General

RING app

Today RING announced partnership with Tesla to allow onboard cameras/activity to be viewed on RING app. Coming soon. https://mashable.com/article/tesla-ring-car-security-sentry-mode/

Comments

• Today RING announced partnership with Tesla to allow onboard cameras/activity to be viewed on RING app. Coming soon. https://mashable.com/article/tesla-ring-car-security-sentry-mode/
  • Live view through cameras sounds pretty cool. But that will just make me want to wake the car up constantly.
  • If it's true that is amazing.
  • Nice. From the article, I couldn't find any reference to a partnership. It looks like it might have zero to with Tesla but uses the USB port to get the dashcam footage and send it via the device's own WiFi or LTE connection. Guess we'll have to wait to find out more. This is all technically possible without any involvement from Tesla.
  • It better be through the Tesla app though. Ring is not getting access to any of my shit
  • I already have ring cam and app so it will work for me. ))
  • Viewing the TESLA cameras will be through the RING app. API is open to auto mfg. TESLA is the first to partner.
  • Tesla could just offer this feature as subscription via the built-in LTE. (or wifi when connected to home)

You buy this Ring module plus subscribe to Ring's LTE for the purpose of being able to review sentry video when getting an alert. Why need the $200 Ring Car Connect module?
  • > @daddy88 said:
    > Tesla could just offer this feature as subscription via the built-in LTE. (or wifi when connected to home)
    >
    > You buy this Ring module plus subscribe to Ring's LTE for the purpose of being able to review sentry video when getting an alert. Why need the $200 Ring Car Connect module?
    >

Tesla doesn’t want to use their own network bandwidth to upload videos. The Ring device uses Ring’s network.
  • I hope this is a misfeature that can be disabled.
  • > @OldGuy said:
    > I hope this is a misfeature that can be disabled.

Since you have to buy a device to use this feature, there’s nothing to disable.
  • I don't want anything to do with anything RING. Security nightmare.
  • Ring is great.