Model 3

Windscreen wipers

I'm just coming back on a trip in a heavy rain (which hasn't happened for a long time, nature is happy) and I realise that the weakness of my model 3 is clearly the management of wipers.

In automatic mode, especially at night, the right speed is never selected and it's dangerous to have to leave the road from your eyes to adjust the speed manually.

A solution might be to be able to select the wiper mode by clicking the lever button several times. It's surely easy to implement through an update, isn't it?

Comments

• It might be possible. A single click of the left lever button activates the wipers once but multiple clicks could set manual wiper speed. A bit tricky to implement and people might be confused.

Better to have a wiper sensitivity slider. But Tesla does not read these forums ...
  • Or use voice command
  • Just use the voice command if you are concerned about glancing away from the road.
  • > @wayne47 said:
    > It might be possible. A single click of the left lever button activates the wipers once but multiple clicks could set manual wiper speed. A bit tricky to implement and people might be confused.
    >
    >

I didn't think it could be confusing for some drivers, that’s a good point. The slider is also an idea, but it's really the interaction with the touch screen that seems inadequate to me for wipers.

Maybe with a system that, for example, increases the speed of a notch with a quick click and decreases it by a notch with a slow click on the lever compared to what the automatic mode has set?
  • > @Floc81 said:
    > > @wayne47 said:
    > > It might be possible. A single click of the left lever button activates the wipers once but multiple clicks could set manual wiper speed. A bit tricky to implement and people might be confused.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > I didn't think it could be confusing for some drivers, that’s a good point. The slider is also an idea, but it's really the interaction with the touch screen that seems inadequate to me for wipers.
    >
    > Maybe with a system that, for example, increases the speed of a notch with a quick click and decreases it by a notch with a slow click on the lever compared to what the automatic mode has set?
    >
    >

Or use voice command
  • To me it seems that "auto" settings is overreacting.
    Car sets wipers on max even when windscreen is only mildly misty

Is there any way how to adjust sensitivity ? (I am coming from Volvo, there is that feature)
    Actually, that is one of only issues which is bothering me in my M3
  • I will say again voice command 🙄
  • This has been covered extensively in the past. The best suggestion has been to push the wiper button on the left stalk to engage the wipers and temporarily use the left thumb wheel to control the wiper speed. Auto wiper functionality based on the cameras/neural net is very poor. Another cost savings decision to not use a dedicated rain detection sensor as other manufacturers do.
  • Everybody has different expectations re: wiper speed. I've found that, since I took delivery in July 2018, the auto wiper function has steadily improved to the point that I rarely give it a second thought. It occasionally does "stupid things" like going to high speed on a virtually dry windscreen or not starting when I would expect it to. Now my reaction tends to be: "Hmmm that's funny"
  • Or continue to pretend you can't control wiper speed with voice command.
  • > @WW_spb said:
    > Or continue to pretend you can't control wiper speed with voice command.

Wait. Can we adjust sensitivity of "auto" mode with voice command ?
  • You can adjust speed with voice command not auto mode sensitivity. That all you should need if wiper speed in auto doesn't match your desired speed for the situation.
  • > @WW_spb said:
    > You can adjust speed with voice command not auto mode sensitivity. That all you should need if wiper speed in auto doesn't match your desired speed for the situation.

in my previous cars wipers were [mostly] set to auto all year long and didn't require any attention.

Tesla's "auto" have 2 speeds. As far it's dry - 0, as it goes just a little bit foggy - "max"
  • > @Heliogabals said:
    > > @WW_spb said:
    > > You can adjust speed with voice command not auto mode sensitivity. That all you should need if wiper speed in auto doesn't match your desired speed for the situation.
    >
    > in my previous cars wipers were [mostly] set to auto all year long and didn't require any attention.
    >
    > Tesla's "auto" have 2 speeds. As far it's dry - 0, as it goes just a little bit foggy - "max"
    >
    >
    >

It doesn't have two speeds. Again if it's to fast for you press right wheel and say set wipers to 1-2-3 whatever your heart desires.
  • > @WW_spb said:
    It doesn't have two speeds. Again if it's to fast for you press right wheel and say set wipers to 1-2-3 whatever your heart desires.

It seems that somehow I can't explain it

Sure thing, "auto" doesn't have fixed "speeds" at all.
    For example, if weather is just foggy, "auto" should clean window like once in a minute
    In my old Volvo there was a thumbwheel to adjust sensitivity of windscreen's moisture sensor. I just had to find a position, good to me and forget that thing.

About what I am claiming - Teslat's "auto" is overreacting and setting wiper speed to "max" far before it's needed.
  • There’s no sensitivity for auto. It’s set up differently than your old Volvo. It continues to improve, however. I, personally, have no issues anymore with auto as it works nearly flawlessly for me (didn’t on prior software states). Occasionally, it’s too slow to start. If I toggle and extra wipe using left control stalk button, it seems to get it working appropriately from then on.
  • Heliogabals - it uses the camera behind the rear view mirror, if that part of the windshield is dry it won't turn on. If the view beyond the windshield is foggy or washed out, it won't be able to see droplets. Sometimes when the view is poor it overreacts, thinking there's frost or mist on the windshield.
    It usually gets it right, and when it doesn't it's easy for you to adjust the speed using manual mode.
    Yes, it's not a Volvo, try to adjust and enjoy the differences.
  • It’s called Rain-X
  • I also have the impression that the wipers are over-eager in the last software versions.

A redeeming fact may be that the forward-looking cameras are very important for the autopilot, so the wipers should wipe a bit more than would be necessary for our human eyes.