Model 3

Tire pressure display blank for first 1/4 mile of driving

Is this common to other Model 3s? I ruined a stock low profile tire not noticing it was flat until half way down the street. It had a nail in it which went flat in the garage over night. I want to see tire pressures and related warnings when I get in the car, not once it's too late to preclude damage from driving.

Comments

• Seems to be typical for me as well. I try and check shortly after hitting the road.
  • It’s normal for the TPMS system to take time to show a pressure reading. But if it was flat did you notice a warning triangle on the top of the screen when you got in?

I really hope they add voice prompts to the car.

How did you get that far and not feel the wobble?
  • That’s how it works. Early Teslas took 10 miles to show low pressure, without individual read outs.
  • That little yellow triangle is really not visible enough. I had it a couple weeks back and thought it needed to be bolder and flash or something...or better yet, use the Nav voice to tell me!
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > That little yellow triangle is really not visible enough. I had it a couple weeks back and thought it needed to be bolder and flash or something...or better yet, use the Nav voice to tell me!

I agree, optional voice prompting would be nice.
  • Almost all car TPMS work this way. My Lexus I can go 30 miles before I get a new TPMS readout. The TPMS sensors on the wheels and inside the tires go into sleep to preserve battery life when not moving, they also do not constantly transmit so only do so at intervals (~10min for Tesla) for the same reason.

Only vehicles I’ve ever driven that were different from that are ones with central tire inflation: HUMVEEs, JLTVs, and “tundra trucks”
  • Mine too. No pressure reading when i first get in, after a short distance its there.
  • Exact same thing for me just a couple of days ago. Like the others say, TPMS is not instantaneous. I got a popup center screen, very visible, took about 10 "house lot lengths" to activate. And I agree an audio warning would be VERY appropriate for this kind of warning.
  • > @billstanton said:
    > Exact same thing for me just a couple of days ago. Like the others say, TPMS is not instantaneous. I got a popup center screen, very visible, took about 10 "house lot lengths" to activate. And I agree an audio warning would be VERY appropriate for this kind of warning.

You got a pop up screen warning pressure too low or a pop up screen showing tire pressure? When I had low pressure the only visible signal was a washed out yellow triangle difficult to see...
  • I had the same issue as the op. Got a screw in the tire, it went flat overnight. Noticed a strange squeak from the tires as I backed out of the garage, but no unusual feel. Got about three houses down the street before the screen went bat-crazy with warnings. Stopped, pulled a u turn back to my garage to fill it up. The tire shop told me the sidewalls were toast, and needed a new tire to replace my 2 month old tire. Ah well, that’s what road hazard warranties are for.