Model Y

Thoughts on Additional Home Charger

My MY is on order and I was looking for a second charger.

Current setup is as follows, Tesla Gen 2 wall charger on 60 amp breaker (currently for the M3) and additional NEMA 14-50 outlet on 50 amp breaker.

So I was looking around and thinking maybe get another Gen2 wall charger or even a Gen 3. Then I started to look around and for some reason I happened to log into my Blink account. I don’t use Blink to much only when I travel when there are no Tesla chargers around or sometimes in public parking places (some are even free to charge in NJ). Anyways it asked me if I wanted to upgrade my account to Pro for free and get $5 of free charging credit and 25% off a new charger plus $100 in charging credit if you buy the charger. Ok so I decided to check it out and see what this deal was and turns out it is not a bad deal at all.

So this is the charger https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Electric-Vehicle-Charger-Charging/dp/B00IOT4RSA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Home+Level+2+Electric+Vehicle+%28EV%29+Charger+with+blink&qid=1601759691&sr=8-1

It is 7.2kW so should charge at 32 amps and has 18 ft cord.

While on Amazon I noticed they have posted 2 ways to get 30% off the purchase.

$399.99 cost
$120.00 using either of the 2 30% off coupons listed on Amazon.
$279.99 net cost from Amazon
$100.00 charging credit (added to your account after by calling)
$179.99 net after charging credit
$84.00 if you use the IRS 30% off form on your taxes
$95.99 potential cost after all discounts applied.

Codes for checkout if you are interested.
Save 30% on the Blink Home Charger Thanks to Our Friends at TeslaSoCal! Enter code TESLASOCAL30 at checkout. Offered by Blink Charging Co.
Save 30% on the Blink Home Charger Thanks to Our Friends at Bisimoto! Enter code BISIMOTO30 at checkout. Offered by Blink Charging Co.
Save 25% on the Blink Home Charger as a Blink Pro Member. Pro Membership is free, find out more at BlinkCharging.com/Pro. Enter code 25BLNKPRO at checkout. Offered by Blink Charging

Even at $279 it is not possible to find a charger for this price so seems like a good deal.

So thoughts, recommendations anyone have or use a Blink HQ 100???

Comments

• Wow, that seems like a great deal, especially with all the discounts! Would you need to also buy a charging adaptor? I know the car comes with one, but I keep mine with the car in case I need it on the road. I'm new to Tesla (only had my MY for 2 weeks now) but interested in getting a wall charger.
  • > @ddell said:
    > Wow, that seems like a great deal, especially with all the discounts! Would you need to also buy a charging adaptor? I know the car comes with one, but I keep mine with the car in case I need it on the road. I'm new to Tesla (only had my MY for 2 weeks now) but interested in getting a wall charger.
    >

Yes you do need to use the adaptor I happen to have an extra I picked up off ebay.

It's kinda such a good deal hard to pass up even if just to have an extra charger.
  • I decided to order one to see how it goes as the price is too good to pass up. Worst case I sell it for more than I paid on ebay.
  • I have a NEMA 1450 with 50 amp breaker installed on the right side wall of my garage for my 2020 Model S. We just picked up my wife's Model Y on the 24th of September. I realized if I had installed the outlet on the Left side of the garage, it would have easily reached both cars, with the Tesla Wall Charger (60 amp breaker) and so I ordered the Wall charger on the Tesla Website. It arrived the other day and since I have not opened the packing box yet, (because I was needing an electrician to do the install) - at the last minute, I decided to try to unroll the charge cable for the Tesla Model S and see if it would reach her car's port. Guess what - it does reach. It apparently is at least 20 ft long, and so, I can avoid having the expense of the electrician, and the $500 for the Tesla Wall Charger, (which I sent back to Tesla today.)

I am pleasantly surprised the 20 ft charge cable for the Model S will reach her Model Y charge port with no problem. So what if it is a little inconvenient to have to have the charge cable come behind the Model S, which prevents use of that car while charging the Model Y. (We only charge at night, so we are asleep anyway, and no need to use the Model S during the charging of the Model Y. And we saved $$$ by avoiding installing a 2nd (60amp) outlet.

Just thought some of you might be interested in this solution, if you have a 2nd Tesla in the garage. FYI
  • Hello pbenson
    Do you still have the wall charger? I'm about to purchase one this week.
    Please email me at [email protected] if it is available.
  • I spent a little more and got another Tesla gen 2 wall charger (not sure if this is still available).
    Anyway, with this you I connected both to the same house circuit. This is an unadvertised feature and works brilliantly, particularly if you don't want to take up another slot on the main panel. This will automatically divide load between both cars when both plugged in.
  • I have a J1772 level 2 charger. I also have Model 3 and a Model . I use this charger to charge a Chevy Bolt and a Model 3 with no issues. The Model 3 charges at 10KW/hr and the Chevy Bolt at 7.6KW/hr. When I use the charger on the Model Y it does not charge. The J1772 charger charges faster than the Tesla charger. My J1772 charger does not work on my Model Y.
  • > @marvinmerrill_98357283 said:
    > I have a J1772 level 2 charger. I also have Model 3 and a Model . I use this charger to charge a Chevy Bolt and a Model 3 with no issues. The Model 3 charges at 10KW/hr and the Chevy Bolt at 7.6KW/hr. When I use the charger on the Model Y it does not charge. The J1772 charger charges faster than the Tesla charger. My J1772 charger does not work on my Model Y.

What make/model is the J1772 charger?
  • > @sales_98690314 said:
    > Hello pbenson
    > Do you still have the wall charger? I'm about to purchase one this week.
    > Please email me at [email protected] if it is available.
    >

Sorry, but I sent it back to Tesla already. It was brand new, unopened box and Tesla sent me a UPS return label.
  • I use a Chargepoint wall charger at home with Tesla J1772 adapter that came with the Model 3 and Y, and it works fine (approx. 26 mi/hr charge), ChargePoint charger attached to a NEMA 14-50 receptacle.
  • I have the Blink charger it came and overall very nice and works well with the adaptor.

Now talking just in NJ to use the $100 blink credit will be hard and you have 1 year. Most Blink level 2 chargers in NJ are free or only a few penneys to use. Also there is not an abundance of Blink chargers in the area.

Speaking of DC chargers there is only 1 Blink in NJ and about an hours drive also requires an adaptor to use. Something I noticed was most of the Blink DC chargers bill per charge no matter how much you take. So you are billed $6.99 per DC charge no matter how many kW you put in during that charge session so this is a bit of a deal assuming you have the adaptor.

So if we remove the charging credit and the tax credit you are at $279 for the charger. Now this is not a bad price but the charger is bare bones.

Keeping an eye on ebay I missed them but there was a guy selling new Tesla wall chargers sealed in the box for $250 shipped that's a steal. Seems Amazon has noted return is extended till Jan so I my keep an eye out for a Tesla good deal on ebay. But I do see a lot of issues with the Tesla Gen 3 so perhaps the Gen 2 is a better buy at this time.
  • "Now talking just in NJ to use the $100 blink credit will be hard and you have 1 year. Most Blink level 2 chargers in NJ are free or only a few penneys to use. Also there is not an abundance of Blink chargers in the area."

In California, finding a Blink station that was NOT on the blink was a fool's errand.
  • > @rxlawdude said:
    > In California, finding a Blink station that was NOT on the blink was a fool's errand.

Hilarious!!!
  • FYI, if you are in NJ, the state will soon reimburse you for your home charging station up to $500. The program has been approved but no start date has been announced yet.
  • > @mac213 said:
    > FYI, if you are in NJ, the state will soon reimburse you for your home charging station up to $500. The program has been approved but no start date has been announced yet.

Interesting did a Google search did not find much just like you said it's coming.