General

This car could be smarter, you know...

My brand new car has a dead camera. It knows it has a dead camera and displays that information on the screen. So why can't Tesla:

- check the inventory at my local Service Center for the part
- order the part if it's not in inventory
- make me an appointment for the service in time with the delivery of the part
- put the appointment on my calendar?

Instead, it tells me I have a bad camera. I have to schedule an appointment in the app for the first available time (two weeks). In two weeks I take the car in and they confirm I have a bad camera. They order the part. It will be here in 10 days. They tell me to make another appointment after they notify me they get the part. I go on the app and make the first available appointment (2 weeks). We're now into our second month of this repair.

We all know Tesla's service model suXXXs, er...has opportunities for improvement.

Automation could fix a lot of this, but as Elon said post-epiphany, "Humans are underrated."

About 15 years ago, I had a BMW X5 that had this strange quirk. If it was raining and I put the car into reverse, the rear power hatch would open. PITA. While drinking my morning coffee at home one day, I posted a note on a BMW forum complaining about this annoyance. I drove to work and about 9:30, I got a phone call. It was BMW Corporate. The woman said they saw my post, cross referenced my user profile with their records and got my phone number. She said she had already made an appointment with my local service department and to call them if that date/time was not convenient. It was a little creepy, but impressive nonetheless.

So maybe Tesla will never have great human touch, personalized, prompt service. But couldn't automation help make it more efficient?

Comments

  • I had a camera go bad and had a completely different experience than you and closer to what you propose. I put in an appointment request through the app and attached a photo of the error. I was contacted a couple of days later by a remote service tech who had logged into my car, verified the bad camera and sent the information to mobile service who contacted me about a week later asking if they could come by and replace my camera which they did the next day. Couldn't have been easier.
  • > @DaveG_NJ said: > So maybe Tesla will never have great human touch, personalized, prompt service. But couldn't automation help make it more efficient?"

    In for service today, the human touch is fine it is the automated "touch" that is the problem. Needed to Tesla to reinstall carpeting after air filter change. Get txt after txt, waiting for parts, waiting for parts.

    No way to tell them I don't need parts, just a quick 30 minutes of work.

    I guess it will benefit another Model 3 owner as now they have at least one set of air filters for Model 3 which they didn't have three weeks ago.

    But the humans at Tesla SC do great with customer service. Tesla needs more humans, less time wasting misapplication of tech.
  • “ Needed Tesla to reinstall carpeting after air filter change.”

    What? No carpeting is removed to change air filters. The console side panel snaps off.
  • > @FISHEV said:

    > But the humans at Tesla SC do great with customer service. Tesla needs more humans, less time wasting misapplication of tech.

    Misapplication for customer contact is fair and your right about needing more humans in customer service.
  • edited October 14
    Absolutely, of course the car could be "smarter." What's more, it's actually getting smarter every couple of weeks.
  • Those are actually good points. But what you have listed would not really be what the car would do. I see those as service center automation. The car should ping the service center about what is wrong and through some algorithm or whatever, should be able to determine if it needs a new part or just a mobile service. Order the part or schedule the mobile guy.

    If you ask me, this is the future.
  • edited October 14
    > @andy_connor_e said:
    > Those are actually good points. But what you have listed would not really be what the car would do. I see those as service center automation. The car should ping the service center about what is wrong and through some algorithm or whatever, should be able to determine if it needs a new part or just a mobile service. Order the part or schedule the mobile guy.
    >
    > If you ask me, this is the future.

    That's what Boeing does with 787. Onboard diagnostics are transmitted to airport technicians, so parts, etc. can be ready when needed. I don't even think it's distant future for cars. It will happen soon.
  • 787 is what planes should have been doing like 15 years ago.
  • I don't care if they give my car an IQ of 225, as long as she asks permission before using the credit card, running errands, going out with friends, or, making an appointment at the SC.
  • > @DaveG_NJ said:
    > My brand new car has a dead camera. It knows it has a dead camera and displays that information on the screen. So why can't Tesla:
    >
    > - check the inventory at my local Service Center for the part
    > - order the part if it's not in inventory
    > - make me an appointment for the service in time with the delivery of the part
    > - put the appointment on my calendar?
    >
    > Instead, it tells me I have a bad camera. I have to schedule an appointment in the app for the first available time (two weeks). In two weeks I take the car in and they confirm I have a bad camera. They order the part. It will be here in 10 days. They tell me to make another appointment after they notify me they get the part. I go on the app and make the first available appointment (2 weeks). We're now into our second month of this repair.
    >
    > We all know Tesla's service model suXXXs, er...has opportunities for improvement.
    >
    > Automation could fix a lot of this, but as Elon said post-epiphany, "Humans are underrated."
    >
    > About 15 years ago, I had a BMW X5 that had this strange quirk. If it was raining and I put the car into reverse, the rear power hatch would open. PITA. While drinking my morning coffee at home one day, I posted a note on a BMW forum complaining about this annoyance. I drove to work and about 9:30, I got a phone call. It was BMW Corporate. The woman said they saw my post, cross referenced my user profile with their records and got my phone number. She said she had already made an appointment with my local service department and to call them if that date/time was not convenient. It was a little creepy, but impressive nonetheless.
    >
    > So maybe Tesla will never have great human touch, personalized, prompt service. But couldn't automation help make it more efficient?

    So you took the time to bitch on a BMW forum rather than take the time to call BMW for service, then you were stalked by BMW and loved the resulting butt kissing? Now you want Tesla to do the same?

    And this is what society has become?
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > That's what Boeing does with 787. Onboard diagnostics are transmitted to airport technicians, so parts, etc. can be ready when needed. I don't even think it's distant future for cars. It will happen soon.

    > @andy_connor_e said:
    > 787 is what planes should have been doing like 15 years ago.

    And here I thought that 'what Boeing's 787's do' is crash and kill people:

    https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/indonesian-lion-air-passenger-jet-missing/news-story/7d99e07c9092831175fcc3621c5493ce

    https://www.flightglobal.com/lion-air-737-max-8-crash-confirmed-189-dead/130047.article

    https://nasional.okezone.com/read/2018/10/29/337/1970236/total-korban-pesawat-lion-air-jt-610-yang-jatuh-di-tanjung-karawang-188-orang

    https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/africa/ethiopian-airlines-flight-et302-crashes-en-route-to-kenya-killing-157-1.835173

    And that's why they were indefinitely grounded by the FAA:

    https://www.theverge.com/2013/1/16/3884428/faa-grounds-all-boeing-787-airplanes-after-second-battery-related-fire#:~:text=Following%20All%20Nippon%20Airways%20decision,fires%20in%20Boston%20and%20Japan.

    https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=14233

    https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93206

    But, I suppose, I could be wrong...Maybe I read it wrong?
  • > @Migizi said:
    > So you took the time to bitch on a BMW forum rather than take the time to call BMW for service, then you were stalked by BMW and loved the resulting butt kissing? Now you want Tesla to do the same?
    >
    > And this is what society has become?

    Talk about exploiting the social media for personal gain.

    This is what you get with a culturally conditioned 'participation trophy' society.
  • edited October 16
    > @"blue adept" said:
    >
    > > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > > That's what Boeing does with 787. Onboard diagnostics are transmitted to airport technicians, so parts, etc. can be ready when needed. I don't even think it's distant future for cars. It will happen soon.
    >
    > > @andy_connor_e said:
    > > 787 is what planes should have been doing like 15 years ago.
    >
    > And here I thought that 'what Boeing's 787's do' is crash and kill people:
    >
    ...
    > But, I suppose, I could be wrong...Maybe I read it wrong?

    Most certainly you are and did.

    You posted a variety of links about 737s which crashed. 737 is not 787.
  • 787 is the newest model that actually has air compressors and filtered air for passengers. I was on one last year, really quite nice inside.
  • @M-A-B-MCMLXXX and @andy_connor_e

    Yep! Bungled that all up didn't I?

    That's what too much work and too little sleep will do for you.

    What'd you know, only Human afterall...

    ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯
  • Please disregard literally EVERYTHING that I said about the 737 as it is not relevant to the discussion.
  • I think that some owners don’t give Tesla much credit.

    When I owned my first Model S (2013), I was surprised to find my brake lights on when I entered my garage one morning. I posted on this very forum To see if anyone else had encountered this. Within a couple of hours, I was contacted by Tesla Service to replace the brake switch. Remember, you must activate this switch to turn on the car and put it in gear.
    Tesla has given me superb service on my vehicles.

    Maybe a camera is not a high priority?
Sign In or Register to comment.