Model Y

Acceleration Boost!

Anybody buy it yet? So if you bought the EAP and now Acceleration Boost, what possibly could be left to purchase?

So for $2K, you are getting a 1/2 second off of your 0-60 time. Or buy the performance model and get 1.2 seconds off the 0-60 time for $10K.

Comments

• FDD is left. For 10k you also get get the tires and rims, upgraded breaks with red calipers plus the spoiler, If you upgrade your rims on the LR AWD now your only talking 6K to go to performance.
  • For me this is exactly what I was hoping for...

Live in NJ plenty of bad roads and potholes so no need for 20 rims they just break easier. Also with regen and fact I am not going to a track no need for better brakes and I can always paint what I have red. I can do without the spoiler and again can be added. The only thing I wanted was the fast acceleration.

Also another reason is NJ give your 5k rebate just need to fill out a form when you buy an EV under 55k. So that's why I ordered the LRAWD basic model. Now once I take delivery I can send in the paperwork for the 5k rebate as I qualify.

Now exactly as I hoped I can buy the boost and get closer to the perf for only 2k and remember NJ is giving me 5k rebate.

Same goes for FSD if that is something you want. If you order the base model and then add FSD you don't qualify for the rebate as the invoice is over 55k. So just buy the base without the FSD now you get the 5k then just buy FSD after pickup (use your cc and get points). When I placed my order few days ago FSD was 8K (again if you get it no 5k rebate) and looks like if you add it later still 8k. So why not just order it after and get yourself an extra 5k.
  • Anyone know how many extra horsepower (from published 384) you get for the $2k?
  • > @JFK1955 said:
    > Anyone know how many extra horsepower (from published 384) you get for the $2k?

Everything says 50hp.
  • Thanks, 007.
  • its much faster now! the rolling pick-up is just incredible! Well worth $2k!
  • Does anyone know how to pay for this upgrade using Paypal? It only gives a credit card option on the app?
  • Does anyone know exactly what this does to the range?
  • > @EVGuy2018 said:
    > Does anyone know exactly what this does to the range?

If you USE it, less range. If you have it and DONT use it, range is the same.

Seriously, no change unless your driving habits change. Someone else noted no top speed change either.
  • So the notice says you need update 2020.36 or higher to install the performance boost. I just have 2020.32.3 and the app does not indicate that any later versions are available. If I order the performance boost will they also make 2020.36 available or will I just have to wait until 2020.36 becomes available in the ordinary course to get the performance boost?
  • "The only thing I wanted was the fast acceleration."

X2
  • > @JFK1955 said:
    > So the notice says you need update 2020.36 or higher to install the performance boost. I just have 2020.32.3 and the app does not indicate that any later versions are available. If I order the performance boost will they also make 2020.36 available or will I just have to wait until 2020.36 becomes available in the ordinary course to get the performance boost?

I guess you have to wait. Some have had luck switching the software update pref slider back & forth to get an update while connected to WiFi.

Good luck, you’ll get it soon enough!
  • Will new model Ys have this new speed as standard? Or will new purchases also have the option of a "boost"?
  • > @Markadoodle said:
    > Will new model Ys have this new speed as standard? Or will new purchases also have the option of a "boost"?
    For sure new buyers will have the option to boost and this is not standard on new purchases.
  • Am I the only one annoyed by this? I just spent almost 100k Canadian on the car and now if I want to have it go faster I have to spend another 2700? This must only be a software upgrade so why didn't it already just go this fast? why must I pay extra for it now? Admittedly I am kind of a curmudgeon so it may just be me.

Has anyone bought it? Is 4.5s instead 5s a big difference? hard to contextualize how different that would feel. 5s already pushes me into the seat and is fun. Is 4.5s 10% more fun?

Would appreciate hearing other peoples perspective on this.
  • > @MeNameHere said:
    > Am I the only one annoyed by this? I just spent almost 100k Canadian on the car and now if I want to have it go faster I have to spend another 2700? This must only be a software upgrade so why didn't it already just go this fast? why must I pay extra for it now? Admittedly I am kind of a curmudgeon so it may just be me.
    >
    > Has anyone bought it? Is 4.5s instead 5s a big difference? hard to contextualize how different that would feel. 5s already pushes me into the seat and is fun. Is 4.5s 10% more fun?
    >
    > Would appreciate hearing other peoples perspective on this.

Yes totally see your point but this is nothing new. Software companies have been doing this for years you unlock the features your want as it is simpler to build one code base.

Again I said I see your point and if I think about it one way yes it is annoying. But all I wanted out of the more expensive perf model was the acceleration so for me this is a good compromise. So as soon as I pick up my Y this will be purchased. And there are other reasons I did it this way posted above.

As for will you notice it yes 50hp is a real kick in the a$$ I know from exp with my M3. If I wanted to add 50hp to my BMW it would cost me 5 times this much and if the car was under warranty it would void it. So look at it like this you are putting on a perf exhaust, perf chip, high flow intake, and a few other perf mods that won't void your warranty.

Again I get you but you have to look at this from the right angle to see the value.
  • > @PrescottRichard said:
    > > @JFK1955 said:
    > > So the notice says you need update 2020.36 or higher to install the performance boost. I just have 2020.32.3 and the app does not indicate that any later versions are available. If I order the performance boost will they also make 2020.36 available or will I just have to wait until 2020.36 becomes available in the ordinary course to get the performance boost?
    >
    > I guess you have to wait. Some have had luck switching the software update pref slider back & forth to get an update while connected to WiFi.
    >
    > Good luck, you’ll get it soon enough!

I had read that just pressing the selection 5 times and your version would update. Never worked. Until last night. Maybe it was a coincidence? Anyway I did and it did. Then the $2000 option appeared.
    Now I've got 48 hours and counting to decide if I keep it. Going to try it tonight on the highway. To be continued....
  • > @jimt29 said:
    > Now I've got 48 hours and counting to decide if I keep it. Going to try it tonight on the highway. To be continued....

You can refund it if you don't like it? If that's the case that is great, can give it a try and see if it is worth it.
  • > @MeNameHere said:
    > > @jimt29 said:
    > > Now I've got 48 hours and counting to decide if I keep it. Going to try it tonight on the highway. To be continued....
    >
    > You can refund it if you don't like it? If that's the case that is great, can give it a try and see if it is worth it.
    >

That’s my understanding. 48 hours, I’ve seen posts where at least one person has done this. I believe that is also the policy with EAP and FSD. Actually, with those I could see a benefit to a week long trial since there’s more going on there.

Seems to be reports of a nice bump in the 30-80mph range too.
  • Still debating whether to get this. Would welcome any more commentary from those who have.
  • > @MeNameHere said:
    > Am I the only one annoyed by this? I just spent almost 100k Canadian on the car and now if I want to have it go faster I have to spend another 2700? This must only be a software upgrade so why didn't it already just go this fast? why must I pay extra for it now? Admittedly I am kind of a curmudgeon so it may just be me.
    >
    > Has anyone bought it? Is 4.5s instead 5s a big difference? hard to contextualize how different that would feel. 5s already pushes me into the seat and is fun. Is 4.5s 10% more fun?
    >
    > Would appreciate hearing other peoples perspective on this.

I guess this is an example of the different kinds of people Tesla brings to the table. A performance enhancement that cuts half a second from 0-60 and adds around 50hp to a traditional ICE, after purchase, while still keeping a warranty for $2k is hard find. Add in the fact no one has to touch the vehicle or mess with onboard computers and there is nothing comparable.

You don't "have" to spend anything. You got the car with all the specs listed as is. The M3 received a similar feature update so many people were waiting for this. Also there's plenty of demand from those who didn't want to spend the money to upgrade to the Performance trim but who wouldn't mind more speed off the line.
  • I may have to purchase this friday... I keep reading 3.9 rollouts on the 990 (E) motor
  • So I ordered this a few minutes ago. Sitting in my MY, put it in park, and ordered the upgrade. Immediately there was a message on the screen to the effect that an incompatible modification was detected and the car was going into a lower power mode. No indication on the app or otherwise that I need to download the upgrade. Anyone have an experience like that? Will the download show up soon?
  • It’s not a download. The screen reboots and it’s activated. Your drive options switch to sport and chill instead of standard and chill.
  • I believe you have to be 36.11 or higher firmware... not 100% sure though