General

Odometer accuracy?

Does anyone know if the Tesla M3 calculates total miles driven in the old fashion way or by a new means? I ask as I’m pretty sure it’s just adding up my miles from battery life and not actually the miles driven.

Comments

• edited September 25
    uh, I'm pretty sure that isn't what it's doing. That would be extremely error prone, and you would see your accumulated mileage go up and down based on the state of calibration.
  • 100% agree with M_A_B_MCMLXX.

it is likely based on wheel speed sensor and is calibrated according to tire size.

How did you come up with assumption of it being influenced by battery life?
  • Things like odometers are very tightly regulated in the USA. It's based on a speed sensor. I don't remember where I read it (Car & Driver?), but the Tesla Model S speedometer in one test was quite accurate - more accurate than most cars.

Now older cars used a mechanical speed cable connected physically to the wheel. Today, most cars including Tesla uses an electronic sensor to detect the number of wheel revolutions and update the speedometer and odometer.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:

> Now older cars used a mechanical speed cable connected physically to the wheel. Today, most cars including Tesla uses an electronic sensor to detect the number of wheel revolutions and update the speedometer and odometer.

More accurately its connected to the output of the transmission or transfer case. More current ones use a electronic sensor that gives pulses but located in the same location. I don't know about the most modern ones because having a separate tone ring on the transmission as well as each wheel (for abs/traction control etc) would be redundant and a waste of money.
  • Tesla, like all mfgs can understate speed/miles but it cannot overstate. So most mfgs. including Tesla underestate from 1-5%.

Tesla with 18" wheels is off by 2% which you can check with a GPS.
  • edited September 25
    > Tesla, like all mfgs can understate speed/miles but it cannot overstate.

@FISHEV is making stuff up again.

§ 393.82 Speedometer.

Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor must be equipped with a speedometer indicating vehicle speed in miles per hour and/or kilometers per hour. The speedometer must be accurate to within PLUS OR MINUS 8 km/hr (5 mph) at a speed of 80 km/hr (50 mph). [emphasis added]

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.82
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said: > @FISHEV is making stuff up again.

Nope. It's really easy to check via a handheld GPS or a GPS enabled phone.

I called Tesla and asked them to change mine when I put the Michelin's on and Tesla said they will only change the speed when you buy the tires from Tesla. What jerks.
  • >>>FISHEV Posted September 25
    >>>Tesla, like all mfgs can understate speed/miles but it cannot overstate

>>M-A-B-MCMLXXX Posted September 25
    >>@FISHEV is making stuff up again.

>>§ 393.82 Speedometer.

>>Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor must be equipped with a speedometer indicating vehicle speed in miles per hour and/or kilometers per hour. The speedometer must be accurate to within PLUS OR MINUS 8 km/hr (5 mph) at a speed of 80 km/hr (50 mph). [emphasis added]

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.82

>FISHEV Posted September 25
    >Nope.

You know that there is a +/-5 MPH allowable tolerance for speedometers, and yet you state that manufacturers can't overstate speed. So fine, you aren't 'making stuff up', you're simply lying. But what else is new?

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/comment/2019730/#Comment_2019730
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > I called Tesla and asked them to change mine when I put the Michelin's on and Tesla said they will only change the speed when you buy the tires from Tesla. What jerks.

Of course FISH would want to waste Tesla's service time for wheels he bought elsewhere at an incompetent shop. You set the wheel size in Controls -> Service -> Wheel Configuration. Too bad he's incapable of reading the manual, doing a 5 second Google search, or picking a tire place that understands cars. What a jerk.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said: > Of course FISH would want to waste Tesla's service time for wheels he bought elsewhere at an incompetent shop."

Tires, not wheels. Tesla wheels and it was when Tesla was fixing the bent wheel (no 360, poor quality Tesla wheels). They note they will do it if you do buy the other set of wheels and tires from them. Just poor customer service.
  • Sounds more like poor driving
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Tesla, like all mfgs can understate speed/miles but it cannot overstate. So most mfgs. including Tesla underestate from 1-5%.
    >
    > Tesla with 18" wheels is off by 2% which you can check with a GPS.

Spreading nonsense again? If you had bothered to actually check, you would know that the Tesla speedometer is accurate.

To all: I have measured it in my 2020 Model 3 with 18" wheels, because somebody stated that the speedometer overreads by 1 km/h. I cannot confirm this. My measurements indicate that the speedometer, and hence the odometer as well, is as perfectly correct as I could measure. It could or maybe should round up to the nearest integer, but I did not get this impression.

Since the car does not always have GPS signals (like in a tunnel), the only sensible way to achieve this is to use the motor revolutions (or perhaps some separate rotation sensor) and determine the speed-to-rpm factor by statistically comparing it to the GPS-measured speed. Thus you always have a highly precise speedometer and odometer. I, for one, like this a lot.
  • > @hgmichna said: If you had bothered to actually check, you would know that the Tesla speedometer is accurate."

I did, 1 mph off for me. Police radar and GPS both agree, I'll go with that, thanks.

My Xices were, 2-3 mph off so I wanted Tesla to adjust for it which they do but only if you pay them $2k for wheels and tires vs. $200.
  • Pure nonsense.
  • FishEV, care to post the accuracy certifications for that handheld GPS, the GPS enabled phone, or, the Police radar for that matter?

You always post BS to show why Tesla is wrong but never the other way around.

I wonder why that is.