Model Y

Tesla can’t see cars behind?

It is great that Tesla shows cars in front as well as cars on the adjacent lanes. However, Tesla won’t show cars behind me tailgating. MY’s rear view is extremely limited due to big trunk glass. I can’t even see the headlight of the car tailgating me. But MY has a rear camera so why can’t Tesla show the car behind me?

Comments

  • Just leave your rear camera on while you drive
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > Just leave your rear camera on while you drive

    I have done that. But the rear view camera will take up the whole screen and prevent to see the map or navigation. What we need is an option to display the camera view in a smaller window within the map display.
  • > @Jedi2020 said:
    > > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > > Just leave your rear camera on while you drive
    >
    > I have done that. But the rear view camera will take up the whole screen and prevent to see the map or navigation. What we need is an option to display the camera view in a smaller window within the map display.
    >

    Well, you just need a Model X or S then since they have two screens.
  • If there is a car on your bumper it will show up on the screen. Plus you have a manual screen called rear view mirror
  • you can zoom in and out to see your car and the surrounding road conditions with a two finger action on the screen. Tap your screen with two fingers then spread them or bring them together. You can also change the angle the car shows it is driving
  • > @Jedi2020 said:
    > Tesla won’t show cars behind me tailgating.

    What is it that you propose to do when you know that you're being tailgated?
  • So many idiots. Unbelievable
  • > @2000y said:
    > you can zoom in and out to see your car and the surrounding road conditions with a two finger action on the screen. Tap your screen with two fingers then spread them or bring them together. You can also change the angle the car shows it is driving
    >

    Tried that. Zoom works temporarily for seconds.
  • > @"Yodrak." said:
    > > @Jedi2020 said:
    > > Tesla won’t show cars behind me tailgating.
    >
    > What is it that you propose to do when you know that you're being tailgated?
    >

    Tailgating is just an example. When you are at the stop light/stop sign, you can’t see the car or their headlight if the car is close to you due to tiny rear view Tinted glass clearly doesn’t help either. I am proposing that Tesla shows that car behind me like other cars on adjacent lanes. This might not be an issue for other models but it does for MY especially at night due to tinted glass and tiny rear view.
  • > @Jedi2020 said:
    > > @"Yodrak." said:
    > > > @Jedi2020 said:
    > > > Tesla won’t show cars behind me tailgating.
    > >
    > > What is it that you propose to do when you know that you're being tailgated?
    > >
    >
    > Tailgating is just an example. When you are at the stop light/stop sign, you can’t see the car or their headlight if the car is close to you due to tiny rear view Tinted glass clearly doesn’t help either. I am proposing that Tesla shows that car behind me like other cars on adjacent lanes. This might not be an issue for other models but it does for MY especially at night due to tinted glass and tiny rear view.

    Ok, again while sitting at a stop light Why would you want to see the person in the car behind you unless your rear ended? Lol. Can’t imagine a less valuable request sorry.
  • > @yelobird_98747025 said:
    > > @Jedi2020 said:
    > > > @"Yodrak." said:
    > > > > @Jedi2020 said:
    > > > > Tesla won’t show cars behind me tailgating.
    > > >
    > > > What is it that you propose to do when you know that you're being tailgated?
    > > >
    > >
    > > Tailgating is just an example. When you are at the stop light/stop sign, you can’t see the car or their headlight if the car is close to you due to tiny rear view Tinted glass clearly doesn’t help either. I am proposing that Tesla shows that car behind me like other cars on adjacent lanes. This might not be an issue for other models but it does for MY especially at night due to tinted glass and tiny rear view.
    >
    > Ok, again while sitting at a stop light Why would you want to see the person in the car behind you unless your rear ended? Lol. Can’t imagine a less valuable request sorry.

    You don’t get it. You need to be aware of your surrounding area, especially the cars that are close to you if you want to be a defensive driver. I’ve been driving for 40+ years and have yet to get into an accident (knock on wood) and I attribute this to being a defensive driver. I have avoided the potential accident numerous times due to being defensive. You can’t count on other drivers not to make mistake. if you don’t think rear view visibility isn’t important, why not get rid of your rear view mirror and rely on side view mirrors? I am sure you will object to that! Rear view visibility is a real issue for MY, especially at night with trunk glass being tinted. The fact that the car has a rear view camera, I have no doubt that it can easily be improved with software update. This is what I am asking.
  • Some one is tripping
  • Jedi, if you are at a stop light and presumably behind another car, what defense measure are you going to do when a car comes up behind you? All you can do is brace for an impact. Also, as a car approaches, you should be able to see them in either of your two outside mirrors.
  • If you see a car on your butt, move over or speed up.

    You should be paying attention forward and not behind you.
  • He is defensing driver for over 40 years lol
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Jedi, if you are at a stop light and presumably behind another car, what defense measure are you going to do when a car comes up behind you? All you can do is brace for an impact. Also, as a car approaches, you should be able to see them in either of your two outside mirrors.
    >
    >

    You don’t need to embrace for crash. If you know someone is very close to you, you can speed up or change lane. That’s what I meant by being a defensive driver. The key word here is if you KNOW someone is close behind you. With my old Lexus, I know for sure a car behind me is close to me or not, because rear view visibility isn’t an issue. With MY, two possibilities for car behind me out of sight - the car changed lane or being very close to me. That’s the issue.

    I do not understand why people are denying the poor visibility of rear view. If you search around, there are plenty of complaints and Tesla needs to address it.
  • "Tailgating is just an example. When you are at the stop light/stop sign, you can’t see the car"
    You keep on switching your story. Just learn how to use new car in safe manner.
  • No one is deny that the rear visibility sucks. Ever sit an a Model X or a 2016 or newer Model S...….?

    You know that you can have the rear camera on all the time if you want. Can't do that in your Lexus.

    I also know that not every Lexus has the ultimate rear view.
  • OP, try TMC forum. If you have any kind of complaint or suggestion, people here are going to jump all over you. Been driving my model 3 performance for about 2.5 years and it has always had the same problem. It can see cars behind me while they're in adjacent lanes, but when the switch lanes so that they're in my lane (behind me), they vanish from the car's display. I'm not sure if that's due to the fact that the rear camera is a fish eye or what, but it seems that the car has a blind spot directly behind it for cars more than a car length or two away. As others note, though, this is probably the least important place to "see" unless you're backing up, in which case you'd be able to see them with the backup camera. I still would like to see it have a little better distance vision straight backwards. If someone is coming up behind you quickly with their right blinker on, a human would see them from a long way off and would know it's probably not a good idea to change into the right lane, assuming this speed demon is going to fly past you to the right, however a Tesla won't even see this car until it's very close and may try to move out of the passing lane right when said car tries to pass you, potentially causing an issue. When NOAP first came out, I'd let it change lanes automatically for me until this exact situation happened a couple times. Now I leave that feature off and just change lanes manually (well...I hit the blinker and let the car move over for me, LOL).
  • If you want the ultimate in rear vision, buy a convertible or use a Sawzall on your car and cut off the pillars and roof. Either solution will dramatically reduce the safety of your car, but you can see clearly out the back if you don't want to use the display and mirrors.
  • So untrue what some people say. Car does see directly behind and on top of showed visualization but not always.
  • on top of showed= on top of it shows*
  • Don't get it confused but the side view mirrors are really really rearview mirrors.
  • > @AlanMurray said:
    >
    > Don't get it confused but the side view mirrors are really really rearview mirrors.

    Not really. I set my side view mirror to see the adjacent lanes for potential blind spots. The side mirrors aren’t very wide and I heard complaints as well although it doesn’t bother me as much as rear view.
Sign In or Register to comment.