Solar Roof

How long for the design

Hey all... About 3 weeks ago, I signed up and paid to start the solar roof process. I have not seen anything in the way of the design. I submitted everything they needed at that time. I've contacted my advisor multiple times, and just keep getting blow off texts from him. I'm getting really annoyed at this point. How long does this beginning design usually take? Thanks.

Comments

• Not to be discouraging but I’m currently on week 5 of waiting for a design. The last I heard about 3 weeks ago I should hear from them around now. We’ll see!

I’ve heard of others recently having similar wait times but in the past, the process was apparently quicker.

I assume it’s geographic. Where I live the rainy season is coming soon so I assume I’m looking at a ‘21 install either way. That’s ok because I don’t currently have a leaky roof and apparently prices have been falling recently.
  • Ordering Solar Roof these days is like buying Bordeaux futures, you never know when you will get it other than a vague timeline like next Spring or Summer. But from my own experience design is not the issue, with my original design and 2 changes later the design always was completed within 72 hours, the delay always seems to be the permitting process, which I think is mostly controlled by Tesla, like when they want to do it. Tesla basically does not have the capacity, they are trying to handle a national demand with a small team while other thousands of solar installers are mostly local or regional that handle a small local demand. Bottom line, you want it, you just have to wait.
  • I signed up on June 11 and I still don't have a permit. Was originally told I would have a permit by Aug 11. Customer service is one of the worst I have ever experienced. The least they can do is keep you in the loop. Originally I was told I would get my roof installed this year, now I'm being told March, if I'm lucky. My rep told me they're too busy and they can't do anything about it. I don't mind waiting, but at least be honest up front and let customers know it'll take 9 months and you won't be getting the 26% fed tax credit.
  • Going through the entire process, you will need some patience. The design proposal and signed agreement for the design is really the project kick-off (this is later than a reservation). It took about 5 weeks to get our permits. There is going to be a huge variance in this step, as some building departments are on the ball and others not so much. They scheduled the roof work 3 weeks later. Then we got a lot of rain. The project was delayed about 6 more weeks as they needed 5 days forecasted without rain.

I can understand hating the delays, but it's a high-demand product. Every installation is custom too. Overall, I'm very happy with the install and operation.
  • Lakersfreak, You're not going to lose the 26% Fed tax credit. It drops to 22% on January 1, 2021, for a reduction of 4%. It *will* go away for residential installations in 2022, if it's not extended again.

4% is still nothing to sneeze at with a ~$25k projects, though.

https://www.seia.org/initiatives/solar-investment-tax-credit-itc
  • > @gregbrew_98470014 said:
    > Lakersfreak, You're not going to lose the 26% Fed tax credit. It drops to 22% on January 1, 2021, for a reduction of 4%. It *will* go away for residential installations in 2022, if it's not extended again.
    >
    > 4% is still nothing to sneeze at with a ~$25k projects, though.
    >
    > https://www.seia.org/initiatives/solar-investment-tax-credit-itc

I understand, but I'm losing about $650 (and another $2,500 from my utility company if not installed by March). It would only be fair if Tesla discounts my system for a total of the amount I am losing.
  • "It would only be fair if Tesla discounts my system for a total of the amount I am losing. "

Good luck with that.
  • > @gregbrew_98470014 said:
    > "It would only be fair if Tesla discounts my system for a total of the amount I am losing. "
    >
    > Good luck with that.

I know I know...wishful thinking.
    good news is I just got a text saying I finally got my permit.
  • Now, if they can only *finish* it in three months...

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2020/01/f70/Guide%20to%20Federal%20Tax%20Credit%20for%20Residential%20Solar%20PV.pdf