Model X

"charging interrupted"

This is truly and utterly frustrating. After a year of no-issues charging at home, I'm getting the "charging interrupted" error multiple times a day. I can't leave the car and trust it to charge over night, I need to check on it up to 10 times during the day and almost every time it's glowing red and saying "charging interrupted". Plug out - plug in, and pray that it will last for another hour of charging before it stops again.
The outlet is a regular 32A 240V outlet directly connected to the breaker, there's nothing else on that breaker and the power doesn't get interrupted at the supply. There's definitely something going on with the charger, is that something I can create a support ticket for?

Comments

• Sure, but before you waste your time at service, test it at a different location. Perhaps an L2 AC using the J1772 adapter. If it has problems, then clearly the car is at fault. Don't bother with Supercharging - that's handled differently internal to the car.

Next test the MC at a different location. That may be more difficult, but again if it works, then the MC is working fine, and it points to your house electrical system.

If the house, it could be a poor connection with the wires to the receptacle or wires and the breaker. If you used aluminum wire (not recommended), this is a common problem. The wires get loose, the resistance goes up, and the voltage sags, causing the charger to drop out to reduce the chance of the faulty wiring causing a fire.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Sure, but before you waste your time at service, test it at a different location. Perhaps an L2 AC using the J1772 adapter. If it has problems, then clearly the car is at fault. Don't bother with Supercharging - that's handled differently internal to the car.
    >
    > Next test the MC at a different location. That may be more difficult, but again if it works, then the MC is working fine, and it points to your house electrical system.
    >
    > If the house, it could be a poor connection with the wires to the receptacle or wires and the breaker. If you used aluminum wire (not recommended), this is a common problem. The wires get loose, the resistance goes up, and the voltage sags, causing the charger to drop out to reduce the chance of the faulty wiring causing a fire.

The wires are all copper, checked the connections on both ends – all solid.
    The weird thing is that it's so random, I restarted the car and it charged all the way, but the next day I started to get the 'charging interrupted' errors again. Very hard to pinpoint. Will try finding a different outlet. Not sure if testing it with a regular 120V one will help at all even if it works.
  • Did you ever get the issue resolved? My model 3 is doing the same and it is a 2020 with 4000 miles on it.
  • Yes, plugging it into a 120 v outlet will help you troubleshoot. If it charges with no issues with the 120 outlet, then the issue is the 14-50 outlet that you are presumably using.

One day at the 62,000 mile mark, I got an error message on the screen saying that the car was unable to charge. I went to the chargeport and the ring was orange, but was charging, albeit at 30 amps vs 40. I unplugged the connector, re-plugged in, same result. I went to friends house that also had a Model S, plugged into a 14-50 outlet and got the same error/result. Drove 22 miles to the then nearest supercharger and had no problem charging. So that told me that the problem was the onboard charger. Called service and they diagnosed it remotely and they verified that the charger was starting to flake out.