General

Gen 3 Wall Charger Overheating issues

Hey there-

So after a lot of online reading it seems just about everyone with a Gen 3 wall charger is having the "three red lights of death".

I'm on firmware 08.58 and I cannot charge with more than 24A.

The three red lights indicates that the unit is overheating.

I have read many other users have received replacement units with same part # only to have the same issue with the replacement issue.

Does anyone have some vision into this?

I have been on hold for a better part of the entire day today with Tesla energy support with no luck!

Thanks!

Comments

• I can't say for sure, but most cases of overheating are due to the incoming wires not being tightened properly (i.e. not a Tesla issue). Perhaps one way to test this is to charge and let it overheat. As soon as it does, open the breakers, and open the HPWC and check if the connections are hot (for safety sake, not with a finger). If you have a touch-free thermal monitor, that's ideal. The connections may need to be tightened. Also, confirm the wires are not partially cut, or an undersized wire was used, or aluminum wire was used - all of which can cause overheating at the junction. An electrician can do all this work as well if you don't feel confident. I hope you'll come back with what you found out.
  • I spoke to Tesla and they have confirmed it is a firmware issue
  • @guydude - Thanks! I didn't realize it wasn't really overheating. Hopefully, a fix will be out quickly.
  • I had the same issue and also talked to Tesla. I was told it was NOT an overheating issue rather it was a problem with a batch of faulty sensors in the head of the plug that make the Gen 3 charger think there is an over heating problem and cut the charge rate in half. I was sent a new unit and this at least at present has solved the problem. It took about 2 weeks to get a new charger since they were back ordered. I suspect this issue is why they were “sold out” for much of August and September.
  • I just happened to me this morning, the wall connector is about 5-6 months old and used only about a dozen times. Which number did you guys called to get service on this? TIA.
  • Bad news guys.....

I received the replacement unit on Friday.

Before charging i asked Tesla to push the latest firmware 1.30.

Its worse than before!

Max charge on new firmware and replacement gen 3 is 6amps!

Looks like my wife and I are being forced to go charge both of our cars at a local supercharger.... 6amp is not realistic at all....tried swapping cars.. breaker on off..made sure it was configured properly max it will charge is 6amps.

I hope they replace these faulty sensors asap or sell me a gen 2!

My options are go wait in line at a supercharger or be stuck at home...wtf!!!
  • @guydude - Before you give up - did you reset the amp limit in the car? Did you set the amp limit on the new HPWC? Both need to be set to the allowed 80% level of your breaker. Once set, you shouldn't need to set it again.
  • For some reason I am unable to connect to the wall charger via WiFi anymore. From what I understood the wall charger emits WiFi for 5 min when initially powered on. I turn the breaker off flip it on and usually it will show up under my WiFi list. Now nothing. Also the blue light no longer flashes indicating WiFi is on. I did however complete the configuration and set it to 60amp when I initially installed the device. Also verified that the new firmware had been installed. my car is set to 48a.

After an entire weekend of charging I’m at only 104 miles this morning on my car and 54 miles on my wife’s. Supercharger it is! Lol

On hold now for 40 min waiting to speak to wall charger tech. Wish me luck haha

> @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @guydude - Before you give up - did you reset the amp limit in the car? Did you set the amp limit on the new HPWC? Both need to be set to the allowed 80% level of your breaker. Once set, you shouldn't need to set it again.
  • Just got off the phone with Tesla. They are sending me another replacement. Should arrive by the end of the week. For the time being we will need to charge both of our cars at a supercharger.

They had me flip the breaker on and off a few times and it seems to have killed the charger. Unit is only illuminating a red light and won’t charge at all.

Will update once I receive the second replacement.

Cheers
  • Arrgg... Aggravating, to say the least!
  • I will add that the customer service has been OUTSTANDING. Seems they are putting forward all efforts to get this resolved quickly for me. Very much appreciated
  • While sitting at the supercharger today i decided to ask my electrician to install a nema 14-50 plug in my garage.

I'm using the mobile charger with the 14-15 240 adapter. getting a steady 30/mi per hour of charge. Should do the trick until the new unit comes.
  • @guydude, which number/option did you call? I got to the general customer service. The agent took down my information and said the wall connector dept would contact me, that was a week ago.

My unit seems to go to "3-red-led" state after 15-20 minutes. Stop, after a while, it seems to charge again. It would continue 4-5 cycles like that and then finally stop. Over a period of 3-4 hours, I received 4-5 interruption notifications.
  • @guydude

Just so you know the mobile charger caps at 32A. So even if you have a 50A outlet it will only pull 32.
  • > @LikeEVs said:
    > @guydude, which number/option did you call? I got to the general customer service. The agent took down my information and said the wall connector dept would contact me, that was a week ago.
    >
    > My unit seems to go to "3-red-led" state after 15-20 minutes. Stop, after a while, it seems to charge again. It would continue 4-5 cycles like that and then finally stop. Over a period of 3-4 hours, I received 4-5 interruption notifications.

877-961-7652

Option 3

Received my new unit. So far so good!
  • > @guydude said:
    > > @LikeEVs said:
    > > @guydude, which number/option did you call? I got to the general customer service. The agent took down my information and said the wall connector dept would contact me, that was a week ago.
    > >
    > > My unit seems to go to "3-red-led" state after 15-20 minutes. Stop, after a while, it seems to charge again. It would continue 4-5 cycles like that and then finally stop. Over a period of 3-4 hours, I received 4-5 interruption notifications.
    >
    > 877-961-7652
    >
    > Option 3
    >
    >
    >
    > Received my new unit. So far so good!

@guydude, thanks for the phone number. Much faster to get in touch with the Wall Connector dept. The previous call I made a week ago to general customer service never resulted in a case being opened.

The agent determined my unit is 2 fw versions behind and wanted to update the fw first. He claims it should address the issue and he did not accept the information I gave him regarding known bad sensor. He said if the issue persists after fw update, the next step is to send out a replacement.
  • The fw update does allow my charging to complete without interruptions. However, I noticed that in the middle of charging, the current has been throttled back to 43/41 amps from 48 amps. So it seems like Tesla has done a sw workaround to slow the charging so that it won't trip the sensor!
  • I was wrong, it actually still does trip the sensor. The sw workaround is just keep going! Drop the current by 5-6 Amp and "ignore" the overtemp warning.
    It is the weirdest thing to see the running green LED, an indication that it is charging the car, and the blinking red LED, three times indicating over temp, all going at the same time!
    Time for a RMA.