Solar Roof

Insurance company that covers solar roof

Hello, I'm in the process of solar roof installation, and it’s time to renew my home insurance, I called my agent and tell her that I will have my solar roof done in 3 weeks and would like to update my roof information for my home insurance. My agent then called me and request some information about the solar roof, sent to the insurance company, then the insurance company told they don't cover solar roof. Now I have to shop for a new insurance company, which company you use for home insurance, does your premium go up with the solar roof installed? How much compare to your premium before?

Comments

• I use State Farm, and they had no problem covering the solar roof. My annual did go up $75/year although we did a whole house reassessment, which we hadn't done in 20+ years, so not all of that was the new roof. If I had a shake roof before, my rates would have gone down, as they really like fire-resistant roofs, and really ding you with a wood roof.

Not sure how you get the solar roof covered in a separate policy, but I suspect there is a way. Since the new roof is fire-resistant, even though your old policy might not cover the roof, it might reduce the premiums if your prior roof was not fire-resistant.
  • I had similar issues, the only company that I could find that would cover my home in Florida was Swyfft. Our price went up by nearly $1k a year - in part because the value of the home had increased/ increases with a new roof and I guess because they know, at the moment, options are few.
  • > @pauls_98741260 said:
    > I had similar issues, the only company that I could find that would cover my home in Florida was Swyfft. Our price went up by nearly $1k a year - in part because the value of the home had increased/ increases with a new roof and I guess because they know, at the moment, options are few.

I think we're also seeing some increases across the board in FL because of storms/flood as well as the reinsurance insurance companies undergo to pay out on claims in recent years. What part of FL are you in? I'm in Hillsborough.
  • I'm in Lake Mary, just outside Orlando. I was with Florida Family and their rates weren't moving much so I can only put the difference down to having a solar roof - well, I will have one, eventually - I hope..it's been 8 weeks and it's still not finished!