Model 3

Tesla Model 3 Performance - All Season Tire Swap

I live in the Northeast and am looking into purchasing a 2020 M3P, but as we've just entered Fall, I am a little concerned about the Summer tires that come included with the performance rims on this trim level.

Does anyone have any experience asking their service center to swap the tires for them after taking delivery? (assuming it isn't possible pre-delivery as I don't see an option for that anywhere) Or is it just better to go to an independent shop?

Also, I know it might be ideal to just purchase a second set of wheels and have winter tires installed on those, but I want to drive around with the gray rims that come on the car. So, I checked TireRack and it looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ all-season tires will fit on the stock performance rims. Has anyone installed these on their stock rims and, if so, do they noticeably affect sound/range?

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• 2020 M3P here. Picked it up in Dec 2019 and as delivery got close, I ordered tires and rims for Winter use (18” wheels and Pirelli Sottozero IIIs) and took them to my Tesla Service Center before my car arrived and asked them to fit them to Jarvis. So, when I drove out of the SC, it had its winter shoes on. I contacted them again this past March and reversed the process and enjoyed my 20” Michelin PS 4Ss very much these past 6 months.
  • I should have also said that Tesla’s can be set for 18, 19, or 20” wheels so that the car can calc range and speed, etc. accurately. The 18” wheels showed 310-320 miles of range, and the 20” ones show 295. Both these range numbers are theoretical max numbers that could possibly be achieved I guess, but hard for me to drive that controlled. My practical experience was 285-300 on the 18s and 260-280 on the 20s.
  • > @jhbisker_98603831 said:
    > 2020 M3P here. Picked it up in Dec 2019 and as delivery got close, I ordered tires and rims for Winter use (18” wheels and Pirelli Sottozero IIIs) and took them to my Tesla Service Center before my car arrived and asked them to fit them to Jarvis. So, when I drove out of the SC, it had its winter shoes on. I contacted them again this past March and reversed the process and enjoyed my 20” Michelin PS 4Ss very much these past 6 months.

What 18 inch wheels did you purchase?
  • @jhbisker_98603831 ^ forgot to tag you there so you see it :) I'm thinking of doing the same as you or the original poster.
  • A few days after I took delivery of my model 3 I put on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which I will keep on the car all year. When you first put them on they are a bit louder than the Pilot sport 4s tires but after about 100 miles they seemed to have quieted down and can't tell much difference anymore. The handeling is about 80% as good as the Pilot Sport 4s. I have yet to drive them in rain or snow so I can't say how well they do in those conditions yet. I asked the dealer to put them on but they said they do not put on tires and that i should bring them to a tire shop and they can put them on for a small fee.
  • itsgrant,

> What 18 inch wheels did you purchase?

TireRack:

18X8.5 FLOW ONE RACE SPEC F1 GLS BLACK
    BLACK VALVE SLEEVE
    433MHZ TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR

Michelin X-Ice X13
    235/45R18 98H XL

For winter I would highly recommend going 18" and swapping them yourself each season.
  • A second winter tire post. I never get on here and there are two.😁
    I have Discount Tires swap the winter tires onto the 20 inch rims for $85 twice a year. No need to buy 4 new rims to mount your winter tires on.
    Here is a copy of my post in the other thread:
    Your tire warranty is not void if you drive under 45 degrees. When the tire was first released, it did have some problems but no more per my friend who owns a tire shop.
    Also, you can switch a set of winter tires onto the 20 inch rims and not damage the tires or rim. That used to be a problem but no more.
    The winter tires I use are slightly noisier but still quiet and the handling is slightly lower but not much. No problem driving in deep snow in northern illinois.
  • Around here the potholes are numerous and not often seen under the snow. I have bent two of my 20" summer wheels on potholes I could not avoid. I have not bent an 18" wheel on plenty I have hit seen and unseen. The extra sidewall height makes a big enough difference to me to go with 18" wheels. I also like the different look each swap.