General

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Is the Porsche Taycan better than a Tesla?

Comments

• “ CCS is becoming de facto standard”

With what metric? Certainly not total kWh delivered.
  • It was more this total clanger which showed the poster was either ignorant of the fact that the Porshce, while having the advanced 800V system can charge at all the public chargers or just being deceptive.

> @"TeslaTap.com" said: > So that complex 800V system that doesn't work on most DC chargers"
  • not even that complex 800V system can deliver miles of range faster than a Model S on a supercharger
  • “ while having the advanced 800V system can charge at all the public chargers”

At what voltage does it charge on most DC chargers?
  • Currently, about 85% of EVs in North America use the Tesla charging connection
    about 10% of EVs use CHAdeMO (mostly Leafs)
    The last 5% are failed EVs that use the awful CCS charging system

The fact that one person in the USA happens to have a couple of fast DC CCS charging connections near them doesn't change the fact that it's a really poor choice in North America for almost all that are buying an EV.

I have no problem if someone scopes out the limited CCS locations that work for them and are willing to put up with the connection and network hassles of CCS. Go for it!

I forgot about the security in numbers. I never worry at Superchargers, as there are often 2 or 3 others charging on the routes I take. With CCS chargers, I always see them empty. I don't know if that's because they are broken or so few users. That means being alone if you have to charge at CCS, which some are at sketchy locations. No thanks.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Currently, about 85% of EVs in North America use the Tesla charging connection
    > about 10% of EVs use CHAdeMO (mostly Leafs)
    > The last 5% are failed EVs that use the awful CCS charging system
    >
    > The fact that one person in the USA happens to have a couple of fast DC CCS charging connections near them doesn't change the fact that it's a really poor choice in North America for almost all that are buying an EV.
    >
    > I have no problem if someone scopes out the limited CCS locations that work for them and are willing to put up with the connection and network hassles of CCS. Go for it!
    >
    > I forgot about the security in numbers. I never worry at Superchargers, as there are often 2 or 3 others charging on the routes I take. With CCS chargers, I always see them empty. I don't know if that's because they are broken or so few users. That means being alone if you have to charge at CCS, which some are at sketchy locations. No thanks.

CCS chargers are empty bc no one is traveling in compliance EV's with lacking range and charging network.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > ... Porshce, while having the advanced 800V system can charge at all the public chargers or just being deceptive.

No, you have to find an 800v CCS connection to use that fast DC charging. Now it is true that a Taycan can charge at any CCS connection, but many are either slow AC (< 50 kW) or limited to 400v and 150 kW. So yes they can charge, just even slower at most CCS charge points. That's why the Taycan has a 400v charging option. If they didn't need 400v charging, they would not have engineered it into the car.
  • @TeslaTap.com, sorry I have to disagree. We have plenty of 350 EA chargers in Atlanta area.
  • Is 400V charging the added expense option on the Taycan? Can’t keep all the extra costs straight.
  • Yes I believe it is a paid option
  • Just checked, Taycan comes standard with 400V charging limited to 50kW. $460 option to increase 400V charging to a whopping 150kW.
  • That’s the specialty here. Delusional fantasy about ineffective masks and bankwuptcy and Elon’s lies.

Oh...and the supremacy of the aryan automobile.
  • Come on @Bighorn I am sure there are some Porsche owners that would love to charge at a max 50kW so they can sit there forever and allow other people to just stand and stare in awe of the Taycan...at the Target in Atlanta that according to a Jaguar I-Pace owner, like the "ambiance" of the station.

:)
  • Target is the Neiman Marcus of Walmart shoppers. Fortunately, Porsche stuck with Walmart.
  • Grandson, go back to your basement and finish your dinner! Now!
  • @Bighorn

What should be pointed out is that you CANNOT buy a Taycan for under $200,000.*

Receipts: https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1346484263835856898?s=20

*fully loaded
  • You cannot buy ANY Taycan for under $200,000
  • Same asterisk applies
  • My grandson bought full latex costume when I asked him what for he said: " It's for Halloween". Silly boy.
  • > @SamO said:
    > You cannot buy ANY Taycan for under $200,000

Utter BS.
  • You 100% irrefutable.
  • You cannot buy any variant of Taycan, fully loaded, for under $200,000.

Just as I stated repeatedly above.

How else will my neighbor not think I bought the cheap one, unless I have the matching monogrammed SportDesign Package in Carbon Fiber? The purpose of a Porsche is not performance. It’s to shoes everyone hoed exclusive one can be.

Receipts: https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/the-porsche-taycan-gets-ludicrously-expensive-with-options-ar186474.html
  • Shoes= show
    Hoed = how
  • @SamO
    Not a reader.

Like I explained.