General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Is the Porsche Taycan better than a Tesla?

Comments

• I was under 300 with 2016 S 75 before it got colder in GA. Now I am around 340.
  • Thanks for the info, I was at 272wt/mi on my MYP after 8,500mi, kinda of a LeadFoot so that’s good, I guess
  • Think my P3D- is 278.
  • Not difficult to achieve 220 though.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Not difficult to achieve 220 though.

No way Jose
  • Very very easy. Even a caveman can do it.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > I never said a Taycan couldn't charge at any working CCS connection - but that many connections are quite slow. CCS AC charging is very slow, limited to 11 kW on the Taycan, and DC "fast" charging is limited to 50 kW at 400v or 150 kW if you buy the special 400v option. Many CCS connections peak at 150 kW or less. Only the very latest high-power CCS connections support a peak of 270 kW.
    >
    >

It’s good enough to cross the USA faster than any Tesla has. This makes CCS quibbles practically irrelevant.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Let's look at how fast cars actually charge:
    >
    > A Porsche Taycan Turbo requires 49 kWh to go 100 mi. At a peak charging rate of 270 kW, it's charging at a rate of 551 miles/hour
    >
    > A Tesla Model S LR+: only require 31 kW to go 100 miles. At a peak charging rate of 250 kW, it's charging at a rate of 806 miles an hour.
    >
    > A Tesla Model 3 LR is even better, at only needing 25 kWh to go 100 miles. At a peak charging rate of 250 kW, it's charging at a rate of 1000 miles an hour.
    >
    > Every Tesla currently being sold charges faster than the Taycan!

Yet no Tesla has crossed the U.S. faster than Taycan. Who do I need to care about marketing claims again?
  • > @tldickerson said:
    > How many REAL miles do most of you people get with your Tesla's? Please post your Model, Year and battery size. I think that some of us are curious to see if we're really getting anywhere near what Tesla claims we should be getting.

Tl MSP90D w/21” at 105k miles... in the real world in the lovely unchallenging SoCal terrain and climate, about 180-210 miles @90-100% SOC driving posted speed limits. Excepting build quality, component reliability and accoutrements which are severely lacking for a 150K car, very happy with this car vs my previous versions. A Taycan would be an upgrade in every way including range with exceptions being maybe AP and cargo room.

Hope that answers you more directly.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > My P85+ is at 318 Wh/m long term.
    > I drove 100 miles yesterday to go skiing, up 5000 feet. And averaged 301 Wh/m RT. Temps in 30s. Heat at 76.

Not possible “up” and at those temperatures.
  • Yet it happened. WTF?
    Hint: Up goes back down in a RT (round trip) scenario. My first 15 miles on return were about -185 Wh/h. (That short symbol means negative)
  • “ It’s good enough to cross the USA faster than any Tesla has. This makes CCS quibbles practically irrelevant”

This somehow means that anyone can go anywhere in the US as easily and conveniently as on the supercharger network?
  • > @lbowroom said: > This somehow means that anyone can go anywhere in the US as easily and conveniently as on the supercharger network?"

Yes. Making 11,000 round trip on DC fast chargers or making a speed run across country on DC fast chargers mean you can make 11,000 mile trips around NA and fast country trips all using public fast DC charging network.

Be sure to bring your CCS adapter if in a Tesla.
  • Sheesh...the Teslerati are on a wild Porsche kick today.
  • > @tldickerson said:
    > How many REAL miles do most of you people get with your Tesla's? Please post your Model, Year and battery size. I think that some of us are curious to see if we're really getting anywhere near what Tesla claims we should be getting.

2017 S90D (Dec 2016 Build). Longest distance was 221 miles (leaving well charged from home) with a comfortable margin. But unless well charged before the trip that distance isn't efficient because charging (at superchargers) above 80% is slow (Bighorn is absolutely right).

On a separate note, there is no EA charging site (existing or planned) on my normal route between Wytheville VA and Columbus OH. I would need to take a much longer route to Columbus from my South Carolina home, and likely would not be able to make the trip in one day. A bit under 12 hours (more if there is a backup in Charlotte) for about 680 miles is enough for me, although I know some others would be comfortable with more. I'm sure there are many routes that are sufficiently well covered by EA; I just happen to have a reason for trips where EA coverage isn't available.
  • Fish, I asked if a=b and you replied yes, a=a
  • > @RAR said: > On a separate note, there is no EA charging site (existing or planned) on my normal route between Wytheville VA and Columbus OH. "

Which is off the main travel path and not even on Phase II plans. Two routes via EA chargers one North and one South based on the volume and interstates.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/assets/pdf/Cycle%202%20National%20ZEV%20Investment%20Plan%20-%20Public%20Version%20vF.50bb1fe0.pdf

If you look at the document above it details Phase II and shows the travel volume that the charger network is based upon.

It also has an addresss that you can contact EA and request a charger location which is what EA did when first designing the charging network.
  • This topic will all be a mute point when the plaid comes out...
  • > @Aerodyne said:
    > This topic will all be a mute point when the plaid comes out...

Why do you think so?
  • Range, and probably better charging speed with the new tabless cell technology.
  • 520+ miles
    Faster
    Quicker
  • > @Aerodyne said:
    > Range, and probably better charging speed with the new tabless cell technology.

Tesla already has best in class range. How does more range make the topic a mute point for you? I’m trying to understand your perspective. Mine is that I already have a car with more than enough range for what I do. Taycan is an improvement on that. So how does MS Plaid having even more range make any practical difference that would mute this point?
  • Most of us are saying that the Taycan appears to absolutely be a good car, even a great car by many metrics. It just isn't the best car given many important metrics.
    It is probably fine for most uses by most people if they can and want to afford it.
    From an altruistic perspective, it is awesome since it:
    - probably replaces an ICE
    - establishes hands-down that renewable energy cars are superior to (even a "smack-down" to) ICE
    - helps fund the development of sustainable EV technology
    - creates a sustainable dream car for folks to aspire to owning.
    Go Porsche!
  • Are you guys just having fun with that word, or what?

Moot. Not mute.
  • > @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" said:
    > Most of us are saying that the Taycan appears to absolutely be a good car, even a great car by many metrics. It just isn't the best car given many important metrics."

Fairer to say Taycan is the best EV out there by all the metrics except single charge range.