Model Y

316 miles, is it a scam?

I recently went on a road trip on my brand new model Y (dual motors awd). Before leaving my house I charged 98%, entered my destination which was 234 miles. Tesla nav tells me to stop after driving an hr for a 10 min charge. WHY?? What about the 316 advertised miles. It was a clear sunny day, so rain or wind can’t be the reason. I started driving at 70 mph and after 1 hr I get a warning that I won’t be able to reach my destination without supercharge. So either my brand new Tesla has a bad battery or the advertised 316 miles range is a scam. Thoughts?

Comments

• Advertised range is in perfect conditions on a flat road at perfect speed and probably no A/C you e heather.

What was your watt/mile ? Must have been high. 320 miles of so when you do like 250watt/mile which is almost impossible.
  • Add temperature to it, lower or higher than 75F you will lose efficiency.
  • It may also be assuming you want to return home and possibly you would get there but not have enough charge to return to the next super charger.
  • What was your range on your batter when the trip computer asked you to charge?
    So far, I've been getting about 312 w/h or 360 w/h per mile when I put my foot down. So in real world estimates it's about 80% efficiency. I think I'll see a real world range of 250 miles total. I'm working on being more efficient but it's just too much fun to floor it sometimes.
    That being said, that's an EPA range. if you drive super efficiently with minimal to no a/c on flat roads that's probably what you'll get.

Our ICE Prius C is rated 48h/43c mpg. I've averaged 50 by being super gentle on the throttle. But I also cant' completely trust the internal computer since they want me to feel good, right? I think Tesla's energy computer is actually honest, in the car. And that 316 mile range is stated as the (estimated) EPA range. it's just the big number 316 that gets the car sold which I wish I had done more research to find out before.

All that being said, still love the vehicle so far.
  • Yet another argument for changing the Monroney sticker - ditch the range and in its place put Watt hours / mile - granted this would be on level ground, 65mph, no wind, etc but that would be a much better comparison to ICE MPG -
    Analysis - 98% SOC is 71050 watt hours - divide that by 234 miles equals 303 watt hours / mile. All the tests I can find indicate that at 70mph the whrs/mile will be more like 320 - now if you drop your speed to 60mph I would guess you would make it OK - air resistance is the square of the speed.
  • If you want to extract the maximum amount of mileage from your Tesla, prior to a road trip, charge at home to 100% and plan on leaving immediately. Use autopilot and set your max speed limit to 65 mph (70 will not get you there much faster). Let your Tesla control your acceleration and deceleration. Ensure your regen braking is enabled. Take several long trips and bring your state of charge (SOC) down to 10% or less and recharge enough to make it to the next supercharger or 3rd party charger. When you leave to return home, do the same. When you arrive back home, charge to 90%. So many variables to consider to get the most range from your EV (driving habits, number of stops, temp, wind, rain, snow, check tire pressure, car's dirty (affects drag co-efficient). The same applies to ICE vehicles. My BMW was supposed to get 26 mpg on the Hwy and I only average maybe 23 or less because the car was fun to drive and I was not thinking about efficiency at the time. Good luck and keep us posted! :wink:
  • Here is a link to a definitive test - test driver drove 32 miles each way at steady 60mph and the average of the entire 64 miles was 216 whrs/mile - so a full battery would go 335 miles. Amazing to me that a 10mph increase is so much less efficient but there it is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVnWXdF97e8
  • No elevation change either? Takes a lot more energy to go uphill. You get it back on the return trip.
  • According to Teslafi, I've averaged 230 Wh/mi for the last 2850 miles on my AWD, Gemini wheels with caps on. That's 74000/230 = 322 miles. It's not a scam, it depends on the conditions and your driving style.
  • I hope this helps new owners who missed manual or simply ignored it.

Driving Tips to Maximize Range
    You can maximize your driving range using the same driving habits you use to conserve fuel in a gasoline-powered vehicle. In addition to driving habits, energy consumption depends on environmental conditions (such as exceptionally cold or hot weather and driving on roads with steep hills).

To achieve maximum range:
    • Slow down your driving and avoid frequent and rapid acceleration. Consider using Chill Mode (see Controls on page 136) and Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 134) to assist in controlling your acceleration and speed.
    • If safe to do so, modulate the accelerator pedal instead of using the brake pedal when gradually slowing down. Whenever Model 3 is moving and you are not pressing the accelerator pedal, regenerative braking slows down Model 3 and feeds surplus energy back to the Battery (see Regenerative Braking on page 69).
    • Set Stopping Mode to HOLD to gain the benefit of regenerative braking at low driving speeds (see Stopping Mode on page 70).
    • Keep tires at the recommended inflation pressures (see Tire Care and Maintenance on page 188), ensure tire alignment is within specification, and tires are rotated when needed. Rotating tires will reduce uneven tread wear, increasing your vehicle's efficiency (see Maintenance Schedule on page 186).
    • Lighten your load by removing any unnecessary cargo.
    • Fully raise all windows.
    • Limit the use of resources such as heating, lights, and air conditioning. Using seat heaters to keep warm is more efficient than heating the cabin using climate controls.
    • Precondition the vehicle while it is plugged in to ensure the cabin is at a comfortable temperature and windows are defrosted (if needed) before your drive. Use the mobile app to precondition your vehicle by touching Climate > Turn On Climate and customizing your preferences (see Mobile App on page 174).
    • Features such as Sentry Mode, Headlights After Exit, and Cabin Overheat Protection can impact range. Disable features that are not needed.
    • To prevent an excessive amount of energy consumption while the vehicle is idle, keep the vehicle plugged in when not in use.
    • Minimize the use of DC chargers (such as superchargers) for optimal Battery health. The power meter on the touchscreen and the Energy app (see Energy App on page 80) provides feedback on energy usage. With this feedback, you can become familiar with how driving habits and environmental conditions impact how much energy Model 3 is using.

Factors Affecting Energy Consumption Several factors can affect your vehicle's rate of energy consumption, including:
    • Uphill travel: Driving uphill requires more energy and depletes range at a faster rate. However, driving downhill allows your vehicle to regain a portion of its expended energy through regenerative braking (see Regenerative Braking on page 69).
    • Customized settings: Energy is consumed by accessories like lights, heating and cooling, media player, Sentry Mode, etc.
    • Short trips: It takes energy to bring the cabin and Battery to a specified temperature when starting the vehicle. You may see a higher average consumption when the vehicle is used for very short trips while climate controls are enabled.
    • Temperature and weather conditions: In colder weather, precondition the vehicle before driving (see Cold Weather Best Practices on page 86).
  • Scam? Thought? Classic pattern.
  • Not more different than any ICE car, floor it all the time and your sticker MPG will never match your driving. Only difference is in EV in addition to being heavy on go pedal there is (million) more factors that can effect your efficiency in big way. Adapt to new way of driving and you will have no problem achieving your rated efficiency. I traveled 1800 miles round trip this summer in model 3 and had zero problems reaching next Superchargers and my destination. Car was fully packed and family of five was inside.
  • I have found for both my wife's M3 and my MY that we get a pretty steady 2/3 real world mileage driving in LA.
  • They need to put a city and highway range on the rating since some people somehow think you get 316 miles at 20 mph and 70 mph. Not rocket science but to some folks it is.
  • I have had my car since June 2020 and have 3600 miles on it. Almost all of the miles are commuter miles that are about 50% freeway and 50% side roads. My commute is 50 total per day. I average 229 Wh/mi per my car which puts me at approximately 314 miles per charge. That said, I drive 60 on the freeway which for some is slow. However, I live in the Portland Metro area and our speed limit on the freeway in the city is 60 so I'm either going the speed limit or 5 mile over since a majority of the area is 50 maximum. Also, I have yet to use my heater. I do use the air conditioner but with the fan set on 2 or 3. Always have the radio going but that's it. And there is a major climb from home to work so I usually use way more battery going and way less coming home.
  • "scam" Holy crap!!!! can we be anymore hyperbolic. Do people actually look up the definition of words before using them. Have your previous ICE cars gotten exactly what was list as the MPG on the window sticker?

A Honda Accord in FL will get batter mpg than it would in Vermont simply due to the cooler/colder temps and terrain. Does that make it a "scam" ?
  • First road trip and very pleased with range. Conditions were almost perfect, but exceeded the 300 mile range I hoped for
  • I think you would get higher mileage at lower speed. Less wind drag and more efficiency. Has to do a lot with front wind. Wind resistance is exponential.
  • "A Honda Accord in FL will get batter mpg than it would in Vermont simply due to the cooler/colder temps and terrain. Does that make it a "scam" ?

Of course, if you follow the pattern of social media these days. Everything is broken down into 1 or 2 words at most.
  • @No_ICE . Great post. Hope the users on here that think that it is a SCAM by Tesla read your post. I too owned a 2018 Model 3 and 2020 Model Y, do not feel any range anxiety.
  • @No_ICE - See if this passes your scrutiny. The issue is the affect of cold on the available kWh - so to get the trip planner to be more accurate first thing in the morning when the temperature is really cold I should hook up to the closest SC and charge - after a few minutes when the charge rate has stabilized then input the destination - that way the affect of the cold on the kWh is known by trip planner. Should this work ?
  • On my recent journey, I actually exceeded the original projected range. I think I averaged 248 kWh for the 500 miles I drove
  • Primarily at 55-65 mph, with almost no wind, outside temperature of 65 or so, and very few hills Almost ideal conditions
  • @marcustcohn_613318 I'm afraid what you're trying to do won't work. There are four big swingers when it comes to range: speed, elevation change, cold temps, and precipitation. To the best of my knowledge, the onboard navigation route planner only considers elevation change and posted speed limits in it's planning process. It won't consider temps or precipitation or how much over the speed limit you want to drive. Once you start driving it will begin to adjust destination arrival time and remaining battery percentage based on energy use. You can track how you are doing against plan on the “Trip” tab of the energy display. If you know you want to drive X miles over the speed limit or temps will be cold or that you will likely have some precipitation then you need to charge enough to add a (potentially sizable) reserve on top of what Nav says you will need. You will need to go through this process at each supercharger stop to ensure you have sufficient battery for the next leg of the trip.

I suggest you search the Model 3 and Model S forums for posts on trip planning. There is lots of good info out there. Pay particular attention to posts by @Bighorn. He's done hundreds of thousands of miles of road trips and has shared lots of good info.