I'll never open that glovebox lol.
  • I open my glovebox at least 4 times a day (store my driving glasses in there) and it works flawlessly for me..so far. You might have had a bit of bad luck...but you are all good now!
  • Nope never an issues with my #. I'm wondering when they replaced your HW2.5 with HW 3. did they have to remove the glove box for access?
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > Nope never an issues with my #. I'm wondering when they replaced your HW2.5 with HW 3. did they have to remove the glove box for access?

They did, the mobile tech was very cool and let me watch the whole process. Was a little scary seeing some of the trim bits and glove box get removed though. I have some pictures of the defective foam wedge, though I don't know how to post pictures on here. He pretty much explained that the foam wedge starts breaking down and eventually flattens.

Based on your responses, I'm wondering if I should just open the glovebox once a week to get the mechanism moving.
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > Nope never an issues with my #. I'm wondering when they replaced your HW2.5 with HW 3. did they have to remove the glove box for access?

Yes, they do. I had the same issue with the glovebox after HW swap.
  • My M3 built in April 2018 started having the glove box randomly open. In May 2019, the Service Center reworked the glove box, but it didn't really solve the problem (I believe they merely lubricated the plastic latch sliding mechanism). In June 2020, Mobile Service replaced the glove box with a redesigned unit. The glove box latch mechanism now includes a metal coil spring to extend the latches in addition to the rather weak spongy foam cylinder on the retract solenoid. The latches now positively engage and disengage only when they should. I'm confident that this is a permanent fix. All work was done under warranty with no charge to me.
  • Fear of glove box latch failure, an interesting phobia
  • > @lurkerbot said:
    > My M3 built in April 2018 started having the glove box randomly open. In May 2019, the Service Center reworked the glove box, but it didn't really solve the problem (I believe they merely lubricated the plastic latch sliding mechanism). In June 2020, Mobile Service replaced the glove box with a redesigned unit. The glove box latch mechanism now includes a metal coil spring to extend the latches in addition to the rather weak spongy foam cylinder on the retract solenoid. The latches now positively engage and disengage only when they should. I'm confident that this is a permanent fix. All work was done under warranty with no charge to me.

Darn, wish I checked out whether or not I got the revised glovebox. Oh well, I won't be using it much anyways lol. I do find it a smidge annoying that Tesla decided to overcomplicate this.
  • Ahh yay! I took a picture of the part before the tech did the install. I see the spring is present on the one he installed.
    Checking ebay listings for some presumably earlier revision model 3 glove boxes, I don't see this spring. For anyones future reference this is a small spring they added on the right hand side latch.