Cybertruck

Dual or trimotor for hauling camping trailer?

Hi all,
Would like to know which is better for hauling a 18 foot trailer for camping. Around 10 000 pounds.
Mainly flat from Arizona to Florida on highways. Might have to go up Mount Lemmon once of twice.

What would you suggest

Comments

• A 10k lb 18’ camper, is it filled with lead? I have a ORV 22’ that is 7k lbs and they are known to be heavy compared to others.

No matter, given how much my camper reduces mpg on my truck (16 mpg to 8.5 mpg going <60mph, ~7 mpg going ~70 mph) I’m expecting to only get 100-150 miles out of the tri motor pulling my camper.

So get the longest range largest battery they offer.
  • > @coleAK said:
    > A 10k lb 18’ camper, is it filled with lead? I have a ORV 22’ that is 7k lbs and they are known to be heavy compared to others.
    >
    > No matter, given how much my camper reduces mpg on my truck (16 mpg to 8.5 mpg going <60mph, ~7 mpg going ~70 mph) I’m expecting to only get 100-150 miles out of the tri motor pulling my camper.
    >
    > So get the longest range largest battery they offer.

Maybe not 10k lbs you are right, I was aiming at the worse case scenario fully loaded with all the camping gear, fishing and hunting gear, mountain bikes, etc.

Will probably go for the longest range, won’t regret it for long travel days. Will save two or 3 stops each time.
  • We also carry a ton of gear in our camper for our family of 4. Be carful many campers have <1000 lb payload to reach the GVW. We also fish, hunt, camp, mountain bike,... 1000 lbs is nothing for cargo when you are carrying food, clothes, outdoor gear, just our 4 enduro bikes+rack is ~170 lbs. Our camper can carry close to an additional 1800 lbs of stuff and we are pretty much there every trip.

I highly recommend look at ORV campers. Ours fits our needs perfectly, we’ve even used it down to the 10’s F. We had an airstream prior to our ORV, the ORV is much better for our use/need.
  • If the Cybertruck tri-motor delivers 500+ miles of range, and if you'd expect the range to be cut in half with a 10,000 lbs trailer at 55 mph, that should yield 250 miles of range. It is hard to guess the actual reduction in efficiency with different trailer shapes.
  • Hi All if you watch TFL towing with a Model X they were able to achieve 1/3 of the range towing 4500 lbs. At the end they had to reduce speed to 55 mph and turn off AC. Cybertruck who knows...... but at that level a Tri Motor won’t be able to do much more than 150 miles
  • tri motor for sure mainly due to the longer battery range
  • I suspect the shape of the trailer is going to make a big difference. Using a somewhat aerodynamic shape is going to do a lot better than a brick shape. Other factors include using LRR tires on the trailer should gain 5% or range.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > I suspect the shape of the trailer is going to make a big difference. Using a somewhat aerodynamic shape is going to do a lot better than a brick shape. Other factors include using LRR tires on the trailer should gain 5% or range.

We are talking campers. None over ~4k lbs are aerodynamic.
  • > @coleAK said:
    > > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > > I suspect the shape of the trailer is going to make a big difference. Using a somewhat aerodynamic shape is going to do a lot better than a brick shape. Other factors include using LRR tires on the trailer should gain 5% or range.
    >
    > We are talking campers. None over ~4k lbs are aerodynamic.
    >

Saw an article about Airstream improving range of about 27%
  • https://www.google.ca/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/448466/video-tesla-model-x-towing-airstream-bambi/amp/
  • @Optimusk_Prime - That's impressive. 50 more miles of range in the Model X with the much larger Airstream vs a smaller, lighter APEX camper.
  • > @Optimusk_Prime said:
    > > @coleAK said:
    > > > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > > > I suspect the shape of the trailer is going to make a big difference. Using a somewhat aerodynamic shape is going to do a lot better than a brick shape. Other factors include using LRR tires on the trailer should gain 5% or range.
    > >
    > > We are talking campers. None over ~4k lbs are aerodynamic.
    > >
    >
    > Saw an article about Airstream improving range of about 27%

I had an airstream 25Rb prior to my current ORV 22BHS. Both are ~7000 lbs, ~25’ total length, the AS was ~1’ shorter overall height. Real world long term same roads/speeds/conditions Towing the AS I got ~8.5-9mpg best I ever saw on a trip to the Kenai and back was 9.2 mpg. Pulling the ORV I get ~8.5-9mpg best I’ve ever had Kenai and back 9.1 mpg. With the ORV I get better mpg then the AS when I have a strong tail wind. So real world there was no difference. Well other then my AS was $95k, cramped space, little storage, and cold... and my ORV was $38k, with a slide out, better storage, comfortable down into the teens F, and feels huge inside in comparison.
  • > @coleAK said:
    > > @Optimusk_Prime said:
    > > > @coleAK said:
    > > > > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > > > > I suspect the shape of the trailer is going to make a big difference. Using a somewhat aerodynamic shape is going to do a lot better than a brick shape. Other factors include using LRR tires on the trailer should gain 5% or range.
    > > >
    > > > We are talking campers. None over ~4k lbs are aerodynamic.
    > > >
    > >
    > > Saw an article about Airstream improving range of about 27%
    >
    > I had an airstream 25Rb prior to my current ORV 22BHS. Both are ~7000 lbs, ~25’ total length, the AS was ~1’ shorter overall height. Real world long term same roads/speeds/conditions Towing the AS I got ~8.5-9mpg best I ever saw on a trip to the Kenai and back was 9.2 mpg. Pulling the ORV I get ~8.5-9mpg best I’ve ever had Kenai and back 9.1 mpg. With the ORV I get better mpg then the AS when I have a strong tail wind. So real world there was no difference. Well other then my AS was $95k, cramped space, little storage, and cold... and my ORV was $38k, with a slide out, better storage, comfortable down into the teens F, and feels huge inside in comparison.

Thanks for the info.
    Not the same number at all from what I has previously read online.
  • Don't forget to take the hit with cold temps. I lose a lot power in my trailer with four lithium ion batteries. Plus where are you going to charge the thing in the middle of nowhere? Might be good for short trips in civilization. Won't be giving up my diesel anytime soon. Best tool for the job.