General

Enhanced Autopilot September 2020

My only car was dead, so if I wanted to buy a Tesla I needed to get one from inventory. What I ended up doing was buying a tester that they had at the Tesla store on the last Saturday in September, getting a discount due to the about 1500 miles on it. While I was filling out the paperwork they told me that they were downgrading the care from full self driving to Autopilot. The videos that they sent me links to before my test drive showed that Autopilot lets you change lanes by using the turn signal. After I got the car, I found out that it did not work, and a little research showed that feature is now included only with either Enhanced Auto Pilot or full Self Driving. Unfortunately I did not find that out until October. Like I said, I had been looking at the site that showed inventory before I made my purchase and I seem to remember that in September all of the inventory cars showed Enhanced Autopilot, and the prices were the same as they are now, but in October they all show regular Autopilot. I have come to find out that they brought Enhanced Autopilot back for September and it disappeared again in October. I called the person at the Tesla store that I worked with on the sale and he confirmed that EAP was around in September, but insisted that it would have cost more money - he said that "Tesla never gives anything for free". This is my long way of asking if anybody ordered a care in September with EAP and if they did, was it an extra charge or was it the same cost as regular Autopilot? I feel a bit like I was cheated by the videos that showed the change lanes using turn signal feature on the videos about Autopilot, and am especially frustrated by my memory of what I saw for the inventory but can no longer prove. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• EAP was brought back in September for $4,000 on existing cars (i.e. you could upgrade via the AP). EAP was not available on new car purchases. Sorry, I hadn't looked at inventory cars to see what they said last month for those. My guess is they would have all been AP cars, at least that's what they have been doing for a long time.

EAP or FSD is required for the auto-lane change, but that's a minor part of the package. EAP/FSD today has quite a bit more. I made this table of the various AP/EAP/FSD features that may help understand the differences:
    https://teslatap.com/articles/autopilot-processors-and-hardware-mcu-hw-demystified/#autopilot_features
  • ...upgrade via the App...
  • Is EAP still offered to some through the app? I took delivery of my Model Y October 17, but my only upgrade options are the acceleration for $2k and FSD for $8k
  • > @Kents_Y said:
    > Is EAP still offered to some through the app? I took delivery of my Model Y October 17, but my only upgrade options are the acceleration for $2k and FSD for $8k

EAP is no longer an available option. All of the available upgrades show up in the upgrade section.
  • I bought a model Y on September 29th that I was told was from a person whose financing fell through. It didn’t appear to be a reject since I can not find any real issues with it, When I bought it I was told EAP could be purchased through the app for a limited time. I added it on October 2nd. for 4K. My question now is how much will FSD be. It currently shows as an additional 5K. Again through the app.

For now I think I’ll stick with the EAP. If I feel like I would use it for local driving I’ll pay the piper (Musk) the additional inflated cost at that time..
  • $5k just like it says in the app. It will go up by $2k on Thursday.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > $5k just like it says in the app. It will go up by $2k on Thursday.

Or it might go up by 1k
  • 4k for EAP and 5k to FSD 9k already.
  • Just added FSD to save money later. Of course next month they could just as easily drop the cost again.

One never knows with Tesla pricing changing as it does.
  • Price drops are unlikely at this point now that revenue is still increasing, expansion is increasing, profits are increasing. Like Tesla stock, buy now if you want it to pay off later.
  • > @AlanR2001 said: > I called the person at the Tesla store that I worked with on the sale and he confirmed that EAP was around in September, but insisted that it would have cost more money - he said that "Tesla never gives anything for free".

You've been caught up by two Tesla practices that are not consumer friendly.

All Tesla's various automatic driver assistance systems (ADAS) change names and functionality so it gets very confusing what is Tesla's various sub-packages at any one time.

Tesla taking paid for accessories like AP, EAP, FSD and removing them from used cars even though car is demoed with the features initially. They are deliberately opaque about this and you have been blind sided by it.