Model Y

Model Y in snow compared with other SUVs?

Hi! What's the word about Model Y compared with other hefty SUVs, like Land Cruiser, when it comes to performance in heavy snowy conditions? Most other SUVs have greater ground clearance. Has the low ground clearance of Model Y been a problem for any owners out there? How are the tires in heavy snow?

Comments

• The ground clearance 6.6", so I would think the depth of snow will be the deciding factor for that concern.

As far as tires...The cars come with All Season Radials - which are NOT designed for snow/ice/or freezing temps - for that, you want a real snow tire. Tesla sells winter snow tire packages for that reason. They don't have the Model Y Winter package available yet. However, you can put together your own winter set like several of us already have.

I went with
    TSportline's Matte Black TST's
    Michelin X-Ice Snow's
    Tesla TPMS

I'll be putting the snow tires on the stock wheels (rims) and using pairing the new wheels with the new tires for summer.
  • @Migizi, How did you get the Tesla TPMS? I had TSportline's Falcon Wheels put on my MY the day I picked it up so I plan on using my stock wheels with winter tires. I just need to order TPMS and can't quite seem to figure out how. Thanks in advance.
  • Go to your Tesla dealer and buy them there. No after market availability.
  • Tesla doesn't have dealers for God sake.
  • > @marym23_98268706 said:
    > @Migizi, How did you get the Tesla TPMS? I had TSportline's Falcon Wheels put on my MY the day I picked it up so I plan on using my stock wheels with winter tires. I just need to order TPMS and can't quite seem to figure out how. Thanks in advance.

I went to the local DEALERSHIP / officially referred to as Show Room/Galleria/Service Center/etc, but we know better ;) and purchased them.
  • > @Migizi said:
    >... I went to the local DEALERSHIP / officially referred to as Show Room/Galleria/Service Center/etc, but we know better ;) and purchased them.
    >

your naughty - watch out - you may have earned yourself one of those coveted 'Troll' trophy's for going against the forum bully's - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Too bad you can't walk in so called dealer and buy car can't you. Exactly why it is not a dealer.
  • > @WW_spb said:
    > Too bad you can't walk in so called dealer and buy car can't you. Exactly why it is not a dealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k
  • Stop being such idiots, so I called it a dealer, sorry, go to the service centre and buy them. I called the "SERVICE CENTRE" and asked how to purchase them. Their response was, no way to do it on line, you need to physically come down and buy them,
  • Watch this video, seems as though the AWD system or maybe should call it software programming, is second to none, very impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGKCV5rHRI
  • Old video
  • I have owned a couple of BMWs with X-Drive, and was really impressed with their drivability in snow and ice even though I only used the all season run flats. Still waiting for my MY to arrive but would be interested in anyone that could comment on the relative performance of BMW vs Tesla AWD.