Model 3

Donut compatibility

I’m looking to rotate my own tires and saw a good video on YouTube detailing a cross-rotation every 6,250 miles. The poster used a donut from a junkyard to eliminate the need for jack pads. Has anyone located a junkyard donut suitable to fit the Model 3, and if so, what kind of car was it? Junkyards don’t seem to want to know specs (18” 5x114.3), they just want to know year, make, model of the car.

Comments

• I would think you would want a raised donut.
  • Eat whatever you want
  • Why didn't you just google: "Bolt pattern 5x114.3"

First result
    https://www.wheel-size.com/pcd/5x114.3/
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > Eat whatever you want

Bravo troll

Thanks for not helping a new member with legitimate question
  • What a great attempt to draw me out.

Sad day If I can’t drop a donut joke. Not like I called him names or belittled him. Finding a spare tire isn't a dire emergency, so I stand by my joke.
  • Do you have a junk yard spare tire link for him?
  • I think some Hondas and Acuras have the same bolt pattern and center bore. However the rim width is 8 instead of 8.5 and the offset is 35 MM instead of 40. They might only be 17 inches too.

Anyone have one of these that can check?
  • Ok I’ll bite. What is a junkyard donut and how does it replace a jack pad?
  • A donut is temp mini tire you use as a spare with limited range. Space saver spare tire. OP wants to buy one from the junkyard at a low price.
  • @lbowroom I understand, but you would still need a jack pad to safely jack up the car, no?
  • I think the OP meant using a donut in place of what we in the USA call a jack stand. I.E. put the remove the wheel and replace with a donut in place of a stand and then go around the car with the rotation.
  • OK I was thinking of this:

https://evannex.com/products/tesla-jack-pads
  • Did the original poster mean jack stands instead of jack pads?

Since there is no spare, you need to put the car on jack stands to change the wheels. If you have a donut or spare tire with the same bolt battery you can jack up the car, take the rear tire off, put on the donut, lower the car, Jack up the car again, remove the front tire and replace it with the rear tire you just removed, lower the car, Jack it up again, take off the other rear tire, replace it with the front tire you just took off, etc until all tires have been rotated. It takes about 30 to 45 minutes to go all the way around the car.

If you just jack up the car without a donut or other spare tire, then you don't have any way of having a tire to replace the one you are taking off.

However if you can lift one side of the car high enough with the jack, you may be able to get both wheels on the same side off the ground in order to switch them.
  • @Tesla2018 Thanks for the detailed explanation. My confusion is explained in the link above.
  • I for one appreciate the donut joke. I would think the forum police would appreciate it too.
  • Orthomax is hoping for a name calling brawl, that’s all.
  • He wants a cheap wheel, not a donut Jack pad (which isn’t a thing, btw)

I did it in the hopes of making people chuckle. It wasn’t derogatory or at the expense of anyone’s feelings. Comedy is allowed.

We know why you’re attacking my credibility. You’re attempting to make something out of nothing.

Won’t happen.
  • I laughed. I did not think anyone got my joke though. 😟
  • Hi everyone, OP here. First, thanks for all the comments. I thought the joke was funny, so no harm done, although I do ultimately want help. @Tesla2018 described what I am looking to do... jack up the car, take a wheel off, replace it with a spare/cheap donut, lower car, go to next wheel, switch/rotate until I get back to the first wheel and swap the donut out. And yes, I appear to have said I didn’t want to use a jack pad when I meant to say jack stand.

Thanks for the link @Heliogabals - I did check the bolt pattern on a few sites to get a sense of what cars use it. As it turns out, a lot of cars use that bolt pattern, but I’ve discovered that the extra bolt on the brake assembly might be an issue with a donut fitting correctly, and that the studs might be slightly wider than most other cars, meaning not all donuts with that bolt pattern may fit. The Model 3 has 14mm studs, so a random donut may need to be drilled out 2mm.

I guess nobody out there in our Tesla hive mind has used a cheapo donut for an at-home tire rotation? I want what this guy has (skip to about 8:45): https://youtu.be/52W5Pjb-sOQ
  • There are donut spares for the Model 3 available, there is one on Amazon for $289 which seems a bit high.
    On a related note, have you bought a set of pucks yet. Even if you have your tires rotated elsewhere you'll need a set of pucks.
  • Too bad fish didn’t hold on to his bent, curb-rashed wheel. Would have been perfect for this application. I remember seeing someone selling 3 wheels. I assume the 4th was damaged. Try contacting someone like that for the damaged wheel. TMC market maybe?
  • Yes, @bjrosen, I did buy a set of the hockey puck-like jack pads
  • Not sure of your location, but if you have access to Costco, they charge ~$20.00 to rotate your tires. If that option is available, it hardly pays to go thru the trouble of buying a Donut and going thru the effort.