Model Y

Duped by dealership

I just feel duped by the dealership in Tysons corner, VA. I was first told there was a black model Y ready for pickup in Baltimore and I should place an order for a new tesla, so they can put the Baltimore car on my name. I placed an order for black model Y with black interiors. Then I was told that there was a mistake and the black model was never available. Then I get a text that there is a blue model Y with black interiors ready to be picked up on Sunday, Sept 27th, and if I want it quick, I should update my profile and apply for financing, I agreed and applied for financing. I went to the dealership today(Sept 27th) to pick up blue model Y and then I was told that they cannot find the car and there has been some other mistake. No one apologized, no replacement or suggestion was offered, i had to look for another salesperson to figure next steps. The original sales person went MIA as soon as we walked in and now I am left with a credit check but no car. No one even offered any help or any support on the mess up. This was highly unprofessional. And now I have no clue what i should do. I had made huge plans based on this purchase and now everything is messed up. I was mislead in applying for financing, I cannot get the car of my choice by the date i wanted and was promised to me. I have never experienced this kind of unprofessionalism at any place ever.

Comments

• Me too. They've ruined any pleasure in buying one of these cars. Other car companies wont leave you alone, but Tesla wont even acknowledge you as a customer, no return calls or emails when you have concerns. Its like you put your deposit down and then you're on your own.
  • All Tesla DEALERSHIPS have closed. Effective immediately!
  • @jimt29 - according to what or who ?
  • Considering Tesla has never had dealerships, I would agree Tesla dealerships are all closed because they never existed. Tesla has showrooms and galleries.

@dcmtaTsla & @bro2 - Sorry about the difficulties. Not to excuse the issues, it's tough when a company has a great product where demand is way more than available production. Still, I'd hope Tesla will improve the delivery process. A typical dealer has cars sitting on the lot for months, so it does make it easier to pick from the limited choices and drive off. Then again it could be sitting on the lot for many months having some premature aging. At least with the Tesla, other than shipping time, it's likely less than a week or two old.
  • Yep, not surprising. Tesla is not the front runner for customer service, they aim to remove people from the equation, that’s what they’re all about... Robotics and AI.
    I took delivery on Saturday 9/26 /2020 in SF and it was... chaotic followed by a broken promise. Drove an hour to get there and got a phone call when I was pulling into the center (10 minutes early for my appointment). “Hi Jennifer, we want to be transparent... the car assigned to you has a defect on the screen... need to get another car lined up but it may not be today... etc”. I said, “Well I’m already here, let’s talk face to face”. Waited 30 minutes and they got a new car lined up. Perfect. Signed docs and walked to the car. Did a full inspection, it’s perfect, thanks and see you later. Started syncing my phone and the guy runs up needing one last thing. He said to me “I’m so sorry, but I fucked up... this isn’t your car, that’s your car” pointing to the same car 3 spaces down. Not a huge deal I can see how this might happen. I go inspect new car, everything perfect except passenger door slightly misaligned (debating taking it in). So I felt bad for the guy, cracked some jokes helped him feel better and he was apologetic mishap. For the inconvenience he said he’d give me some charging credits. Still haven’t got the charging credits and it’s impossible to reach anyone now that I’m home. 2020 begins an era of experience and Tesla sucks at it. 1/5 stars.
  • I've also had a credit check done, dropping my score 10 points, and now no one knows when I'll get my car and I'll have to apply for financing again if/when the car finds its way to my delivery center. I am livid at this point as my SA will only ever respond with "we will reach out when a vin is assigned to your account" which in not so many words is saying "don't call us, we'll call you." And no one gives two squirts about hitting up my credit report for no reason whatsoever.
  • Run while you can before the real fun and lies start. It is the end of a quarter and they will promise a free puppy if they think that will get an order. They have 3k cars piled up at a BNSF yard in Alabama. There are other lots stuffed with cars. Wait for the next round of price cuts.
  • My feeling is this. When a dealer calls you to say "all of a sudden we have a model Y that became available" you best check it very carefully. I speak from experience. My Model Y we rejected this weekend. Before I was even confirmed that it was removed from my account the other sales girl at the Tesla dealer was excited to call some of her customers that were on a list waiting. Do you think she will call them and say the truth, that a customer rejected this Model Y for defects or will she tell them that a customer ordered a Y and the financing fell through and it's available? My guess is the latter. Be careful...just my best advice to all.
  • > @tdwin2000 said:
    > My feeling is this. When a dealer calls you to say "all of a sudden we have a model Y that became available" you best check it very carefully. I speak from experience. My Model Y we rejected this weekend. Before I was even confirmed that it was removed from my account the other sales girl at the Tesla dealer was excited to call some of her customers that were on a list waiting. Do you think she will call them and say the truth, that a customer rejected this Model Y for defects or will she tell them that a customer ordered a Y and the financing fell through and it's available? My guess is the latter. Be careful...just my best advice to all.
    Or maybe the next buyer won’t be like you and enjoy the car. Not everyone goes to pickup with a checklist book Hunting for an issue. You chose to pass, they get a great car while you hunt for a Picasso
  • wow, I can't believe the bad reviews for credit checks. Has anyone been to a regular car dealership? they pull your credit report before you even agree to buy a car, just so that they can adjust the lease/loan rate based on your credit report. I had no problem with Tesla pulling my credit report on August 11, and received my Model Y on Sept 29. I was kept up to date with emails from my Tesla Sales rep and got many text messages and emails when my car was on its way to the delivery center.
  • > @tdwin2000 said:
    > My feeling is this. When a dealer calls you to say "all of a sudden we have a model Y that became available" you best check it very carefully. I speak from experience. My Model Y we rejected this weekend. Before I was even confirmed that it was removed from my account the other sales girl at the Tesla dealer was excited to call some of her customers that were on a list waiting. Do you think she will call them and say the truth, that a customer rejected this Model Y for defects or will she tell them that a customer ordered a Y and the financing fell through and it's available? My guess is the latter. Be careful...just my best advice to all.

I guess I’d go in person on the spot and order it with my iPhone right in front of the salesperson while sitting inside the car they say is available
  • > @marcustcohn_613318 said:
    > @jimt29 - according to what or who ?

According to how they do business. Tesla does not have a dealership network.
  • I can't believe the level of ignorance about Tesla's business model displayed by most of the posters. It explains why they're upset - they don't know what they're doing, so of course things aren't going to go as expected..
  • I would have preferred more time spent going over my car, however it beats the F and I guy at other dealerships. After you think you are ready to get your new car, you sit down with their finance guy who tries to sell you every product under the sun, ( wheel protection, paint protection, special seat treatments, and so forth). I actually preferred the fast pickup less pressure process at Tesla.
  • Keep in mind that the OP was buying at a crazy busy time. The last 3 days before the end of the quarter. I also got my car then, and everyone was nice but very overwhelmed.