Energy Products

Powerwall Advanced time-based control mode

Does anyone know if setting the Powerwall App to the Advanced time-based control mode (for time of use energy tariffs) affects the warranty in any way? The brief blurb under ‘Ownership’ on the terms of the Powerwall warranty states that it has a “10-year unlimited cycle warranty with guaranteed energy retention level when used in Self-Powered or Backup mode”. No mention of the Advanced time-based mode ...?

Comments

• IIRC, if you dig deep into the warranty, you'll find that the unlimited cycle provision applies if the PWs are charged by solar. It doesn't apply if grid-charged.
  • Thanks for that. Yes, my next task is to delve and question. May sound like a daft question, but how will they know you’re charging it from the grid? I presume charging from solar is much gentler than from the grid.
    So, if cycles become limited, what is the definition of ‘a cycle’?
  • Charging from the grid seems to show up in the “grid services” category.

As to gentleness, when charging from solar the battery seems to take what is available as surplus (which, for my system, tops out at around 2.5kW - it would be higher with more surplus solar) but when charging from the grid I have observed it takes at a rate of 1.5kW.
  • US system - California.
    Different system configuration and data set:
    Peak charge for solar is about 5.6 kW (excess production over consumption)
    Peak charge from the grid (StormWatch) is 6.7 kW where the push into the batteries is clearly topped out.

In terms of warranty - the daily cycling is clearly allowed by the manufacturer (Tesla) and the operational mode that causes the cycling is fully supported as part of the basic design. It's covered.
  • Oops - forgot a data point:
    Peak (sustained) discharge for the batteries appears to be about 5.5 kW.

For batteries, my understanding of the definition of a "cycle" is essentially full charge to full discharge and back (or vice versa) - reality is probably 100% to 5%. Unless you set your reserve at near zero, your full cycle discharges are usually limited and so long as you discharge from 100% on a regular basis, your time at 100% charge (which is also problematic) is limited as well.
    You are paying big $ for the batteries - use them.
  • ...except for that pesky 10% round-trip energy loss...