Solar Roof

Don’t waste your time, Tesla’s final price 39k over original quote!

I ordered my roof on Tesla’s solar roof quotation site. After entering my address and average monthly electric bill, I was quoted 122k for a 21kW system with 5 power walls. After the tax credit, at around 100k net, this project made some sense, so I signed up. 6 weeks later, I receive a text informing me that there will be an “adjustment” to a 38kW system costing 161k !!

I wasted a lot of my time, submitting documents, taking pictures of my property, essentially doing most of the estimating work for free. Adding insult to injury, it is impossible to communicate directly with anyone at Tesla Solar. My project manager has never returned a phone call and takes an average of 5 days to reply to an email.

I recently purchased a Model S Performance with every option and the service I have received is equally shabby. The service center is in a low rent district, the waiting area is equivalent to one you find at a tire store, parts are never on hand, so a simple repair can take a week, while you drive a rental car because loaners are rarely available.

There is no doubt that Tesla is a high tech company with an incredible product line. It is truly a shame that the service you would expect to receive after paying top dollar is so low class.

Comments

• When did you “recently purchased a Model S Performance”? Did you purchase it new or is it used? What repairs and parts have you needed? Thanks.
  • What was the justification in jump from 21kW to 38kW?
  • The cost when up 32%, but the solar power went up by 81%. So pricing doesn't seem out of line at all. Now the big question is do you need such a huge system? Did you ask to go back to the 21 kW system?
  • sounds like the price went up due to the additional kW. It's really up to you whether or not you need the additional 17kW or not. Based on your titel, I thought they charged you $39K for the same size system.
  • > @z32_fairlady said:
    > What was the justification in jump from 21kW to 38kW?

I think the original quote was just a come on, and when I submitted my power bill they calculated the size based on usage. According to Tesla, my system will generate 43,000 kwhs annually. My current usage is only 33,000 kwhs so there is a problem there. Also, I went back to the estimator and punched an average electrical bill twice as high as what I pay, and it quoted a 34kW with 8 Powerwalls. Tesla is offering 5 Powerwalls with my larger 38.kW system so I have questions about that as well. If only the project manager would return phone calls and answer email.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > The cost when up 32%, but the solar power went up by 81%. So pricing doesn't seem out of line at all. Now the big question is do you need such a huge system? Did you ask to go back to the 21 kW system?

I am not a solar electrical engineer, so I have no idea. I do know that Tesla knew the exact rate I was paying for electricity in my area when they first quoted. So when I told them my average power bill was $300 per month, they knew from the outset that I was using around 33,000 kwhs annually, surely enough info to provide a realistic quote from the outset. At 121k the system makes sense. At 161k, not so much!
  • That's a very misleading thread title...
  • For mine based on the square footage of my house they estimated my roof size as 1800 sq feet but when they did remote assessment they calculated the roof size at 2200 sq ft. And therefore they quoted final price $4000 costlier than the original quote.
  • @Pastesla - I did an accurate measurement of my roof before ordering, as I was considering a conventional roof and wanted all the quotes to be for the same size roof. It is a bit of a hassle, and I had to drag out some old geometry to figure out the areas on triangular surfaces. In the end, there are no surprises and the quotes can be accurately compared.

For us, the roof area was 1.75 times the house square-footage. Steeper roofs with larger overhangs will have a larger ratio (single story). Multi-story houses should have a smaller ratio to the living area.