Energy Products

Powerwall 2 not getting back on grid

I have a Tesla powerwall 2 and Gateway 2. I have solar and grid. Every time the grid goes down and it returns, the powerwall do not return to grid operation. It stays whit the x on the grid. Somebody have the same problem?

Comments

• It sounds like this is outside the USA where the Powerwall can send power to the grid? In the USA, due to utilities, we can't do that. I've never seen the white X on the grid icon.

Not a fix, but have you tried turning off the PW with the switch on the PW and then back on?
  • Hello, the powerwall itself do not sent power to the grid, the solar panes do that. This is in Puerto Rico ( we are part of the USA).

Yes the only way to get the powerwall on grid again is turn off and on again!

> @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > It sounds like this is outside the USA where the Powerwall can send power to the grid? In the USA, due to utilities, we can't do that. I've never seen the white X on the grid icon.
    >
    > Not a fix, but have you tried turning off the PW with the switch on the PW and then back on?
  • It really should come back on automatically. Is the grid power unstable and/or has poor frequency when coming back on? Those might confuse the gateway and not enable the Powerwalls? Just guessing here.
  • IIRC, back in the days of Solar City (pre-Powerwall), some inverters had "good grid" frequency or voltage tolerances that were too tight for the regulation afforded by some small local utilities. The firmware in the inverters was adjusted to widen their tolerances, fixing the problem. I think it was with Delta inverters.

Based on what TESLA has done to "fix" other issues with PW firmware, they might be able to accommodate changes, if this is your issue, as outlined by TeslaTap.
  • > @AlejandroRoman01 said:
    > I have a Tesla powerwall 2 and Gateway 2. I have solar and grid. Every time the grid goes down and it returns, the powerwall do not return to grid operation. It stays whit the x on the grid. Somebody have the same problem?

Hi, I read that your are from Puerto Rico. Wepa! Do you verify the grid voltage? Which SW version do you have? SW version 1.50 should improve this issue.

Do you know that about this Facebook group for powerwall user?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2599787213588089/?ref=share
  • Did you wait long enough after the grid came back? It usually takes about 10 minutes between the grid comes up and the Gateway switches back to grid power. As per Tesla support, the grid is monitored for about 10 minutes for « stability ». It won’t switch back to grid power if « unstable ».