General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Is the Porsche Taycan better than a Tesla?

Comments

• Above is what I call facts.
  • Bottom feeder with more BS
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said: > As for car tech, you mean the Taycan's lack of FSD?"

Lack of "FSD" is a HUGE plus for the Taycan over the Tesla.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @"TeslaTap.com" said: > As for car tech, you mean the Taycan's lack of FSD?"
    >
    > Lack of "FSD" is a HUGE plus for the Taycan over the Tesla.
    >

Hey Fish, eat bag of D's.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > So that complex 800V system that doesn't work on most DC chargers without buying the Taycan's 400v charging option is better? Even at 800v it only offers the possibility of 8% faster charging than a Tesla at 400v. And when you have to use Taycan's 400v charging, it's 40% slower than Tesla. So no, I don't think the Taycan 800V system is advanced. It is more expensive and needlessly complex so I guess that's something.
    >
    > As for car tech, you mean the Taycan's lack of FSD? The Taycan's poor power efficency? The Taycan's slower max speed, slower 0-60 mph, dramatically less range than Tesla? The Taycan's requirement of CCS, the worst charging system? I could go on all day. Sorry, if your sole reason for buying a car is 800V, then the Porsche marketing team has done its job very well. But it is not improved technology over Tesla.

A Taycan is leaps and bounds more advanced than any current Tesla. Full stop end of story.
  • > @Darthamerica said:
    > > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > > So that complex 800V system that doesn't work on most DC chargers without buying the Taycan's 400v charging option is better? Even at 800v it only offers the possibility of 8% faster charging than a Tesla at 400v. And when you have to use Taycan's 400v charging, it's 40% slower than Tesla. So no, I don't think the Taycan 800V system is advanced. It is more expensive and needlessly complex so I guess that's something.
    > >
    > > As for car tech, you mean the Taycan's lack of FSD? The Taycan's poor power efficency? The Taycan's slower max speed, slower 0-60 mph, dramatically less range than Tesla? The Taycan's requirement of CCS, the worst charging system? I could go on all day. Sorry, if your sole reason for buying a car is 800V, then the Porsche marketing team has done its job very well. But it is not improved technology over Tesla.
    >
    > A Taycan is leaps and bounds more advanced than any current Tesla. Full stop end of story.

And I disagree with your opinion. End of the story.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said: > So that complex 800V system that doesn't work on most DC chargers"

Huh?

Taycan can charge at all the CCS chargers anywhere.

You seem confused on the battery tech as your statement above is so wildly wrong.

"Porsche Taycan Turbo Owner Completes Epic 11,000-Mile Road Trip"
    https://insideevs.com/news/404931/porsche-taycan-turbo-road-trip/

Plus charging next to me at EA one fine day.

https://imgur.com/QkrFZQU
  • “ all the car tech”

Like leather wrapped, hand stitched ball warmer?
  • Porsche world class expertise in the technology of the boxer engine and engine transmission should make the Taycan a much better car than an upstart like Tesla without this experience.
  • > @inconel said:
    > Porsche world class expertise in the technology of the boxer engine and engine transmission should make the Taycan a much better car than an upstart like Tesla without this experience.

I like your sarcasm.
  • Remember charging speed does not necessarily mean faster net charging.

If the Taycan is half as efficient as the Model S, it requires twice the charging power to yield the same number of miles range.
  • Energy, not power, but it’s all Greek to Fish anyway.
  • 800V system means theoretically capable of faster charging. Another way to look at it, is whether or not an 800V system is necessary in the first place. If you are efficient enough, 400V is fine.
  • I never understood how we currently represent
    charging speed: 20 to 80% in 30 minutes, 270kW, 800V, etc.

Why not use something that most everyone would understand and which is much more representative and comparable like "average charging speed between 20 and 80% SOC is 700 miles per hour"

Wait, I might actually know why a less clear metric is better to some manufacturers...
  • @inconel,

Average power is the most direct way to represent it, however average miles added per hour would be a more useful metric to most.
  • > @inconel said:
    > Wait, I might actually know why a less clear metric is better to some manufacturers...

Precisely. Porsche would want you to think up to 350kW charging speed is faster without telling you the truth that even though 350kW is more than 250kW, its actually charging slower.

Its a similar analogy as how a civic with a 12 gallon tank fills its gas tank faster than the F350 with a 35 gallon tank.
  • Also, the Taycan cannot charge at 350 kW (no car can currently). It's limited to a peak 270 kW at select 800V CCS stations that can support it.
    > Also, the Taycan cannot charge at 350 kW (no car can currently). It's limited to a peak 270 kW at select 800V CCS stations that can support it.

room for improvement is not necessarily a bad thing. Taycan is a great ev...if i had the means Id own one and a couple of teslas. No audis though. And never ever an audi ice
  • @Spuzzz - I agree. I have nothing against going to 800V, as it is an accomplishment of sorts. It's just not the wonder feature that marketing tends to tout. Even with that ability, charging miles accrue slower than the Model S at 400V.

I may be wrong, but I think Lucid is going to 900V. Unknown how fast it accrues charging miles over the critical 20% to 80% range.
  • I think they said 920V.
    > > @FISHEV said:
    > > > @"TeslaTap.com" said: > So that complex 800V system that doesn't work on most DC chargers"
    > >
    > > Huh?
    > >
    > > Taycan can charge at all the CCS chargers anywhere.
    >
    > Yes, but quite slowly. CCS AC charging is painful for long trips, requiring 5+ hours to get a full charge.
    >
    > I was specifically talking about DC fast charging. Most DC-CCS connections today are limited to 500v. Yes, there are a few of the latest CCS connections that can go up to 1000v, but very few today.
    >
    > So you have to buy the 150 kW 400v option on the Taycan to charge at most DC CCS locations, which is far slower than the 800v 270kW they like to promote, and dramatically slower than new Teslas, especially considering the really poor efficiency of the Taycan.
    >

In my area, and on the way between major cities from my area, this is false. CCS DC fast chargers are as fast or faster than SCs. But it really doesn’t matter. CCS is becoming de facto standard, more plentiful and market forces will ensure that they get even faster. The biggest issue I’ve experienced with CCS vs SCs is the hassle of having to pay and use cards.