Model S

Do you want the Plaid to be revamped?

To anyone interested in buying the plaid version of the S, would you prefer a refresh of the interior and exterior or would you prefer the style remains the same?

Comments

• Exterior: minor changes

Interior: major changes but keep two screens.

If not, my current reservation/order will be cancelled. :)

Not.
  • I highly suspect that by the time the Plaid is available, there will be a new Model S. The fact that the Plaid has 3 motors and presumably 2 of them being in the back, where in the present DU design is there room for 2 motors?
  • @jordan... With the Plaid prototype (that we have all seen the video), haven't they already proved that they can fit two motors in the rear? Leave the screens the way they are but definitely freshen the interior.
  • For 75k premium, they better do something! I'd be ok with a similar style, but bring back the sunroof and leather, else I'm keeping my MS and going ahead with the CT.
  • Any chance Plaid could be a four door version of the Roadster?
  • I would like a refresh for the Plaid. I think trying to make a sexier-looking car can only help them sell more of them.
  • I've ordered my Model S plaid and I will keep the order regardless of whether they update the interior or exterior.
    That said, I'm really hoping for an interior and exterior redesign. Didn't Tesla hire the head of interior design away from Volvo a few years ago?
    I think it's a given that the Plaid will use the new battery architecture. I also think the existing Model S is relatively difficult to build compared with newer designs like the Model Y. They will also want to get rid of the MCU and all the cost and reliability problems associated with it.
  • I'd like the interior to look more like the Model 3, but integrating the screen into the dash rather than sticking out like a wart. No screen behind the steering wheel.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > I'd like the interior to look more like the Model 3, but integrating the screen into the dash rather than sticking out like a wart. No screen behind the steering wheel.

Yuck
  • @Bighorn - "Landscaped center screen."

I like the portrait because it allows me to see more of what is ahead of me on a trip (at least I think it does). With your experience with both, I'm sure you have a reason. I'm curious about your desire. And would you give up the IC?
  • @RAR
    I’m thinking more about entertainment and 16:9 videos. Better Backgammon too🤓
    I’d keep the IC as well.
  • I'd prefer they keep the Instrument Cluster and perhaps go with an even larger center screen - 19" or 21". I'm ok with the interior/exterior as it still looks great and makes Plaid a stealth vehicle.
  • Don't legitimize antisemite Maxxer aka Teslionaire. Let his fake treads stay abandoned.
  • jfemd.va.us, what picture or video have you seen of the interior of the Plaid S? Specifically the trunk/rear seat. The only video I have seen was a very brief interior shot from the front seat looking out, while the car went around the track at Laguna.

When developing the Model S, Tesla used a Mercedes Benz CLS, with blackout windows ( to hide the interior) and welded on fake exhaust tips to make the car look stock.
  • @Bighorn - Thanks for the info. You certainly are correct that entertainment looks better in landscape, but I don't use mine that way (of course I don't travel as much as you). I do wish the typical cell phone users would learn to take their videos horizontally.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > I'd like the interior to look more like the Model 3, but integrating the screen into the dash rather than sticking out like a wart. No screen behind the steering wheel.

A small screen behind the steering wheel integrated like the Taycan would be nice.

Just say the interior yesterday and it would be a good use of space
  • Musk confirmed it gets the 4680s and new structural battery construction.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Musk confirmed it gets the 4680s and new structural battery construction.

This means structural revamped.
    Now we have to wait to see for exterior and interior.
  • Good to hear on the expected refresh. However if they get rid of the instrument cluster/dashboard, I won't buy another Tesla. I do not like the interior of the 3.
  • I wish Tesla found a way to continuously innovate without changing anything :)
  • I suspect that if the refreshers get what they're asking for many of them will be upset with it, because the refresh won't be what they wanted it to be.
  • > @"Yodrak." said:
    > I suspect that if the refreshers get what they're asking for many of them will be upset with it, because the refresh won't be what they wanted it to be.

A refreshed Model S would be a model S with a Model 3 interior, possibly.
  • > @Teslionaire said:
    > > @"Yodrak." said:
    > > I suspect that if the refreshers get what they're asking for many of them will be upset with it, because the refresh won't be what they wanted it to be.
    >
    > A refreshed Model S would be a model S with a Model 3 interior, possibly.

Doubtful. People don't want to spend $150K for a larger version of the 3.
  • > @DRFLGD said:
    > > @Teslionaire said:
    > >
    > > A refreshed Model S would be a model S with a Model 3 interior, possibly.
    >
    > Doubtful. People don't want to spend $150K for a larger version of the 3.

Agreed.

Exterior. I am expecting subtle changes that keeps the primary design elements intact like what Porsche did for the Panamera. New headlights and taillights. A dynamic spoiler. And a larger stagger of the rear wheels.

Interior. I have no desire for a 3 like interior. I would not mind a similar ventilation system. A much plusher environment. Large screen integrated into the car and not plopped down like a pedestal or iMac is a must.