Model 3

Scratch noticed on delivery day, unable to contact Service

Hello,
First time posting here, I purchased a Model 3 and the day of delivery I noticed there was a big scratch on the panel above the rear right wheel, the scratch was covered with whiteout and as I notified the sales man I was told that the service manager had done it early in the day. Strike 1. The scratch was documented and I was advised to create a service appointment which I did.

Week later I go to my appointment only to find out that the was no car loaner available for me, I drive 50 miles a day to do go work + school. Uber credits is not enough. How they set up an appointment knowing they can't provide a loaner? Strike 2.

I re-scheduled another appointment for OCT 1st, now... I've been trying to contact someone in service either via phone number or email, no one has gotten back to me in the last 6 days. Strike 3.

What are my options here? I purchased and paid off a car only to be delivered one with a scratch, their service is terrible and by now I am planning on returning it. Any suggestions? What should I do?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Danpatino,

We are all on edge here due to Trolls. Your message is very Troll like. I find it difficult to believe they would put white out on a car. But if they did your the first. I would report it to Tesla corporate.

Your past the 1 week return policy so it’s not likely you can return it since a scratch isn’t Lemmon law material.

You have an appointment for Oct 1. What is your main concern? Are you trying to confirm a loaner? Which SC is this?
  • Hi HAL2001,

I wish I knew how to post pictures here so I can show you how real it is, as I said on the post, on delivery day the sales rep documented the scratch and one of the service guys was the one that told me that the service manager was the one that put the white out. Following that statement, the day of the first appointment another service rep told me it was "normal procedure".

My main concern is that it shouldn't be normal procedure to deliver a car with a scratch, the issue should have been fixed as noticed even if the delivery date was another day. Do you know if there's a way to contact Tesla Corporate? I've had no luck with the Tesla Service either phone or email.
  • The app is how service is arranged.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > The app is how service is arranged.

Thank you, the service appointment was already scheduled, I am just trying to find out how to present a formal complaint.
  • if you wanted to post pictures here, upload to imgur and paste the link.
  • Run it up the SC chain when you get to the appointment. Not sure what your end goal is, but certainly they would be the ones to start with.
  • Write to Elon on Twitter. Trying to get something so inconsequential accomplished at the end of quarter is not likely to allow for a loaner. They sell everything not bolted down.
  • It sounds like everything was documented on delivery as you say, so I wouldn’t stress about it right now. You also made a request the day of delivery. Sounds like there is a good paper trail.
  • Cars get scratched. That is not unusual, what is crazy is that the SC put white out on the car and did’t tell you at delivery. I haven’t looked but there should be a contact us on the Tesla web site.

Which SC was this?
  • > @82bert said:
    > Run it up the SC chain when you get to the appointment. Not sure what your end goal is, but certainly they would be the ones to start with.

Thank you, you are right will start that way.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > Cars get scratched. That is not unusual, what is crazy is that the SC put white out on the car and did’t tell you at delivery. I haven’t looked but there should be a contact us on the Tesla web site.
    >
    > Which SC was this?
    >

The SC in Springfield, NJ.
  • Doesn't sound very real but I guess everything is possible.
  • Hey neighbor. Got mine in Cherry Hill. Touch less delivery during the pandemic. Not sure Elon would have time to address a scratch. I suggest you try and bump it up as 82bert suggested.

It’s the white out that would tic me off. Scratches happen and I can forgive them for that but whiteout is someone trying to cheat you.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > Hey neighbor. Got mine in Cherry Hill. Touch less delivery during the pandemic. Not sure Elon would have time to address a scratch. I suggest you try and bump it up as 82bert suggested.
    >
    > It’s the white out that would tic me off. Scratches happen and I can forgive them for that but whiteout is someone trying to cheat you.

Yes totally! It's the only way to go since I've had no luck contacting anyone via email. Funny enough I just got off the phone with their SC, I will wait until my appointment to escalate things, they can't confirm that a loaner will be available that day tho.
  • Did you get a text message with a confirmation for your first appointment? Try sending a message to that phone number. They review all messages, though they most likely won't reply.
  • > @"yudansha™" said:
    > Did you get a text message with a confirmation for your first appointment? Try sending a message to that phone number. They review all messages, though they most likely won't reply.

This is a good point. If you haven’t yet, you likely will get a text message from someone at the SC regarding appointment. They’ve always responded to my replies back, but ya never know. Just be calm and collected and remind yourself that the people you’re working with now almost certainly has nothing to do with what happened. I’m confident they will make it right eventually. Just be patient and calm.
  • > @82bert said:
    > > @"yudansha™" said:
    > > Did you get a text message with a confirmation for your first appointment? Try sending a message to that phone number. They review all messages, though they most likely won't reply.
    >
    > This is a good point. If you haven’t yet, you likely will get a text message from someone at the SC regarding appointment. They’ve always responded to my replies back, but ya never know. Just be calm and collected and remind yourself that the people you’re working with now almost certainly has nothing to do with what happened. I’m confident they will make it right eventually. Just be patient and calm.

Thank you so much, I will do that for sure.
  • That’s the process the app of which I spoke operates. They text you to start the conversation.
  • Whiteout? Wow! I hope you at least purchased a white color car? j/k

I am sure you will get it sorted as you appear to have a paper trail...just might take a little longer than initially thought. Best of luck
  • Perhaps a touch up pen could be referred to as "white out" by someone who is completely clueless, but even that is far fetched.

There is also a provision in the app when scheduling or after to upload pictures and comments. A few days before the appointment they will review those and respond before you come in.
  • Interesting. I have a white car and it had one, very small chip. The Tesla touch up paint did not match, not... white out did.