Model 3

No iOS Notifications

Hi All,
Wondering if anyone has stopped receiving notifications from the Tesla app on their iPhone? Notifications stopped probably about 3 months ago (so iOS 13 back then). I tried logging out, re-downloading the app, verifying that notifications are ON in iOS, and verifying that notifications are ON in the Tesla App. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Not an issue for me.
  • nope got Iphone notification yesterday for 36.12 available
  • Perhaps try removing the iPhone from the car menu, then re-adding it?
  • Thanks for the suggestion in7. During the process of removing the app, I had to then re-add it to my car to enable the phone key to work. I think that’s what you’re referring to?
  • Pairing your phone with the car via Bluetooth has nothing to do with notifications. You can use the mobile app without ever connecting your phone to the car via Bluetooth. Whatever the issue is, it’s not that.

Does your car have cellular access where you park?
  • Yup. Its currently in my garage (with Wifi)... I've been notification-less like this for 3 months, during which I've gone to various places and get no notifications...

Ironically, if I remembered correctly, if I was in the app on my iPhone and clicked the "Start Charging" button, I used to get a notification banner at the top of my screen -- which I always thought was weird for the app to display a banner when I was in the app.. if I do that now, I don't get that notification... Seems like an overall notification issue with my phone/app now?

But regardless of not getting banners while in the app, I don't get then on my lock screen or history.
  • If I can be of help here there was another thread on this subject, and I had the identical problem with my iPhone. I put in a service request and Tesla did something remotely to turn off my 'service app." Apparently, that mode can get triggered and it cuts off notifications. I was without them for a month thinking it was the phone or something wrong with the car. If you let Tesla know they will fix it remotely. Mine started working immediately after they did whatever it was they did. You can also find the other thread here which had an Android heading.
  • You didn’t answer my question about cellular access. It doesn’t matter if your car has access to WiFi where you park — you need cellular access for notifications and other app features to work.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > You didn’t answer my question about cellular access. It doesn’t matter if your car has access to WiFi where you park — you need cellular access for notifications and other app features to work.

Just to be clear, Do you mean on the cell phone or car or both? Because when I park in my garage my LTE indicator goes out and my WiFi indicator comes on and I get notifications. I could be wrong but It looks like the car is on LTE or WiFi but never both at the same time.
  • If your app allows you to control the car, that is - lock, unlock, honk, start climate control, etc- then there is connection enough through whatever networks it needs.

Do you have more than one car in your app? I know phone key doesn’t work if the wrong car is selected in the app.

Since your talking notifications I’d double check on your phone Settings>Notifications> Tesla app and make sure everything is on.

That’s all I got :)
  • I'm with @melmartin_98345185: There's been a breakthrough on apps not getting notifications from the Tesla. Keys work, door open works, but the notifications weren't getting through.
    There's at least one mode, Service, and possibly another (Shipping?) that, from we've been able to glean so far, should result in that mode name plastered across the display in some extra-big font, but isn't. Remote troubleshooters have been able to turn off the errant modes and, boom! Back come the notifications.
    This discovery and report on the M3 Forums here are recent, like within the last week.
    Ding the service on your app and report about your suspicions.
  • Service mode and Transport Mode.

From experience If your in Transport Mode Cabin Overheat is disabled, and cannot be turned on.
  • Hi @EV_rider,
    Do I really need cellular for notifications? Isn't it that I need some sort of network connection aka wifi or cellular? I always have cellular (or wifi). I can access my car any time I want via the app. Right now I specifically my car is charging in my garage -- not sure if its on cellular or wifi... but once its done charging I won't get notified.

Hi @PrescottRichard,
    I can control all functions of the car (when the car is on wifi or cellular) without an issue. I also only have 1 car in my app. I double checked that all notifications are on (in iOS and the app)

Hi @melmartin_98345185,
    Thanks for the tip! This all started after I had my HW upgrade done. So maybe its still in some special "service mode". I just requested an "other" service via the app to see if someone at Tesla can investigate.
  • My bet is that will fix it. There’s no indication on the screen that you are in this mode but Tesla cleared mine and seemed to know what the problem was.
  • Let me clarify my previous comment about cellular coverage. Even if you have WiFi where you park, the Model 3 doesn’t remain connected to WiFi when it sleeps. When the car is not already connected to WiFi, the only way the Tesla servers can reach the car is via cellular. If the servers can’t connect to the car, you can’t connect via the app. It doesn’t matter whether your phone uses cellular or WiFi, as long as it has an internet connection.
  • That is clearer and now makes me think. I was getting updates within 24 hours of them being released. That stopped for the last 2 updates and I am still waiting for 2020.36.11 I made 1 change that seems to correspond to the new delay. I set disable sentry at home on and now the car sleeps when its home. As you say that means it also sleeps the wifi. I wonder if that is why my updates now take longer to arrive. Gonna put sentry at home back on and see if I get the updates quicker again.
  • @HAL2001 - As long as you have cellular coverage at home, you should get updates without Sentry Mode on (I know I do). When an update is available for your car, Tesla pings the car via cellular, and the car then wakes up and attempts to connect to WiFi to download the update.
  • Shucks, I guess my getting the updates within 24 hours of their release is over. Still waiting for .11
  • Thanks for the feedback! I've definitely had cellular connectivity for the past 3 months. So hoping that the problem is on Tesla's end -- regarding the car being in the wrong mode.

I'll let you know what I find out.
  • For me, this issue started some time last week, so it may or may not be related. I thought it was due to either the iOS 14 update, or Tesla system outage.

In the app, under notifications, the number of vehicles was set to 0. I had to re-select my car, the number of vehicles was updated to 1, and notifications started working again.

Hope that helps.
  • Issue resolved!
    Spoke to Tesla service center. The guy on the phone "reset some things on his end", which he explained to be clearing some cache, toggling the service/delivery mode, and then pushing 2020.36.11 to my car. I've received two notifications on my phone since then (software update available and software update complete).
  • > @"johnathan.chick_98423356" said:
    > Issue resolved!
    > Spoke to Tesla service center. The guy on the phone "reset some things on his end", which he explained to be clearing some cache, toggling the service/delivery mode,

It would be helpful if you could get specifics about what he did so others can use the correct terminology. If someone else has the problem and calls in and says to fix my problem you need to "Reset some things" and "Clean some Cache" probably will not get very far. If there is a tech bulletin number or your ticket number they can refer to or if you can contact the guy and ask him for something specific everyone in the call center will understand I am sure others here would appreciate it.
  • Hi @HAL2001,
    That’s all the details that I have.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @"johnathan.chick_98423356" said:
    > > Issue resolved!
    > > Spoke to Tesla service center. The guy on the phone "reset some things on his end", which he explained to be clearing some cache, toggling the service/delivery mode,
    >
    > It would be helpful if you could get specifics about what he did so others can use the correct terminology. If someone else has the problem and calls in and says to fix my problem you need to "Reset some things" and "Clean some Cache" probably will not get very far. If there is a tech bulletin number or your ticket number they can refer to or if you can contact the guy and ask him for something specific everyone in the call center will understand I am sure others here would appreciate it.
    >

For me the only time I was able to get the right answers was using Tesla's chat feature. They were able to see that the car still showed in Tesla's possession from a previous service ticket done 1 yr earlier. My local service center called me and she was able to go into each appointment and figure out which one was glitching and reopen and close the ticket. After that its been fine. If your still having issues let me know as I did ask for a case number while they were working mine. Maybe they can cross reference the notes they took.
  • I thank you for your advice. Notifications are functional again. The fault was in an unregistered Tesla service.