Model S

Another price drop??

So Tesla announced another price drop today. I bought my car 2 weeks ago and didn't even get free supercharging and now they dropped prices again. They should offer free supercharging to customers who purchased their car in the past 30 - 60 days to make up for the price drop. This sucks!

Comments

• OK...so if it's 61 days then Tesla is good?
  • Wish I could get that $20k back on my Performance 3.
    Give it up. You benefited from many price drops and feature additions over the last 8 years.
  • Redesign coming. Soon.
  • > @rxlawdude said:
    > Redesign coming. Soon.

I think that is preciously why the Plaid price did not get lowered at this time as well.
  • At this rate, the S will be the price of a M3 in a few years.

I will wait it out. A range increase like MX got today would be nice too.
  • rxlawdude +1

In other threads I have been speculating that the S redesign is coming once they announced when the Plaid was going to be out. Everyone I am sure has seen the videos of the Plaid S, with all its literally bolted/riveted on flares/ground effects. Do you really think they would sell the Plaid that way? No. There is also having to redesign the sub frame in the back to accommodate 2 motors. To keep costs down via using same structural/body parts, the regular S would have to be the same as the Plaid except for the three motors.
  • Unless Tesla is planning on making a Model S production line in Texas, the design of the car is probably not going to change as @jordanrichard_629778 pointed out. If the Plaid S is made at Fremont, its more likely than not going to be simply a tri-motor S.

I also have not been to the Model S design studio in a while and the interior options look pretty good.
  • To clarify, my point is that they will change the S's look to accommodate the wider stance of the plaid. It would cost too much to stamp out two different shaped fenders for the regular S and the Plaid S.
  • Is it actually wider?
  • edited October 14
    Well in the pictures I saw, they tacked on fender flares to cover presumably wider tires. Basically the car looked like a Model S with a bad ground effects body kit.
  • Probably should not keep reconfiguring your car. You got what you agreed to.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1316454693489516545
  • I just took delivery of my first Tesla Model S for $90K on the 25th of last month. The car has 31.1 miles on it - dealer to home, home to dealer for problems identified within the first 7 days, and dealer back to home to wait for parts. So, before we have a finished product they drop the price by $3K and after calling them I'm told that there's nothing they can do - there won't be any price adjustments after the 7-day window.

Wow. That's a horrible way to treat your customers, and I'll wager I'm not the only person for whom it's going to impact how they view the brand. First Tesla...last Tesla. I won't do this again.

- Raveness
  • Yep. That's how it works. People will tell you to suck it up. If it helps, there are people who buy other brands who get better discounts because of various reasons. So some people also bought the same exact car for $3K less, but maybe it's not so obvious.
  • That's not an apt comparison because those prices vary from dealer to dealer. Thus, someone that managed to get a special discount might make you wish you'd gotten a similar deal, but that would not immediately establish a new price ceiling beyond which no one would buy the car, thus ensuring that the value of your car really did fall in unison. That's exactly what happens when the manufacturer drops the price.

- Raveness
  • > @Raveness said:
    > That's not an apt comparison because those prices vary from dealer to dealer. Thus, someone that managed to get a special discount might make you wish you'd gotten a similar deal, but that would not immediately establish a new price ceiling beyond which no one would buy the car, thus ensuring that the value of your car really did fall in unison. That's exactly what happens when the manufacturer drops the price.
    >
    > - Raveness
    >

You're right that it is not comparable. Legacy car manufacturers play games (or help dealerships with the games) to maintain a high price ceiling. That's because their goal is to maximize profit. Do you think they would really care about owners when they're selling vehicles that dump toxins into the air?

Tesla's goal is to get as many people out of ICEV and into EVs as possible. That means making their vehicles increasingly competitive to ICEV.

Sorry that you're unhappy with the price drop. It's understandable to be upset. If you keep your vehicle a long time and will get another in the future, the future vehicle is likely to have dropped more than the price drop that you missed out on this time around.
  • I guess people didn’t read my link about an additional price drop tonight. Probably a good thing.
  • Yes, you're right - it's actually two price drops in two days for a total of $5,570, with no compensation whatsoever to people that just took delivery and whose vehicle value they just cratered.

I took a chance on Tesla. It will never happen again.

- TZ
  • They now cannot do even a cosmetic re-do and take the price back up. Elon put himself in a box with the $5500 cuts this week. The S is not selling well, it’s too expensive to do a full redesign and once the price gets cut some more and is unsustainable they will discontinue the model. Oddly this is a good strategy. It will leave only Plaid as a super high end car to compete with Lucid in small numbers but with good profitability. Then they can turn to the low and mid market where they are currently being crushed by competition.
  • narren, you are aware there is a base model Lucid right?
  • Take a look at the Mercedes EQS which is now slated to come out summer 2021. Tesla is way behind the curve in terms of exterior looks, interior design/quality, range and included self-driving capabilities.
  • Oh noes, another Tesla killer.
  • The Mercedes esthetics looks interesting but probably unlikely to make it to production. The mission e from Porsche was dramatic and became more pragmatic in production as the taycan. The interior also got more cluttered. https://electrade.app/blog/porsche-taycan-vs-mission-e-concept-comparison

From MB:
    The Mercedes-Benz Vision EQS

The future of driving is here. Disclaimer[5]
    5. As a concept car, the designs, technical specifications, features, etc. are subject to change

The future is here, coming next year. Hah!
  • > @TranzNDance said:
    > The future is here, coming next year. Hah!

You prefer "soon"?
  • > @barrykmd said:
    > > @TranzNDance said:
    > > The future is here, coming next year. Hah!
    >
    > You prefer "soon"?

Yes. Better late than never.
  • Why do people continue/insist on comparing existing cars to concept cars. Has anyone seen the interior lighting of a modern Benz, it’s a friggin’ disco with a band of LED light band going across the driver’s door panel, across the dash and into/onto the passenger door.