Solar Panels

Terrible customer experience (don't buy tesla solar panels)

From the beginning of the year, I was thinking of DIY the solar panels project, but with the pandemic, I have less time to do it myself, so when I heard about the tesla deal I decided to give it a try, so I started from contacting the customer support with a question about a custom project(don't want to go with 4,8,12kWt options they had) and that is the exact moment where I had to raise a red flag but I didn't: I had a chat with customer support and they answered some questions but for the project customization they said some tesla representative is gonna call me back, so

1. I was waiting for more than a week and nobody contacted me back... (Red flag #1)

So it was my first experience with Tesla and I heard that it took 3-4 months to get panels installed(from Tesla web site), so to save time and use as much 2020 incentives decided to check what is going to happen after the order and ordered a 4kWt system, completed all the questions, and sent all the pictures to them hoping that it will trigger the discussion and the only thing I received back is Customer layout and some other papers to sign, even though it still was 4kWt system, panels, inverter, and layout was looking good for me and I signed the papers. Still excited and happy about the upcoming installation. 10 days later they installed the system and I was super happy about it and was waiting for the inspection. A few days later my friend come to visit me and I show the system to him and that is when I realized that the

2. invertor that was installed actually is different from what in the papers I signed (Red flag #2)

my friend is more experienced in the Solar domain, he ordered the same system from Tesla, and his system was installed with no discrepancies from the initial specification(I guess he was the lucky one). I started reading and digging deeper into the invertor that tesla installed and found that it is not gonna work if there is a shade and I have 50% of my system in shade for most of the day and this configuration is not gonna work for this case at all, so I contacted Tesla and was waiting a week for them to respond(see flag #1) and the thing that surprised me is that the response was:

3. quote: "The initial layout you received in your Tesla account was created by our automated software which chooses SolarEdge by default, the layout was not updated in your Tesla account to reflect the Delta inverter." (Red flag #3)

so for me it sounds like my Cyber Truck can be delivered as model 3 and they will send me the same explanation, that the initial version of the product was created by automated software and actually I paid for model 3...??? so I asked Tesla to cancel the order and they replied:

quote: "Good morning,

I’ve gotten a response from the operations manager and to switch to SolarEdge there would be a charge, he has also informed me of the scope of work required to change from Delta to SolarEdge which I have included below:

Remove all panels
Install optimizers
Change strings
Change inverter
Change some conduit

Please advise how you would like to move forward."

4. Why do I need to pay for some changes in the configuration if I never signed the paper for a different system? (Red flag #4)

So if you are still reading, I'm not sure how it is gonna finish, but please stay away from Tesla, the only place where they are really good is "automated software" that will cheat on you...

trying to get this thing uninstalled and there is one more red flag... on their website they promised to install it withing 7 days after power on and in the contract it is only 3 days after the receiving the papers, so basically you can cancel it only before the installation, before you actually know that they gonna cheat and install different parts...

so it is all one big giant RED FLAG... STAY AWAY! Good luck!

Comments

• YOUR big mistake was not agreeing to purchase Tesla's existing solar product lineup. Tesla's limited product offerings is how they've become one of the most cost-competitive solar companies on the market. Don't hold that against Tesla. They have products ready to go. YOU chose to instead go with a totally custom job, which is probably better served through another installer.
  • > @gregbrew_98470014 said:
    > YOUR big mistake was not agreeing to purchase Tesla's existing solar product lineup. Tesla's limited product offerings is how they've become one of the most cost-competitive solar companies on the market. Don't hold that against Tesla. They have products ready to go. YOU chose to instead go with a totally custom job, which is probably better served through another installer.

They failed even with their "product" line... so seems like you have not read the whole story... the questions are not about custom system, the question is they sent papers with one set of components and as fact installed a different system...
  • It's interesting to me that you got confirmation that the layout is automated. That was the only thing that made sense to me. I guess you were "lucky" that the layout was acceptable, whereas mine made no sense and there was no good way to get them to change it. They don't really do consultation or anything that requires the slightest deviation from the process.

In your case, it sounds to me like they made a mistake, they spec'ed a system that could tolerate shade, you signed off on it, and then installed a system that could not tolerate shade. Their excuse was just "The system uses the shade-compatible inverter by default", which is no excuse, really. Maybe you have to pay a difference on the equipment, but I hope you aren't having to pay extra to clean up the mistake.
  • > @Skier79 said:
    > In your case, it sounds to me like they made a mistake, they spec'ed a system that could tolerate shade, you signed off on it, and then installed a system that could not tolerate shade. Their excuse was just "The system uses the shade-compatible inverter by default", which is no excuse, really. Maybe you have to pay a difference on the equipment, but I hope you aren't having to pay extra to clean up the mistake.

if I will pay extra - it returns me to the DIY point, and unfortunately, they asked me to pay for the labor and parts and I believe it is thousands of dollars... so if I knew all of that before I clicked the "Submit order" button I will never do it and I hope that this story will be the one that people will read before the order.
  • Tesla is a progressive silicon valley company. They will decide what you need, what you should think and do, but talking to you about what you want is out of the question. If they make a mistake then they write you off as statistical error. They make lots of mistakes, due to lack of meritocracy, and lack of competition. They will charge you as much as they want. Same issue with Google, Facebook... Just look at any dystopian sci-fi movie. For example:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_(1985_film)
  • How did you get an install 10 days after signing the paperwork? Permitting should take at least that long. I requested an 18.2 kw system with optimizers and they were added to my system. My install is the beginning of next month.
  • > @"william.a.mitchell_98745720" said:
    > How did you get an install 10 days after signing the paperwork? Permitting should take at least that long. I requested an 18.2 kw system with optimizers and they were added to my system. My install is the beginning of next month.
    >

I guess in my case they received permit in a few days and were ready to install panels right after that, but I was out of town so scheduled installation 10 days after the order, but as I said they received permit and were ready for installation even earlier ... but now I’m waiting for the inspection for 3 weeks and don’t hear anything from them at all, and my request to remove the panels no one taking care about too... so embarrassing and messy process..