Energy Products

CA Storm Watch Oct 13

Powerwalls (x2) installed two weeks ago, and am experiencing my first Storm Watch today due to the expected winds in NorCal. Once the watch was triggered, my Powerwalls immediately began charging from solar and the grid, and stopped charging at 99%. About an hour and a half later, they're down to 97%, but the house has been solely running off the grid and solar (no energy provided by the PW's since they topped off at 99%). Hoping the veterans here can help a newbie - any idea why my PW's stopped charging at 99%, and why they dropped to 97%, especially since we're not pulling power from them? Also, our solar production is now being sent to the house and to the grid, not topping off the PW's that are sitting at 97%.

Comments

• I see 99% as "full" all of the time, with my two PWs. If it's hot where you live, the PWs might be running their coolant loop to keep the batteries happy after shoving energy into them from the grid.

I wouldn't worry about them until you've cycled energy into and out of them a few times. If the 97% is consistent after a few weeks/cycles, it might be prudent to give Customer Support a call. Regardless, the warranty on these beasts is excellent, if it turns out you have an issue.

1-888-765-2489 or 1-877-961-7652
  • > @gregbrew_98470014 said:
    > I see 99% as "full" all of the time, with my two PWs. If it's hot where you live, the PWs might be running their coolant loop to keep the batteries happy after shoving energy into them from the grid.
    >
    > I wouldn't worry about them until you've cycled energy into and out of them a few times. If the 97% is consistent after a few weeks/cycles, it might be prudent to give Customer Support a call. Regardless, the warranty on these beasts is excellent, if it turns out you have an issue.
    >
    > 1-888-765-2489 or 1-877-961-7652

Ah, thank you, gregbrew_98470014, didn't know there was a coolant loop, but that makes sense. Love these things and what they can do, and admit I find myself watching the power flow throughout the day. Great to hear the warranty lives up to expectations as well.
  • Stormwatch also appears to stop grid charging (and solar charging) BEFORE hitting 100%. I believe it is to give you a bit of storage headspace in case the grid fails while the sun is shining. Going to a grid failure condition when your batteries are truly at 100% means that your solar is going to go to an immediate standby (unless you are using more that your solar output). My seat of the pants guess is that they are intentionally trying to avoid a grid fail, switch to batteries, change frequency to kill solar...all in the space of a few milliseconds. Likely pretty hard on everything.
    Just a guess...
  • Interestingly, the PW’s charged themselves back up to 99% with the grid after a couple of hours sitting at 97%. Somewhat related, I have read that the PW’s need at least 10% in order to start the solar inverter during a grid outage -is that info accurate, in your experiences?
  • I've never let mine get that low (<10%). My understanding is that even when the app reports 0%, there's still some energy left in the PWs to get things started in the AM.
  • If you log into the gateway via the IP it will show the total percentage including the reserve. When your battery is below about 20% on your phone APP, the gateway login will show your battery to be about 5% higher than what the phone APP shows.

The phone only shows what is available for you to use, not the reserve power.
  • My powerwall is in backup mode and it is discharging 1% per day...I think it is normal....
  • It is...normal. PWs have a coolant loop and radiator to keep the batteries in their "happy zone". IIRC, the PWs themselves use about .25kWh per day, just to operate.